Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavinrsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Firstly, I am a complete novice at web design. At present I am using Wordpress and using Bluehost as my hosting site and I have created a FTP account on Bluehost. My problem is I cannot get video clips to show on my website, I am trying to use Flowplayer and don't know how to find the URL that links the videos uploaded to my FTP site on my website.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
It's a bit hard to answer this without any more information. If you uploaded it with the wordpress meda manager you should have the url there.

If you uploaded over ftp, do you have a domain name for your hosting? Your ftp access should by default point to the root where your domain name like abcd.com points to. So if you upload the video right there your video should be accessable as abcd.com/video.mp4 or something like that.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Firstly, I am a complete novice at web design. At present I am using Wordpress and using Bluehost as my hosting site and I have created a FTP account on Bluehost. My problem is I cannot get video clips to show on my website, I am trying to use Flowplayer and don't know how to find the URL that links the videos uploaded to my FTP site on my website.

Upload them to youtube then all you have to do is post the youtube url in your post.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Upload videos to YouTube or Vimeo, etc. And embed it.

The hosts are "unlimited" nominally. When you start using lots of bandwidth they'll cut you off or make it so slow you can't use it for video.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Upload videos to YouTube or Vimeo, etc. And embed it.

The hosts are "unlimited" nominally. When you start using lots of bandwidth they'll cut you off or make it so slow you can't use it for video.

Its not the bandwidth that they stop you on, they use cpu throttling instead which stops the site sometimes for 9000 seconds a day if you use a lot of cpu power.

And wordpress does not allow video embedding anymore.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I uploaded via FTP in bluehost

Did you change to a particular directory before you started the FTP upload? If not, then it's probably in your home directory. I don't know what folder structure Bluehost uses so you'll have to ask someone else for specifics, but you could try, at least, a URL like http://www.domain.com/videofilename.mp4. Paste that right into your browser and if your video starts to play or download, you've got the correct URL.

In the future if you intend to use FTP you could consider creating a folder somewhere on your domain, say "videos", and then making sure to change to it in FTP before you upload. Your future video URLs would then look like http://www.domain.com/videos/myvideo.mp4.

Personally for my website I have a YouTube channel where I send the videos to and then just link/embed from my WordPress site.

And wordpress does not allow video embedding anymore.

Video embedding works fine on WordPress installations running on your own hosted domain.

gavinrsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Did you change to a particular directory before you started the FTP upload? If not, then it's probably in your home directory. I don't know what folder structure Bluehost uses so you'll have to ask someone else for specifics, but you could try, at least, a URL like http://www.domain.com/videofilename.mp4. Paste that right into your browser and if your video starts to play or download, you've got the correct URL.

In the future if you intend to use FTP you could consider creating a folder somewhere on your domain, say "videos", and then making sure to change to it in FTP before you upload. Your future video URLs would then look like http://www.domain.com/videos/myvideo.mp4.

Personally for my website I have a YouTube channel where I send the videos to and then just link/embed from my WordPress site.

Video embedding works fine on WordPress installations running on your own hosted domain.

I don't want to link a URL to youtube... What I actually want is for the clip to show up on my Wordpress page and then play it from there like they show up in youtube i.e. not a hyperlink. any ideas....

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
I don't want to link a URL to youtube... What I actually want is for the clip to show up on my Wordpress page and then play it from there like they show up in youtube i.e. not a hyperlink. any ideas....

That's what embedding a video does. You see it on your page even though it's really on YouTube or Vimeo.

gavinrsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Sacramento, CA
That's what embedding a video does. You see it on your page even though it's really on YouTube or Vimeo.

I don't want my videos on youtube, they are already on the Bluehost FTP site, I would like to access them from Bluehost. For instance I would like to see a Quicktime player type screen on my web page.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I don't want my videos on youtube, they are already on the Bluehost FTP site, I would like to access them from Bluehost. For instance I would like to see a Quicktime player type screen on my web page.

kd5v1z.png

yuranga

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Australia
I think you should follow some simple steps to get the URL:

1.Just go to your ftp file.
2.Right click on your ftp file and copy link address.
3.Open a new tab in the browser window.
4.Remove the first domain name,rest that is remaining,Url is the video URL.

Thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.