PDA

View Full Version : USB adaptor for iPad?

Leighp
Jan 18, 2012, 09:11 AM
Is there a USB adaptor available for iPad that will allow using a jump drive or transfer of external info from an external hard drive?

Mr Kram
Jan 18, 2012, 09:14 AM
doesn't the camera connection kit do that?

APlotdevice
Jan 18, 2012, 11:19 AM
doesn't the camera connection kit do that?

Kinda. It will let you import photos and certain video formats off of a jump drive, provided that it is formatted to FAT16/32 and the media is located in a folder called "DCIM" (which must be in the root directory). A hard drive will not work as far as I'm aware.

poloponies
Jan 18, 2012, 12:09 PM
Kinda. It will let you import photos and certain video formats off of a jump drive, provided that it is formatted to FAT16/32 and the media is located in a folder called "DCIM" (which must be in the root directory). A hard drive will not work as far as I'm aware.

There's just one wired drive that will work, so far:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm

jsh1120
Jan 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
Is there a USB adaptor available for iPad that will allow using a jump drive or transfer of external info from an external hard drive?

The short answer is no. As already noted, the CCK enables downloading of photos (and videos, I suspect) to the iPad's photo/video management apps. However, the stock (i.e. not jailbroken) iPad does not support a common file system accessible from multiple applications.

The most viable workaround for this problem is to place files in Dropbox, iCloud, or some other "cloud based" storage and import from those sites.