PDA

View Full Version : XP's adoption rate as slow as X!

gopher
Oct 18, 2002, 03:19 PM
http://www.crn.com/sections/News/top_news.asp?ArticleID=37972

Percentage wise anyway. And that tells a huge story.

vniow
Oct 18, 2002, 03:26 PM
Did you also know that XP hold the record for the most pirated OS? I don't know exact numbers, but I've heard that from reputable sites.

Guess people don't like avtivation too much eh?;)

Taft
Oct 18, 2002, 03:35 PM
Even so, MS's profits DOUBLED last quarter. That new licensing scheme (heavy emphasis on the negative conotation of the word) they have seems to have payed off...at least in the short term.

Damn dirty Microsoft....

Taft

Shrek
Oct 18, 2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by edvniow
Guess people don't like avtivation too much eh?;)

Let's hack them! :mad:

Fukui
Oct 18, 2002, 03:55 PM
My G/F at work, her boss has 3 computers, they run winXP, though he has yet to pay for any of them! He said he got it from his friend who works at a company that copies the CD's.
He gives specific instructions to NOT use the software update features.

He even gave me a copy of it and Office XP; though I don't know why I should use it...

XP is very copied, trust me, MS just uses those numbers for FUD, they know most are pirated.

Vector
Oct 18, 2002, 04:04 PM
Isn't Apple's installed base higher than 10%. I thought it was closer to 15% of their installed base that had OS X. At the last keynote they said they had 3mil installed and they were aiming for 5mil which they said would be 20% of their installed base. I think OS X is closer to 15% adoption now, unless someone has seen some recent statistics that i missed.

benixau
Oct 19, 2002, 10:37 AM
Thats all good and fine but you have to look at some numbers aswell. for OSX 100% is approx. 25mil users. at 10%, thats right 10%, XP's user base is 250mil. that means that if everyone swapped over, based on these figures, it would look like so:

OSX: 25 million
WXP: 2.5 billlion

According to this mac users make up 1%. WRONG figures somebody. Who do you think would fake their numbers??

Answer: both

MacBandit
Oct 19, 2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by benixau
Thats all good and fine but you have to look at some numbers aswell. for OSX 100% is approx. 25mil users. at 10%, thats right 10%, XP's user base is 250mil. that means that if everyone swapped over, based on these figures, it would look like so:

OSX: 25 million
WXP: 2.5 billlion

According to this mac users make up 1%. WRONG figures somebody. Who do you think would fake their numbers??

Answer: both

Actually the Windows numbers are based on any PC in the world that can run it. Not just PCs with previous versions of Windows on them.

Take this notion over to the Mac and what do you see. Wait a minute all Macs run some version of MacOS.

Vector
Oct 19, 2002, 11:47 AM
When was the last time results came out about OS X's adoption rate? The last time i heard anything was at the last MacWorld Keynote by Steve, and he said it was at about 3mil i think. He also said they hoped to have 5mil users by the end of the year which he said would represent 20% of their user base.