Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
The shocking news doesn't stop me at all. Really it doesn't. I love Macs and always will it's the operating system. I just want your people's opinion if I should go and purchase one. I'm waiting because you never know of the possible price drops but want a mac this year. Thanks

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
BUY NOW. BUY NOW. BUY NOW
Why wait . . . to save $100? I'd much rather have what I want NOW and not waste time waiting for who knows what!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
jc0481 said:
The shocking news doesn't stop me at all. Really it doesn't. I love Macs and always will it's the operating system. I just want your people's opinion if I should go and purchase one. I'm waiting because you never know of the possible price drops but want a mac this year. Thanks

buy an imac now. they were just updated and I really doubt you will see any price drops on anything. they are a very robust machine and run equal to or just a bit faster than single G5 towers. an imac G5 WILL last you a good 3-4 years and be able to run current stuff. I have played with a 1.8 17" and the main thing I noticed was that the finder was so so very fast. things literally flew around. trust me.. mac people will never forget their roots and all the millions on ppc macs. even jobs said.. "we are going to support the ppc well into the future" so no new ppc hardware after say early 2006 but continued support for os and apps. I feel no worry over my recent mac mini purchase.

all those dual G5 owners that have spent a small fortune on their macs are not going to suffer and neither is anyone else. apple is ethical and would never do that to us.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Discounts won't be taking place until next spring at the earliest, well maybe before Christmas. Apple isn't going to make any steep price cuts at this point and upgrades are pretty iffy at this point too. Buy it now, enjoy it now especially if it's what you want and need.

If you want a deal, I recommend the special deals section at the Apple online Store. There was an iMac for 899, not a bad deal really.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
no matter what u do, even if u don't buy ram from apple, do not run that imac with 256 mb's of ram, or u will have one slow mac (as i have heard) All the g5's from the apple store come with 512 standard, so u will be fine...

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
I really appreciate zenstate and all your other people's help

Thank you everybody. I was hesitant to buy an Imac G5 but you changed my mind. I know Apple will support ppc for a long time to come they are not like Microsoft which is very very good. I also to plan to put 1 gig of ram in the imac. Thanks again

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I'm waitin... sort of

Right now I'm a sophomore in college so that means money is tight... therefore I have to save up my money to buy a 20" iMac. Therefore i'm going to wait until MWSF 06 to buy my iMac... just incase a (hoping very hard) 23" comes out... but i HIGHLY doubt it. I just want to see what is to come right after the new year. If i had the 2Gs at my disposal (for the comp and 2 gigs of ram) I would place my order NOW. But like I said... I have to save up, so I'm going to wait...

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Land of Cleve
Buy it, use it, love it. :)

If your a college student Apple is running a promo for an extra $100 off via rebate. I believe it ends sometime at the end of June.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.