PDA

View Full Version : iMac portability?

Likelife
Jun 8, 2005, 12:31 PM
Tired of waiting for an updated iBook, I'm thinking of getting a 20" iMac. The all-in-one style of the iMac implies that it can be somewhat-easily transported, but I have some questions about that.

1. I know the iMac is heavy. Is there a bag that can carry it?

2. Is the stand easily removable? I see iMacs hanging from the wall of my friendly neighborhood Apple Store, so I presume it's possible.

3. Has anyone tried doing this?

I figure that 99% of the time I'll be using it on my desk, but being able to take it, along with a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse, to another location is too tempting to ignore.

OutThere
Jun 8, 2005, 01:18 PM
Tired of waiting for an updated iBook, I'm thinking of getting a 20" iMac. The all-in-one style of the iMac implies that it can be somewhat-easily transported, but I have some questions about that.

1. I know the iMac is heavy. Is there a bag that can carry it?

2. Is the stand easily removable? I see iMacs hanging from the wall of my friendly neighborhood Apple Store, so I presume it's possible.

3. Has anyone tried doing this?

I figure that 99% of the time I'll be using it on my desk, but being able to take it, along with a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse, to another location is too tempting to ignore.

Here is a basic bag to carry it around in, but remember it's as fragile as any other desktop, so moving it is not something that really should be undertaken very often.

http://luggerbags.com/

rainman::|:|
Jun 8, 2005, 01:44 PM
Yeah as the owner of a 17", I'd say this thing is not meant to be moved that much. it's such an awkward size and shape, and it is very heavy. As for the foot, yes it's removable (IIRC, you just pop the back panel off, and unscrew the foot from the inside) and you can add a VESA mount (put it on an arm, or a wall hanger, or whatever...) The Apple Store nearby has a bunch mounted on a wall, running a simultaneous demo (which is really cool, incidentally). The foot can't simply be swapped on and off tho, it's really meant to be, one-or-the-other.

madmaxmedia
Jun 8, 2005, 01:49 PM
A Mini might be more suitable, if you were let's say moving from home desk to office desk (and had monitor and keyboard/mouse at both.)

A Mini has very similar specs as a PowerBook anyways...

Church
Jun 8, 2005, 02:00 PM
I go to LAN parties and such, and the eMac is the heaviest thing ever! Either way, the iMac G5 is half the weight of my eMac and is a lot easier to carry around. As long as you are careful, nothing bad will happen. ;)

Likelife
Jun 8, 2005, 03:28 PM
Either way, the iMac G5 is half the weight of my eMac and is a lot easier to carry around. As long as you are careful, nothing bad will happen. ;)
I most likely won't ever use the iMac as a portable, but having the option would be nice. And, the Mini seems like a crippled iBook, and since I don't have a monitor or keyboard, it's not for me. (I'll be switching from a VAIO laptop.)

I'm also considering an iBook, but if they don't get upgraded soon, I'll get an iMac G5.