Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Got an e-mail from CaseMate yesterday advertising this new case. Looks like a good alternative to Otterbox Defender for summertime beach protection but wanted to hear thoughts from any real users out there. It has 8 reviews on CaseMate's website, all 4-star, but of course they may be filtering reviews as they're trying to sell it!:cool:

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Got an e-mail from CaseMate yesterday advertising this new case. Looks like a good alternative to Otterbox Defender for summertime beach protection but wanted to hear thoughts from any real users out there. It has 8 reviews on CaseMate's website, all 4-star, but of course they may be filtering reviews as they're trying to sell it!:cool:

It literally went live on their site a couple of days ago over the weekend. They did the fake reviews with a bunch of their cases (the Jett specifically) so this looks to be the case.

The case itself looks good but I'm not buying it to try it. Too many cases.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for clarifying these are "Phantom" reviews :roll eyes: That's what I suspected so I'll wait and see what others think as I don't feel like being the guinea pig. The fake review thing kind of turns me off CaseMate although I've had a case I liked from this company. Like you, I have too many cases already! Unclear exactly what material this case is made of?

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I have that case. I was at the CES last week and stopped by the Case-Mate booth. They were giving that case away IF you traded in the case you were currently using.

I talked the gal into letting me trade in a case that was on my old Vibrant for one. This Phantom case is a tank. Too bulky for me but definitely a protector.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
So could you expound a little bit on the case you received? What type of material is it made out of? How does it compare in terms of bulk/construction/appearance/quality to some of these other heavy-duty cases like Otterbox Defender, Griffin Survivor, etc.? It looked like in the pictures it was maybe a bit more sleek?

scutts

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
so i was at the CES as well and received this case. I've used Otterbox Defender, Commuter and Griffin Survivor before so I can give you a brief comparison. Construction of Phantom is different from any typical tank case. It is made of two pieces, one hard plastic piece that goes from the front of iPhone (think plastic snap on cases but reversed), another made of dual injection TPU (I think) that wraps around the rest of the phone. The case does not use silicone so there's no slop over time like Defender/Survivor, also does not attract lint. Bulk is about the size of Commuter but fit is much better. Styling is not much of my taste but I like the way it fits. Hope this helps a little.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
so i was at the CES as well and received this case. I've used Otterbox Defender, Commuter and Griffin Survivor before so I can give you a brief comparison. Construction of Phantom is different from any typical tank case. It is made of two pieces, one hard plastic piece that goes from the front of iPhone (think plastic snap on cases but reversed), another made of dual injection TPU (I think) that wraps around the rest of the phone. The case does not use silicone so there's no slop over time like Defender/Survivor, also does not attract lint. Bulk is about the size of Commuter but fit is much better. Styling is not much of my taste but I like the way it fits. Hope this helps a little.

Good info. I may give this case a shot.

KathleneHestir

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Case-Mate Phantom

Case-Mate does not fabricate product reviews. All consumer reviews are approved - unless they are deemed abusive/obscene; violate a law/regulation; infringe on someone's intellectual property rights; are not related to that specific Case-Mate product; or are false or misleading. Our team works hard to investigate negative reviews and correct any major issues our customers might have.

The rugged Phantom case is two pieces. A front snap on screen protector guards the screen. It consists of protective pads on the top and bottom and a clear shield over the screen. (NOTE: The samples we gave away at CES did not have the clear shield over the screen; however, all Phantom cases sold online and in retail stores do include this piece.) The back shell consists of three layers, a soft outer shell made of TPE, a hard inner layer made of PC, and a final soft inner layer of TPE.

Check out our roundup of Phantom reviews.

Kathlene Hestir
Social Media Manager, Case-Mate
kathlene.hestir@case-mate.com

Thanks for clarifying these are "Phantom" reviews :roll eyes: That's what I suspected so I'll wait and see what others think as I don't feel like being the guinea pig. The fake review thing kind of turns me off CaseMate although I've had a case I liked from this company. Like you, I have too many cases already! Unclear exactly what material this case is made of?

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
If you like throwing your phone across the room, this is the case to get.

If you like throwing your phone through the window from the 30th floor and still retrieve your data, this is the case to get.

:D

Balibalistic

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
LOVE Casemate, but........ Why do great companies Ike Casemate not focus on holsters for these types of cases? Bet it would sell ten fold with a nice seidio type case. I would certainly buy it!

KStinque

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
because case mate is doing the good work of rid the work of dorks. just kidding!!! holsters have their place: on construction sites and....?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.