Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralphiedee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
I got a late 2006 IMac from someone who needs files from the drive, the machine originally had a blinking power light so I know that this was a memory problem. I re seated the memory and the computer boots, got the white screen but never past the spinning circle. I rebooted and re set the pRam and heard the 3 chimes, then rebooted but the same problem. I have disk warrior and inserted the disk and tried to reboot holding down the C key and I get the same spinning circle then the machine powers off to a black screen.

Then I took a firewire cable from my Mac Pro booted up the Imac using the TKey, I see the fw logo but the drive does not some up on the Mac pro desktop, just to be sure its not the cable I tried it with another cable and the same result.

any help

ralphiedee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
hmm, never thought to look at disk utility or the terminal. I thought using the firewire cable the bad Imac drive would be displayed on the good mac.

I'll do that now and report back.

RD

ralphiedee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
yes you were right, the disk does show inside disk utility. I can copy the files but it says the disk cannot be repaired with Disk Utlities, I will used Disk Warrior to see if that can repair the disk.

thanks

RD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.