Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to use the following two functions on the trackpad instead of the keyboard:

ctrl + tab
command + `

I use those two functions a lot when I'm browsing the internet (I use chrome or firefox). The first function (ctrl + tab) is for cycling tabs in a single browser window. The second function (command + `) is for cycling windows in the browser.

I'm wondering if there is any way the trackpad can replace these functions. You know the way the trackpad can replace the alt + tab function using the four-finger swipe? I'm looking for something like that. Possibly a third-party app.

I am using OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

Thanks.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I use BetterTouchTool and a rotating (left and right) gesture to cycle through the tabs.

Thank you. That looks like what I need.

Can you please tell me how to configure it to cycle tabs? Cycling tabs is not one of the "predefined actions" in the list.

Also, what happens if I set a gesture that conflicts with the default gestures (like expose, etc.). Do the gestures of bettertouchtool override the defaults?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you. That looks like what I need.

Can you please tell me how to configure it to cycle tabs? Cycling tabs is not one of the "predefined actions" in the list.
You have to use the keyboard shortcut.
image is clickable
2012_01_22_pA1_BTT_SafariGestures.png

Also, what happens if I set a gesture that conflicts with the default gestures (like expose, etc.). Do the gestures of bettertouchtool override the defaults?
They conflict, as far as I know. I just disabled the gestured Mac OS X gave me and replaced them with better ones (that suit me) via BTT.

Here are my BTT gestures, which you can extract and then import into BTT via the IMPORT button you see on the left side of the BTT preferences.
DOWNLOAD LINK for simsaladimbamba's BTT trackpad gestures.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
This is great! Thank you so much for introducing me to this wonderful app. I've configured the tip-tap left / right to cycle tabs left / right in chrome and firefox. That's worked out really well for me. However, I'm still having problems configuring certain gestures like three fingered swipe (I think it's still conflicting with the original trackpad gestures for some reason). I'm unable to configure three fingered swipe left / right to do anything at all! Dunno what to do there.

EDIT: Also, what does it mean to "snap" a window?

Last edited:

WstCstCmtr

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
West Coast
If you are using firefox then you need to forget about tab and `.

command + number (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) is the bomb.

command + 9 is the highest tab.

It's the sole reason why I don't use safari.

GoPedro

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
simple option

just pinch your fingers in from corners, the use 2 fingers left or right to pick tab, then pinch out :D

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
If you are using firefox then you need to forget about tab and `.

command + number (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) is the bomb.

command + 9 is the highest tab.

It's the sole reason why I don't use safari.
I use command + number (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) as a shortcut for my Favorite Bar bookmarks in Safari.:)

Pinch in from the corners and you can select any tab from the trackpad as mentioned by the previous post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.