PDA

View Full Version : DEVELOPER KIT DETAILS

Dr. No
Jun 8, 2005, 03:22 PM
With all the excitement, I do not know if this has been posted yet, but XLR8YourMac has details of the develper kit Mac.

-3.6 GHz Pentium 4

-Uses Intel Integratred Graphics :eek:

-Uses BIOS :eek: :eek: :eek:

Apparently it is a standard PC motherboard.

Read more about it here:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

admanimal
Jun 8, 2005, 03:39 PM
With all the excitement, I do not know if this has been posted yet, but XLR8YourMac has details of the develper kit Mac.

-3.6 GHz Pentium 4

-Uses Intel Integratred Graphics :eek:

-Uses BIOS :eek: :eek: :eek:

Apparently it is a standard PC motherboard.

Read more about it here:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

I don't see why anyone particularly cares what is in the dev boxes. Steve clearly said actual consumer products will be very different.

zakatov
Jun 8, 2005, 04:16 PM
****, it seems like you can stick the HD into a regular PC and it would boot. Any word on how they made OSX Mac-only?

admanimal
Jun 8, 2005, 04:28 PM
****, it seems like you can stick the HD into a regular PC and it would boot. Any word on how they made OSX Mac-only?

Well...I don't think we know for sure whether the OS X on these hard drives is really Mac-only. But that still doesn't mean that you can just stick it into any PC and it will work...OS X doesn't have drivers for just any hardware.

There are lots of things they could do to make OS X Mac-only on real consumer Macs. As I'm sure someone will point out if I don't mention it, it will probably be possible to hack around whatever Apple does...but I'm also sure that this hacked OS X will not work as well.

wako
Jun 8, 2005, 04:31 PM

Its probably being developed later on when they actually have the real chip. They probably will just release a lock on it, if its installed on a system with a right chip in it, it will work and if it is a regular pentium it wont work. Something like that I would think.

CanadaRAM
Jun 8, 2005, 04:32 PM
The point is that this is a DEVELOPMENT system, by definition it is a hack using existing hardware and not the as yet unreleased hardware and OSX/x86 software -- as such it is GUARANTEED to not resemble the retail product.

The XBox 360 deveopment system is a G5 -- it doesn't mean that XBoxes will run Tiger/PPC either....

zakatov
Jun 8, 2005, 04:35 PM
Well...I don't think we know for sure whether the OS X on these hard drives is really Mac-only. But that still doesn't mean that you can just stick it into any PC and it will work...OS X doesn't have drivers for just any hardware.

There are lots of things they could do to make OS X Mac-only on real consumer Macs. As I'm sure someone will point out if I don't mention it, it will probably be possible to hack around whatever Apple does...but I'm also sure that this hacked OS X will not work as well.
I think it would be a pretty dumb move on Apple's part to release PC-compatible versions of OSX into the world (even under NDA).
Let's say in the end, Apple will use some sort of hardware lock to keep OSX Mac only. What prevents a developer to keep the copy of OSX that can run without that lock and use it to bypass the lock on the final locked down version?

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 8, 2005, 04:38 PM
That was a nice read, thanks.

Jo-Kun
Jun 9, 2005, 04:47 AM
so if Tiger runs nicely on a 'simple' system as this dev box seems to be... who knows what great things will come with a more powerfull motherboard/processor ;)

seems they made a good call at apple... and I'm convinced Mactel benchmarks will eat Wintel benchmarks alive (but don't shoot me if its not hahaha)

superbovine
Jun 9, 2005, 12:23 PM
I think it would be a pretty dumb move on Apple's part to release PC-compatible versions of OSX into the world (even under NDA).
Let's say in the end, Apple will use some sort of hardware lock to keep OSX Mac only. What prevents a developer to keep the copy of OSX that can run without that lock and use it to bypass the lock on the final locked down version?

considering the Darwin (the unix section of OS X) has always run on x86 processor this isn't really a big revalation that there is pc verison of os x. all the had to do was compile the gui using an x86.

evilernie
Jun 9, 2005, 12:51 PM
Laslo, that avatar is too much. Make it stop!