Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacbrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
I would really lily to try a Mac, either a Pro, Air, or Imac. Not sure which would be best. But, I would lime to try used to save a little money. oOr, Should I avoid used altogether?

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Best bet is to buy a refurbished machine from Apple. You save money, have the peace of mind that your Mac has been checked, and you get a warranty.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

The link is the UK site, but the same applies in the states too.

If you are in the US: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

A close friend bought a used iMac from Apple a couple of months ago. He said the machine was like new when he got it. If he had not purchased a used one, he would have assumed it was new. Just 1 personal experience. It was his first Mac also.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple refub looks like new, has same warranty as new.

Only difference is different box.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
For safety's sake, definitely an Apple refurb. eBay, Craiglist, etc. all tend to be a crap-shoot, even with high feedback sellers. But then again, there's plenty good to be had on eBay - I've purchased several used computers on eBay over the years (both Apple and other PC brands) and only had one real issue; and that issue was handled to my liking by the seller. I've also sold ALL of Macs from the past on eBay, including G3/G4 towers, a G4 iMac, a 17" white iMac, a Core Duo Mac Mini, a PowerBook, a Macbook, and two Macbook Pros. Point is there are good, honest sellers (ME!!! :D) and plenty that aren't.

My advice: If an Apple refurb is out of your price range and you need a new(er) Mac, eBay is definitely worth a look-see. Just do your research and practice safe buying. ;)

Aaron from KY

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Kentucky
macofalltrades.com, I've bought from them and they're very professional, located in Florida, and their inventory changes daily.
I don't work for them, I live in Kentucky

Last edited:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I would really lily to try a Mac, either a Pro, Air, or Imac. Not sure which would be best. But, I would lime to try used to save a little money. oOr, Should I avoid used altogether?

Amazon Warehouse - Basically Brand New

If you call Apple they will move the purchase date to your order. You get full 1 year warranty. Can return to Amazon within 30 days of purchase for complete refund.

No tax in most states.

I personally purchased a Early 15inch High End MBP - Retailed 2199 - Amazon Warehouse was selling them for 1320 - now 1606. Prices change often.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
macofalltrades.com, I've bought from them and they're very professional, located in Florida, and their inventory changes daily.
I don't work for them, I live in Kentucky

Thank you. I am considering buying from them. I would appreciate any input, good or bad, from anyone else on this company.

cw75

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
Texas
Used Mac Sellers

Over the past several years I've had great luck with both Mac of All Trades (in Florida) and PowerMax (in Oregon). I've found them to be really conscientious about what they sell (both before and after the sale) and no, I don't work for them either. I'm in Texas.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
What about Gainsaver.com? Their prices seem abnormally low. Here is an example. It's about $200 less than the same item from Barnes and Noble. It's refurbished from both retailers. Is a refurbished computer any good?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.