PDA

View Full Version : A Comparison of US iPhone Data Plans

MacRumors
Jan 18, 2012, 04:41 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/18/a-comparison-of-us-iphone-data-plans/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/01/iphone4s.jpg

With the introduction of new iPhone data plans (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/18/att-introduces-new-smartphone-data-plans/) from AT&T, here's a look at the data plans from the three providers that natively sell the iPhone in the United States.
AT&T (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/18/att-introduces-new-smartphone-data-plans/):

- $20/month for 300MB data with a $20 charge for each additional 300MB
- $30/month for 3GB data with a $10 charge for each additional 1GB
- $50/month for 5GB data with mobile hotspot/tethering and a $10 charge for each additional 1GB

Verizon (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plans/?page=single):

- $30/month for 2GB data
- $50/month for 5GB data
- $50/month for 4GB data with mobile hotspot/tethering
- $70/month for 7GB data with mobile hotspot/tethering
- $80/month for 10GB data
- $100/month for 12GB data with mobile hotspot/tethering

Overages on all Verizon plans are $10/GB

Sprint (http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan/plan_wall.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Plans):

- $30/month for unlimited dataSprint offers the best deal on data, though users of the Sprint version of the iPhone 4S have reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/15/sprint-iphone-users-complaining-of-slow-3g-data-speeds/) slower data speeds than the other networks.

Between AT&T and Verizon, AT&T's $30 plan offers 50% more data than Verizon, and also offers a $20 option for light-data users.

At the $50 price point, AT&T offers 5GB of data plus tethering, whereas Verizon charges $10 more for the same package.

Article Link: A Comparison of US iPhone Data Plans (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/18/a-comparison-of-us-iphone-data-plans/)

thisisluiss
Jan 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
so glad i got unlimited data with AT&T. sucks att is rising their prices one more time this will make them lose some customers just like netflix lost thousands of customers

baummer
Jan 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
Looks like you have a mistake. Sprint doesn't offer unlimited data for $30/month. The cheapest option for that is on one of their "Everything Data" plans, which start at $69.99.

EDIT: I see now where you're getting this. That price point is derived from their basic plan options that don't include data. Problem is, you can't get an iPhone on any of those plans. iPhones will only be activated to an Everything Data plan ($69.99-89.99/mo. depending on minutes) or Simply Everything ($99.99/mo.).

wordoflife
Jan 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
Carriers should be working for their customers.
1GB = $20 would be acceptable.

In all seriousness though, this is just getting more and more expensive. This is ridiculous.

dhechols
Jan 18, 2012, 04:52 PM
Every single one of the big 3 carrier's plans are giant greedy things that demand your money and beat it out of your with a bloody club.

Here's what you really want, in my opinion if you're in the USA.

1) By an unlocked iPhone from Apple.
2) Transfer your number to TMobile by signing up for the no contract plan $30 1500 Talk Text, 30MB data
3) Get the SIM card in the mail, cut down to micro SIM size.
4) Plug it in, enjoy freedom at a somewhat reasonable price.

All this said, $30/month is still pretty pricey. Especially considering that you can get fiber internet connections in quite a few places in the world for $10-$20 a month for 10Mbit up/down - 100Mbit up/down depending where you are. And of course, you are trading off data for using it over WiFi most of the time. 30 MB is enough for you to survive though if you're caught out in the boonies without google maps though.

eNcrypTioN
Jan 18, 2012, 04:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Glad I was able to lock-in unlimited data with Sprint. The speeds could be a little better but I can't complain when I only pay $90 a month with taxes for my iPhone.

I'm sure Sprint won't offer unlimited data forever so people should get it before its to late.

Bchagey
Jan 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
my account reads

"Data Used Processing ...
WARNING - DATA ALLOWANCE EXCEEDED
335,300.2KB of Unlimited"

ive always had unlimited data..never over charged or anything. Does this new data plan begin today?

McJaffaCakes
Jan 18, 2012, 05:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The US carriers are rediculous. In the UK we have the option of buying the pone unlocked and sticking in a SIM from another provider.

For example using giffgaff as a cheap example for £10 per month you not only get unlimited data but unlimited texts and something like 250 minutes.

Over a 24 month period you'll save money paying full price for the phone and using giffgaff compared to the subsidised cost of a contract. If you can get a 0% credit card deal you can use that to spread the cost.

If you'd still prefer a contract they're still a lot cheaper in the UK than their US counterparts.

Living in what's called 'Rip-off Britain' it's good to see the rare times we do get a better deal.

maattp
Jan 18, 2012, 05:09 PM

Glad I was able to lock-in unlimited data with Sprint. The speeds could be a little better but I can't complain when I only pay $90 a month with taxes for my iPhone.

I'm sure Sprint won't offer unlimited data forever so people should get it before its to late.

ONLY $90 a month? That's a complete rip off, I thought Canada was bad.

xSPRINTERx
Jan 18, 2012, 05:09 PM

My god, that is so expensive. You need more carriers and more competion over there.

I know it doesn't help but we get some cracking deals in the uk.

I'm with three £35 (is that about $50) I get 5000 any network call time 5000 SMS and unlimited data with tethering
(iPhone 4s on 2 year contract).

BigDukeSix
Jan 18, 2012, 05:19 PM
I got locked in with VZ Unlimited 1 day before they shut that option down. So very happy I managed to be able to make that happen.

Spectrum Abuser
Jan 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
The UK also has a landmass much smaller then the continental United States. But I agree, these prices are way too much even for that.

iVoid
Jan 18, 2012, 05:23 PM
Kind of hope Verizon bumps their 2GB plan up to 3GB for $30 now.

jffmrk
Jan 18, 2012, 05:24 PM
At the end of November both my wife and I switched to Verizon's "limited time" 300MB data plan for $20/month. We are on Wi-Fi most of the time and our usage rarely goes beyond 150MB/month.

So 2 iPhones on a family plan leaves us a $117.11/month bill.

Too bad Verizon didn't keep the 300MB plan for everyone.

penajmz
Jan 18, 2012, 05:45 PM
So happy to have been grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan. Never letting that go.

definitive
Jan 18, 2012, 05:54 PM

In all seriousness though, this is just getting more and more expensive. This is ridiculous.

How is anything besides unlimited acceptable? This is 2012, not 1995 where Dial-Up used to cost ~$5/hour. Even regular broadband internet doesn't cost this much. If the cellular carriers weren't so greedy, they'd charge unlimited fees per speed, not amount of usage.

stevemiller
Jan 18, 2012, 06:17 PM

Suddenly I feel really good about 6gb/$30 in Canada!

The ridiculous thing in all this is my gut tells there likely aren't that many true data abusers. Since I upped my data allowance I've been listening to web radio fairly regularly, and I still don't come anywhere near my limit. By making these plans more attractive you'd think the telcoms would benefit, as people would be more willing to pay for the extra headroom, but on average not use it.

If anything by charging greedily, you'd think it'd just motivate people to push their limit just to get their "money's worth"

wikus
Jan 18, 2012, 06:36 PM
Its incredible how over the years its cost the carriers LESS to supply the transfer of data, yet they demand for consumers to pay more.

I wonder how many people think data is a scarce resource....??

nagromme
Jan 18, 2012, 06:36 PM

Agreed. 500-1GB is enough for most users, I would guess. 2-2GB would cover nearly everyone. 300MB would consistently cover relatively few.

That last thing AT&T would want is to offer a 1 or 2GB plan with mass appeal! Better to make all those people decide between expensive 3GB overkill, or penalties and overages on the “cheap” plan. Either way, AT&T/Verizon wins and your wallet loses!

Gemütlichkeit
Jan 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
Are they working to get more money out of you now that iMessage is in?

george-brooks
Jan 18, 2012, 07:02 PM
Glald I have unlimited data now more than ever!

bwillwall
Jan 18, 2012, 07:09 PM

Yay my carrier (Verizon) oficially offers the worst deal for data. I hope they follow soon

avanpelt
Jan 18, 2012, 07:25 PM

Yay my carrier (Verizon) oficially offers the worst deal for data. I hope they follow soon

I fully expect VZW will follow AT&T's lead within the next 30-45 days. Cell carriers pretty much just play "follow the leader" these days as they each take turns raping the U.S. consumer and watching the money roll in.

With that said, I can't really blame the carriers for wanting to make money. They are "for profit" entities after all. And, as much as I hate paying $160 a month to VZW for service on two iPhones, I pay it faithfully every month; so they must be charging what the market will bear at least in the U.S.

blue22
Jan 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
I dunno, I did a plan price comparison of AT&T/Sprint/Verizon (http://www.blue22.net/best_deal_iphone4s_t-mobile/) back when the iPhone4S launched and they more or less cost the same with minor varying details. AT&T's new pricing structure doesn't really change that still.

I have Sprint, and although they do offer much more value due to their unlimited package, their network is indeed slower than the big two, so, for now, it's a trade-off in services with using them depending on what's more important to you: unlimited data access vs. need for speed.

http://www.blue22.net/gallery/pics/apple/iphone4s_big4_small.jpg

Now, if you're willing to work with what T-Mobile offers then you can really save some money... but of course their network speed with the iPhone (any of them) is 10x worse than Sprint, running only on 2G/EDGE. *ugh* Still, worth looking into if you're on the fence (and also prefer to be on a non-contract plan).

DTphonehome
Jan 18, 2012, 07:58 PM

That's exactly why they won't do it. 1GB would be enough for most customers. 300MB is too little for most. So the next best thing is the 3GB plan. Even if you never use near that amount. If they offer a 1GB plan, very few will sign up for the 3GB.

rcappo
Jan 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
I could have summed it up as:
Sucks
Sucks
Sucks

People should be given phone numbers for life at birth like Social Security numbers. Then it wouldn't matter if you wanted to switch carriers, go a few months without service, get a prepaid sim card with minutes that don't expire, and there would be a few great tethering apps.

Wouldn't capitalism be great if it worked the way it was supposed to?

roland.g
Jan 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
So happy to have been grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan. Never letting that go.

I second, third, fourth, or five thousandth that.

TimTheEnchanter
Jan 18, 2012, 08:53 PM

True that!

Except... been thinking that I need tethering more and more lately. I missed the tether app that was briefly on the App Store and I don't want to jailbreak my phone. Not a heavy data user, but with tethering I could see that increasing a lot.

MattInOz
Jan 18, 2012, 09:12 PM

In Australia you can get 1GB for ~$10.
We have much lower population density than the USA and any of the that data that comes from overseas travels in long undersea cables. So the cost of providing Data here could well be double the cost in USA.

I'm surprised you be happy to double what we pay.

edit: oh just to rub it in Tethering is included in most of our data plans.

Mandomex
Jan 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
I'm grandfathered into Verizon unlimited data from that old Droid phone I had. My only complaint is that it's still about $100.00 w voice and text. I'd consider a lesser carrier for cheaper.
So as soon Metropcs gets the Iphone I'm there.:D

cvaldes
Jan 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
So as soon Metropcs gets the Iphone I'm there.:D
Do you realize that MetroPCS has no spectrum allocation for cellular 3G services? Not even crummy EV-DO?

quietstormSD
Jan 18, 2012, 10:41 PM
The new data plans do suck. Especially now with data throttling by at&t for unlimited customers. People with a little over 2GBs of data usage are getting throttled. I wonder if they are forcing those people's hands by getting an extra gig of fast data for the same price of $30 that they are already paying.

I used to have the 3G, and never really went over 200 GB a month, the highest was not over 1GB in the 3 years I had the phone. But since getting the 4S I'm going over 1.5 GB every month. With phones and mobile devices getting better and better, data use will only grow more and more.

msteffer
Jan 19, 2012, 12:07 AM

What I really need is a family data plan, not more data. With family talk and text plans, why can't I have a family data plan? A common pool that all the phones on my account can draw from. If it was reasonable and meant saving money, I might even consider dropping one of my unlimited plans. But as many have mentioned regarding 1GB plans, it would mean less profit for the carriers, so it'll probably never happen.

wanderlust wasted
Jan 19, 2012, 12:10 AM

Ya'll be using the internet

springerj
Jan 19, 2012, 01:47 AM
How is anything besides unlimited acceptable? This is 2012, not 1995 where Dial-Up used to cost ~$5/hour. Even regular broadband internet doesn't cost this much. If the cellular carriers weren't so greedy, they'd charge unlimited fees per speed, not amount of usage.

That would be true if the incremental cost of more data was zero, which is close to true on wireline systems. But on wireless, adding capacity is costly, so it makes sense to me that they charge by usage.

That said, the fees are absurd. We are being totally ripped off by an unregulated semi-monopoly that is just going to squeeze us until we quit letting them. Just like any amoral greedy capitalist would. Between ATT and the TV companies, I'm done being squoze. Not another nickel.

booksacool1
Jan 19, 2012, 04:15 AM
In Australia you can get 1GB for ~$10.
We have much lower population density than the USA and any of the that data that comes from overseas travels in long undersea cables. So the cost of providing Data here could well be double the cost in USA.

I'm surprised you be happy to double what we pay.

edit: oh just to rub it in Tethering is included in most of our data plans.

Indeed I'm thinking the same thing. The other strange thing I notice is the long contract requirements.

Jenja
Jan 19, 2012, 05:40 AM
In Sweden I got a iPhone 4s, it cost about 60 dollars/month but I got 2GB/month (tether included) and I can call for the whole 60 dollars, plus I call for free to 2 different operators, text for free to the same to operators and call for free to home phones! I can also expand to 7GB /month and it would still cost 60 bucks but I would only be able to call for 40 dollars before I have to pay more then 60 dollars/month

SimonTheSoundMa
Jan 19, 2012, 06:23 AM
For example using giffgaff as a cheap example for £10 per month you not only get unlimited data but unlimited texts and something like 250 minutes.

Over a 24 month period you'll save money paying full price for the phone and using giffgaff compared to the subsidised cost of a contract. If you can get a 0% credit card deal you can use that to spread the cost.

giffgaff user here and very happy. No FUP either, only rule is do not tether. I also love the fact that giffgaff have guides on how to jailbreak your iPhone on their web site.

cleetusvandamm
Jan 19, 2012, 06:25 AM
im paying 10 a month per line (20 total) for unlimited data on Sprint..not sure where they got 30 month

nick_elt
Jan 19, 2012, 07:35 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

When i bought my first iphone from o2 uk on pay as you go i got unlimited FREE browsing. No contract. And if u buy online from some companies you can choose free gifts. In just over a couple of years we got 2free ps3's, an ipod touch and one contract we got £120 cheque every 3 months on a contract that was £40/month so = free contract :) I miss the UK for stuff like that!

marcusj0015
Jan 19, 2012, 08:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

These prices are RIDICLOUS.

When is Comcast gonna come out with cellphone service?

mjames007
Jan 19, 2012, 08:06 AM
Not to forget that plans in the USA also get hit with the following charges, of $20:00 and up per month:mad::
Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
Federal Universal Service Charge
State Gross Receipts Surcharge
911 Service Fee
State Telecom Tax

piatigorsky
Jan 19, 2012, 08:57 AM
Here in Taiwan, we're always complaining about how high our rates are. NT$1749 (approx. US$58) per month only gets you 311 minutes, 200 SMSs, 400 MMSs, unlimited data, free WiFi at tens of thousands of places, and free localized turn-by-turn navigation software, plus a free 16G 4s.

Yvan256
Jan 19, 2012, 09:01 AM
Here in Taiwan, we're always complaining about how high our rates are. NT$1749 (approx. US$58) per month only gets you 311 minutes, 200 SMSs, 400 MMSs, unlimited data, free WiFi at tens of thousands of places, and free localized turn-by-turn navigation software, plus a free 16G 4s.

:eek:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxv8n1RZq91r4hk20o2_500.jpg

PBG4 Dude
Jan 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
AT&T just looking for someone else to pay that $4B T-Mobile breakup fee. :\

milo
Jan 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
If anything by charging greedily, you'd think it'd just motivate people to push their limit just to get their "money's worth"

Exactly. If I had to be on one of these ripoff plans if it got to the end of the month and I was way under the 3 gigs or whatever I'd probably put on Netflix or something similar just to use that last bit of data.

TonyC28
Jan 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
Two things I'd like to see happen: Shared data for family plans. And rollover data like rollover minutes.
You want me to pay for data that I end up not using all of, let me roll it over to next month.

Consultant
Jan 19, 2012, 11:49 AM
Every single one of the big 3 carrier's plans are giant greedy things that demand your money and beat it out of your with a bloody club.

Dear T-Mobile promoter:

- Buying unlocked means paying $450 more (plus tax). That equals to 2 years of about $20 per month extra. Or about $26 per month higher cost if you update your phone every 18 months.
- T-Mobile US only offers EDGE speed for standard GSM devices
- T-Mobile has much weaker coverage than AT&T / Verizon
- 30MB of data

So you are paying $50 per month for voice with 30MB of data at EDGE speed. What a joke.

PracticalMac
Jan 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
$15 = 200MB

or

$20 = 300MB

Why the hell they don't do $15 = 300!!!!

$5 more is still $5 more, or $60/year.

I find if I turn off 3G data, I can keep usage reasonable (<200MB), need to see long run.

----------

Dear T-Mobile promoter:

- Buying unlocked means paying $450 more (plus tax). That equals to 2 years of about $20 per month extra. Or about $26 per month higher cost if you update your phone every 18 months.
- 30MB of data

So you are paying $50 per month for voice with 30MB of data at EDGE speed. What a joke.

Yes, that is why I dropped T-Mo. not worth it.

drummingcraig
Jan 19, 2012, 12:00 PM

There will come a time in the not too distant future where you will have to leave the unlimited plan if you wish to upgrade to a new handset; mark my words. I predict that when the first truly 4G iphone hits AT&T's shelves they will label the 4G network as a different plan/tier and use that to muscle longtime unlimited plan customers out. So effectively you will not have a choice if you want the new hardware.

jlgolson
Jan 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
Two things I'd like to see happen: Shared data for family plans. And rollover data like rollover minutes.
You want me to pay for data that I end up not using all of, let me roll it over to next month.Shared data for family plans is in the works -- http://allthingsd.com/20120109/atts-de-la-vega-shared-data-plans-still-in-the-works/

Surreal
Jan 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
Actually, what we need is a carrier who doesn't subsidize phones. We need a carrier only interested in profiting from plans and making plans appealing without the need to recoup subsidies.

bad03xtreme
Jan 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
I still can't decide who to go with when I get an iPhone. Everyone I know has Verizon so I don't use any minutes but I want the most data for my money. :mad:

JTToft
Jan 20, 2012, 03:45 AM
This is absolutely ridiculous. I pay $44 a month for 10 GB of data (practically unlimited), 18 hours of talk-time and unlimited SMS and MMS. And it isn't even possible to sign a contract without free tethering in Denmark.

ncbill
Jan 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
For heavy data users, T-Mobile now offers a $30/month prepaid plan w/ 5GB/month 4G data (then throttled to 2G).

Unlimited texts, but only 100 voice minutes.

It's what I picked (plus an inexpensive Android phone with built-in hotspot)

And I use GrooveIP (VOIP that uses your Google Voice account) for voice calling - w/ 5GB of data it's essentially unlimited minutes.

Dear T-Mobile promoter:

- 30MB of data

crees!
Jan 21, 2012, 11:27 AM
I'm sure others have mentioned this and it needs to be strongly conveyed by us all to the carriers too. And that is, we pay for a data plan and there are automatic additional fees if we exceed our paid limit. How we consume that data should not be discriminated against. With the base data plan, I should be able to turn on mobile hotspot on my phone and use an iPad or any other device any time I want. If I exceed my plan limit, however the data is used, the additional fees auto kick in and that is expected and accepted. This tells me the real reason telcos are charging extra to use an already built in feature of the phone is just to nickel and dime their customers.

TNTNeil
Jan 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
I still can't decide who to go with when I get an iPhone. Everyone I know has Verizon so I don't use any minutes but I want the most data for my money. :mad:

With Sprint you still don't use minutes when talking with your friends and family on Verrizon since with Sprint you have unlimited calling to ALL mobile numbers no matter the carrier. Your data is unlimited, but from what I gather slower. Still worth it for me to have the unlimited mobile and unlimited data. Plus coverage here (in the Rockie Mountains) is same as Verizon as they share towers.

Tiger8
Jan 22, 2012, 06:17 PM
Looks like you have a mistake. Sprint doesn't offer unlimited data for $30/month. The cheapest option for that is on one of their "Everything Data" plans, which start at $69.99.

EDIT: I see now where you're getting this. That price point is derived from their basic plan options that don't include data. Problem is, you can't get an iPhone on any of those plans. iPhones will only be activated to an Everything Data plan ($69.99-89.99/mo. depending on minutes) or Simply Everything ($99.99/mo.).

You can't get an iPhone on either Verizon OR AT&T unless you sign up for the data plan, it is not optional. so how is this different from sprint?

----------

If you have good coverage, Sprint. All of Sprint's plans include unlimited mobile to mobile, I barely go through 100 minutes of the 450 included minutes since majority of my calls are to cell phones, and those are free

Billy Boo Bob
Jan 23, 2012, 07:36 AM
People should be given phone numbers for life at birth like Social Security numbers. Then it wouldn't matter if you wanted to switch carriers, go a few months without service, get a prepaid sim card with minutes that don't expire, and there would be a few great tethering apps.

Wouldn't capitalism be great if it worked the way it was supposed to?

There's no way I would want one single phone number "assigned" to me that way. I like the option to change my phone number if need be. And in the past it has needed to be.