Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hammackj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
San Antonio, Tx
1. If i were to buy a powerbook today would it include tiger and all of the new ilife programs?

2. I want to get a either a 17 inch or 15 inch but i am not sure which, I want to use it as a replacement for my windows desktop, but i would also like to sit on the couch with it. Is a 17 inch really to big?

Thanks

hammackj

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
1. yes

2. i personally wouldnt feel comfortable with a 17 on my lap but i guess it all depends on how big your lap is. i would say go with the 15 and get an external LCD or something

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
1. - Yes, Tiger and all iLife apps

2. - I think that both are great products but they both serve unique purposes (in my mind). The 15" is simply the big-brother portable to the 12", still remaining portable and powerful and useful for most all apps including power/pro ones. The 17" becomes much more difficult to carry around and 'setup' in the quick e-café or the like. I agree with buryyourbrideau that I would not personally be comfortable with a 17" on my lap on the couch.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
hammackj said:
Thank you.

hmm have they fixed the issues with the trackpads on the 15 inches?

Unaware I am, I own a 12" since they are clearly superior :D :rolleyes:
I would imagine so if it was a major problem. If it was spot instances, they probably just sent replacements or asked for them to be sent in for repair. You can search the thread for the problem and check, but I would be willing to bet your fine and clear.

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
2. Draw out the screen size on a piece of paper and see how it looks, (this is how I decided that 12" is enough for the iBook - when it's released.)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I have a 14-inch iBook which I use on my couch all the time. The 17-inch powerbook is 2 inches wider and 1 pound heavier; the other dimensions are about the same. I personally would be fine with a computer that size for home use sitting on the couch, etc.

I wouldn't enjoy the extra size/weight for carrying around to cafes and travelling, which I do a lot, so if it were my computer I'd get the 15-incher. But if all I was doing was using it at home (and money was no object) I'd get the 17-incher.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
timmyb said:
2. Draw out the screen size on a piece of paper and see how it looks, (this is how I decided that 12" is enough for the iBook - when it's released.)

That is actually a really good idea, I have never heard/thought of that before but sketching the size of the screen on a piece of paper would give you a good feeling of how large the screen really is.

I LOVE my 12", most portable and useful piece of technology I have ever purchased. I was initially worried when I first purchased it since it was 'only' 12" and of all the features, I thought the screen-size might annoy me and be too small. The only issue I have with it now is that when I a travel and watch movies, they aren't so big :p but I knew that one. For daily use and work, 12" is more than ample for general use apps (PS gets hard obviously, as do some large-format apps that really utilize screen space).

BTW, if you see any of these PBs compared to a PC counterpart of the equivalent screen-size, its amazing how much nicer the PBs look. I cannot speak for the iBooks since I have not used one other than in an Apple store, where comparisons are sparse :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.