Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
can someone explain this: my math comes up as around 24GB +/- 500mb. why does the computer say I have115GB used?

I've run disk utility

help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 9.36.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 9.36.38 AM.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 120

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Really, don't delve into this type of stuff, you're going to drive yourself crazy. Here's an explanation though: Time Machine stores a local backup on your computer till you do an official backup. This backup never interferes with anything because OS X will automatically make room as needed. This backup is also hidden, which is the reason for the discrepancy. Keep in mind there are also a few other hidden folders that contain system files, so, like I said, it really is better to not delve into these types of things till you actually have issues. Macs tend to be very good at taking care of themselves.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For space issues, there are a few things you can try:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
  • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    attachment.php
  • For Time Machine users on Lion, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled, if you want.
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

Really, don't delve into this type of stuff,
Why wouldn't anyone want to investigate a 90GB discrepancy in drive space used? It's not like if you ignore it, it will go away.
like I said, it really is better to not delve into these types of things till you actually have issues.
I'd call the loss of 90GB of space an "issue".
Macs tend to be very good at taking care of themselves.
While that's generally true, it has nothing to do with the OP's issue.

Last edited:

djshack

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I had a large discrepancy in Lion that even the local TM backups didn't account for (shown under About This Mac). In fact, I had a thread going on about it a little while back. Eventually, the discrepancy went away. Just another lovely little treat from Apple in Lion, I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.