PDA

View Full Version : Startup slowing down

JW8725
Jun 7, 2005, 05:15 PM
Hello all,

I've had my mac mini now a few weeks and my startup has gone slow. Ive installed things like applejack. How can i remove applications that make my machine load up slower?

Thanks

Phat_Pat
Jun 7, 2005, 06:14 PM
Under accounts (in system prefs) try removing some of the login-up items.

or repair permissions. that always helps something. :rolleyes:

mac-er
Jun 7, 2005, 07:14 PM
Sometimes it will run a bit slower after a power outage or if the machine is not being shut down properly (it is running a disk check of sorts).

JW8725
Jun 7, 2005, 07:49 PM
Thank you for that, I have a mystery programme here. Anyone know what Microsoft Databse Daemon is? Under Kind is says unknown? I dont use explorer. Can i delete it? Id rather keep this a microsoft free zone thanks

blodwyn
Jun 7, 2005, 07:57 PM
Thank you for that, I have a mystery programme here. Anyone know what Microsoft Databse Daemon is? Under Kind is says unknown? I dont use explorer. Can i delete it? Id rather keep this a microsoft free zone thanks

From the Microsoft Web Site (http://www.entourage.mvps.org/glossary/daemon.html)

What is a daemon?

A daemon is a networking program that performs a housekeeping or maintenance utility function without being called by the user. A daemon sits in the background and is activated only when needed, for example, to correct an error from which another program cannot recover.

What is the Microsoft Database Daemon?

The Microsoft Database Daemon allows the Reminder to work even if all MS applications are closed. The daemon is actually used all the time to access the Database. Even Word uses it. This is why you need to Quit Notifications and/or the Microsoft Database daemon when you install MS updates. It could also interfere with backup applications.

Note in Office 2004, the daemon is also used to run the option in the the Database Utility to "Verify Automatically in Background".

If the daemon is turned off, "Verify Automatically in Background" will not take place?

yellow
Jun 7, 2005, 08:03 PM
my startup has gone slow

Which start up? Login in, or actual start up? At what point is it slow? Spinning wagon wheel? Loading OS X? If it's the actual start up, try booting in verbose mode (hold down Cmd-V at boot time) and seeing if there are any errors, or it hangs at a particular point..