Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cahira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I have a 12 year old Honda that has no Auxillary plug, as most older cars don't :( When my car was much newer, I had a new stereo deck professionally installed and my iPod hooked up directly to the stereo. So, I can switch between AM/FM, CD, iPod and Satellite radio using my deck.

I really, really want some sort of Bluetooth device that will allow me to answer calls and hear callers through my car stereo. Since I don't have an Aux unit to plugin, I think my only option is one of those that you tune to an FM station. Long story short, I just got a BT device that does just this and it works great - except I need to have my car stereo radio set to that station in order to receive calls. I guess this device works great for a lot of people because they are using their iPhone as a universal device. They load all their songs into it, and there's a Satellite radio app that allows you to stream. They just pair the phone to the device, leave the radio station on, and stream their music through the phone to the car stereo. Calls come in, since they are on the radio station.

Since I listen to Satellite, and iPod through the deck, this won't work for me. I don't want to use my phone as my ipod. I don't really want to pay to have another professional job done, on a 12 year old car, and it's not quite time for me to get a new car either.

Is there a device out there that will work for me? Is it hopeless? I'd just really like to be able to listen to my car stereo, and be able to answer an incoming call. Thanks in advance for any ideas/help.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I have a 12 year old Honda that has no Auxillary plug, as most older cars don't :( When my car was much newer, I had a new stereo deck professionally installed and my iPod hooked up directly to the stereo. So, I can switch between AM/FM, CD, iPod and Satellite radio using my deck.

I really, really want some sort of Bluetooth device that will allow me to answer calls and hear callers through my car stereo. Since I don't have an Aux unit to plugin, I think my only option is one of those that you tune to an FM station. Long story short, I just got a BT device that does just this and it works great - except I need to have my car stereo radio set to that station in order to receive calls. I guess this device works great for a lot of people because they are using their iPhone as a universal device. They load all their songs into it, and there's a Satellite radio app that allows you to stream. They just pair the phone to the device, leave the radio station on, and stream their music through the phone to the car stereo. Calls come in, since they are on the radio station.

Since I listen to Satellite, and iPod through the deck, this won't work for me. I don't want to use my phone as my ipod. I don't really want to pay to have another professional job done, on a 12 year old car, and it's not quite time for me to get a new car either.

Is there a device out there that will work for me? Is it hopeless? I'd just really like to be able to listen to my car stereo, and be able to answer an incoming call. Thanks in advance for any ideas/help.

Griffen BlueTrip is what I use and is exactly what you're looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...LS7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327004535&sr=8-1

Edit: nevermind. I reread and saw that you DON'T have an aux input. You're SOL then.

cahira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Thanks so much - it looks awesome. Wish I could try it - Except that I don't have an Aux plug, as I stated in my post :(

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
You're only options are to get a new stereo with an aux plug or just use your iPhone as your iPod like millions of others do.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
really? no one?
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.

This isn't your personal support site. If you need an immediate response then a discussion forum site is the wrong place to ask. For this topic you should refer to resources that specifically address car audio. Use the right tool for the job.

Don't overlook aftermarket iPod/iPhone interfaces and Aux interfaces for factory car stereos or upgrading your car's head unit. If it's 12 years old then its audio quality probably isn't that great to begin with. You're only going to make it much worse with an FM modulator.

cahira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I just got this, it paired instantly with my iPhone 4s, I can answer calls with it, and play songs through my car stereo. Also has a USB so I can charge my iPhone.

http://www.amazon.com/FlexSMART-Tra...GOC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327022558&sr=8-1

I got a flexsmart too! It worked great...love that you can charge the phone too..but I just have to be tuned into that radio station setting in order for the calls to come through :( it's just not exactly what I need.

To the poster above you: Don't be rude. I wasn't. It's not MY personal support forum, but it is a support forum. I wasn't trying to *bump* anything, just was shocked that I had over 100 views and no responses. My car stereo works just fine.

aldoF

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
get a monster clarityHD speaker....works via bluetooth and sounds awesome, just rig some cables around the dash to your charger and voila!!!
I had the same problem in my car and tried many devices...but any type of transmitter was just a waste of time and money, get it, you will not regret it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.