Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkytwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Hi,

I just upgraded my ATI Radion HD 2600 to a Nvida GeForce 8800 GT and when I powered up I get the normal sounds and here the HD working but the screens are blank. They never come off standby.

I earthed myself, connected the power cord and screwed on the plate.

I am using Snow Leaperd (latest version I am fairly sure).

Any ideas?

Ben

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
You probably either have an efi64 version or a pc version.

Did you connect the power cable?

If you install Netkas' "aty_init" you will be able to use card, just not for boot screens.

If that works and card has 128k chip, you can flash it with correct rom

funkytwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
You probably either have an efi64 version or a pc version.

Did you connect the power cable?

If you install Netkas' "aty_init" you will be able to use card, just not for boot screens.

If that works and card has 128k chip, you can flash it with correct rom

Have found aty_init but not sure what to do with it.

So can I use my HD 2600 for my screens and get Resolve/FCPx to use the GPU power of the 8800 GT?

Ben

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
You have to have bought an 8800 GT specifically for the Mac Pro 1,1. The Mac Pro 1,1 does not work with all graphics cards.

funkytwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
You have to have bought an 8800 GT specifically for the Mac Pro 1,1. The Mac Pro 1,1 does not work with all graphics cards.

OK, so there are two different flavours of 8800 GT. How do I tell whitch flavour the card is. would it be better to get a 5770 or another card instead.

Also are you saying the kernel hack or whatever it is won't work?

To make things more complex I was thinking of going to Lion.

Ben

PS I have upgraded the CPU to 3Ghz Xeons.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
OK, so there are two different flavours of 8800 GT. How do I tell whitch flavour the card is. would it be better to get a 5770 or another card instead.

Also are you saying the kernel hack or whatever it is won't work?

To make things more complex I was thinking of going to Lion.

Ben

PS I have upgraded the CPU to 3Ghz Xeons.

I'm not sure there is a way to distinguish the Mac 8800GT from the other versions. If you're buying Mac cards, usually the Radeon 5770 is the best bet for a card that's compatible with a Mac Pro 1,1.

As MacVidCards is suggesting though, it might be possible to hack the card to turn it into the right version.

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Have found aty_init but not sure what to do with it.

So can I use my HD 2600 for my screens and get Resolve/FCPx to use the GPU power of the 8800 GT?

Ben

You need to install aty_init to System/Library/Extensions. Dragging it into the folder should suffice. A utility called KextHelper can also do it for you.

funkytwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Post a picture of the card please, I'll tell you if it's flashable. If so - it's pretty easy.

There is a picture of the card at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290658681825.

This is the one I got.

Where do I get aty_init, there seem to be lots of different versions.

Will the 5770 work with old Mac Pro or are there any others that I should look at. I want something tht is dual head.

Ben

Ben

Last edited:

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
there are two 8800GT for Mac

One released for 2008 Mac Pro and newer

One released for 2006-2007 Mac Pro

They look identical, like the one in your link. But the one you linked to clearly states it is from a 2008 Mac Pro.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Yep that is it as Cindori points out. The ad says for a 2008 Mac Pro so it is a dual channel card that will not work in a 1.1. Ask the vendor if they can exchange it for the third card on the link and it states it is for a 1sy Generation mac Pro. That's us!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
or just flash it with the EFI32 ROM and save yourself a lot of bother

Cindori's Zeus should do it, I'm sure he fixed the subsystem id/vendor id bug by now.

If not, you can just command line the nvflash utility and use "-9" switch to erase ROM first, then flash with the EFI32 ROM.

This very forum had the best threads on flashing 8800GT a couple years back, use "search"

As it is a Mac card, it for sure has the 128K chip.

Will take about 1 minute to flash once you get ATY_Init in there. You can do it in Lion by default. In 10.6.8 you will need to use the QUadro 4000 drivers to enable card first.

5thwall

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Hi all,

I'm having a similar situation in that I have an 8800GT that I pulled from a 2008 Mac Pro and need to put it in a 2007 Mac Pro 1,1.

The fan is going full blast and nothing shows up on the monitor. The computer does boot as I tested it through Remote Desktop.

I've been doing a ton of research today trying to figure out if and how I could re-flash the card to get it to work. Just having a hard time finding a good instruction guide.

Is there anyone here who might be able to provide me with some instructions and links to all the files I need to download to get it to work?

Thanks!

funkytwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I put Loon on my Mac Pro 2008 and it boots with a PC 5770, although you don't get the boot screen.

The fan is a bit noisy but there may be some 5770 cards that have quiet fans.

Ben

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hi all,

I'm having a similar situation in that I have an 8800GT that I pulled from a 2008 Mac Pro and need to put it in a 2007 Mac Pro 1,1.

The fan is going full blast and nothing shows up on the monitor. The computer does boot as I tested it through Remote Desktop.

I've been doing a ton of research today trying to figure out if and how I could re-flash the card to get it to work. Just having a hard time finding a good instruction guide.

Is there anyone here who might be able to provide me with some instructions and links to all the files I need to download to get it to work?

Thanks!

Asked and answered.

Use ATY_INit and it will start working once computer reaches desktop.

Read my previous answer for rest.

5thwall

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Asked and answered.

Use ATY_INit and it will start working once computer reaches desktop.

Read my previous answer for rest.

Hey MacVidCards,

Thanks for the reply. I tried that and it didn't work. Should have mentioned that in my post. I think it has to do with the firmware on the card. As soon as I turn on the computer, the fan on the card runs at full blast. It boots ok, but I can't see anything through the monitor. This was confirmed by logging into the system via remote desktop.

The card runs fine in my 2008. But as I mentioned, I read that those cards were flashed with a 64bit EFI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.