Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I've had my 4s for a couple months now and in that time I've bought and replaced about a dozen screen protectors. The reason for this is that I've either misaligned or had some kind of debris on all the protectors before. Now I have an SGP Ultra Crystal and I must say I love it I got it aligned perfectly however, being OCD I noticed there is a little speck of something and I can feel the itch again. So my question is, Does anyone have a somewhat proof method for getting a screen protector on an iPhone without getting some kind of particle stuck before application? Mind you I do the tape on the finger thing already so is there something I can do that will avoid me having to bust out the tape?

misterjrw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Bracknell, UK
Run the bath/shower for 5-10 mins (build up lots of steam).

Install screen protector in bathroom while steam is still around (moisture in the air will dampen down dust and dirt particles)

Have a lovely OCD proof screen protected iPhone

Saying that, i'm the same as you with OCD and the tape method is fine for me - although don't wrap it round your finger, just slip it between the protector and iphone screen to remove dust.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
Rent a clean room from Intel.. that's probably the only guaranteed way :p

You can also try the hot bathroom trick, it usually works fine, though if it's a dusty bathroom to begin with you might be doing it for nothing. Just whip out the tape and clean the protector right up. :)

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
I've had my 4s for a couple months now and in that time I've bought and replaced about a dozen screen protectors. The reason for this is that I've either misaligned or had some kind of debris on all the protectors before. Now I have an SGP Ultra Crystal and I must say I love it I got it aligned perfectly however, being OCD I noticed there is a little speck of something and I can feel the itch again. So my question is, Does anyone have a somewhat proof method for getting a screen protector on an iPhone without getting some kind of particle stuck before application? Mind you I do the tape on the finger thing already so is there something I can do that will avoid me having to bust out the tape?
This was me with my 3GS!!..lol...Do the bathroom trick along with some masking tape. With some patience you'll have a perfect install!!

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
I find you gotta be super fast, take the old protector off, clean with the felt cloth usually supplied, look at the screen, you can see if its clean easily on the black iphone, white one is murder to see dust before install and trying to line up the install as the white is behind the glass and has an optical illusion.

Anyway, once you get the phone dust free, you must remove the protective side of the shield and install within seconds before the static cling of it attracts dust.

Its not OCD to hate seeing a white bubble under your screen protector. Its simple clarity.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Getting that speck of particle out is so easy.

You'll need 2 pieces of (small) tapes. Put one on the protector so you could lift the protector up. And use the remaining tape to take out the particle when you lift the protector. The particle may be on the glass itself or under the protector.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So my question is, Does anyone have a somewhat proof method for getting a screen protector on an iPhone without getting some kind of particle stuck before application?
Google the shower trick. Frequently mentioned in screen protector threads (I think in this one as well).

The Toddler

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Whatever you do, don't use a magnifying glass (as I did) to check your work! There will always be microscopic particles that get trapped in there, but it sounds like you've been able to eliminate the visible ones.

Do what the folks above have said -- work in a humid room. (I close the doors and windows and put the humidifer on high, since shower steam only lasts so long.)

Lift up the edge of the film with a piece of tape, and slide another piece underneath with the sticky side up so it grabs the remaining speck of dust. Take great care in doing this -- sometimes the tape itself can have a particle attached to it, which may become trapped when you go in to get the other piece of dust out. It sounds like you're 99% there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.