Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tblin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2003
During his keynote Steve Jobs himself said 'you'll have to return them by end of 2006, we don't want these stuff to floating around... '.

I spell something interesting in the construction of these machines. 18 months down the road a P4-3.6G (presumably a Pentium 660 with EMT64 and HT) will not worth anything, and real Macintel will certainly be shipping with a whole different CPU,Motherboard and etc. It'll only cost Apple more money to recycles thousands of those things. There must be reason why it wants to do that but I haven't read any report evening asking this question let alone answering it.

so, will the collective wisdom figure out why?

-tb

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
tblin said:
During his keynote Steve Jobs himself said 'you'll have to return them by end of 2006, we don't want these stuff to floating around... '.

I spell something interesting in the construction of these machines. 18 months down the road a P4-3.6G (presumably a Pentium 660 with EMT64 and HT) will not worth anything, and real Macintel will certainly be shipping with a whole different CPU,Motherboard and etc. It'll only cost Apple more money to recycles thousands of those things. There must be reason why it wants to do that but I haven't read any report evening asking this question let alone answering it.

so, will the collective wisdom figure out why?

-tb

They don't want them floating around because they are somewhat hacked together computers (on the inside), and Apple doesn't want these being masqueraded on Ebay as real Macs, making Apple look bad.

Similarly, if they did not need to be returned, someone could sell one in two weeks right when they receive it, and then there is an Intel Mac floating around in public long before Apple intends there to be. People will then proceed to benchmark it and complain that Macs with Intels suck just because the dev machines are slow, even though Steve has made it clear that the consumer products will be nothing like it.

Can anyone else come up with even more obvious reasons? I'm sure there are some.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am sure that in the future, the developers will get SOME money or incentive to return the boxes.

I believe we have someone in the know on this subject, but I will not name him.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
admanimal said:
They don't want them floating around because they are somewhat hacked together computers (on the inside), and Apple doesn't want these being masqueraded on Ebay as real Macs, making Apple look bad.
Can anyone else come up with even more obvious reasons? I'm sure there are some.

Think you hit that one square on the head. Maybe there's some historic value to these machines as well, them being the first real p4 macs and all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.