PDA

View Full Version : Apple merger/takeover...(by someone else)

mmmdreg
Oct 19, 2002, 08:52 AM
If Apple HAD to get bought by some other company, who would you like it to be? Sony? IBM? Microsoft?

Sun Baked
Oct 19, 2002, 09:02 AM
McDonald's, WalMart, or Chuck E Cheese would probably win the bid...

Best fit would be IBM. The Apple GUI running on AIX or even a Big Iron savvy version of OS X would really rock, a Apple GUI running on the client end of all IBM machines would make people weep.

Cursor
Oct 19, 2002, 09:21 AM
I agree. IBM would be the best. I would much rather a processor company take over Apple...if they had to be taken over at all. God help us, the day that M$ tries to do it.

Shrek
Oct 19, 2002, 11:32 AM
First it was the IBM PC, and now the IBM Macintosh? Hmmm. That could be interesting. ;)

3 words: IBM IBM IBM

jefhatfield
Oct 19, 2002, 01:06 PM
ibm...yuck...have you seen their industrial design...the worst in the industry
***but i like the x-30 laptop tho it's ugly...but great batt. time and under 4 lbs.

sony could keep the inside and outside of the computers nice to look at and work with

i could see ibm buying apple and dropping it a few years later...ibm did drop their retail computer division and only kept their online sales dept alive

sony would more likely keep apple going strong

if apple's market share doesn't go up, and their cash reserves stay at the dismal 1996-97 levels, and the stock price remains low....then apple will be sold...eventually

and don't forget steve jobs' best friend larry ellison...he could buy apple during his lunchbreak:p

medea
Oct 20, 2002, 02:55 PM
I think it would be either BMW or the Swatch company........

Chaszmyr
Oct 20, 2002, 03:11 PM
I think I might like to see Sun, if anyone, take over or merge with Apple.

Vector
Oct 20, 2002, 03:36 PM
If i had to choose from one of those companies i would choose ibm. Microsoft and sony would change apple (processors, os). I think that ibm would be willing to let apple have more freedom than the other two would allow. Ibm would change the processor for the better (sony and microsoft would change to intel). Ibm and apple have had a long relationship beginning with the venture capital they gave to apple and now the aim partnership. Ibm has plenty of money so they would not have to lower apple's quality to ensure a profit.

madamimadam
Oct 20, 2002, 07:12 PM
To be truthful, I would not want it to be any of those, I would want it to be me
;)

Shrek
Oct 20, 2002, 07:24 PM
LoL

bousozoku
Oct 21, 2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam
To be truthful, I would not want it to be any of those, I would want it to be me
;)

I'm with u...as soon as the lottery pays off.

madamimadam
Oct 21, 2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku

I'm with u...as soon as the lottery pays off.

I think it would take more than 1 lottery to be able to buy Apple
:)

Sun Baked
Oct 21, 2002, 11:59 PM
You'd probably be stuck with Gateway if you wanted to use lottery money to buy a computer company.

CompiledMonkey
Oct 22, 2002, 04:12 PM
I'd love to see Sun and Apple merge. Java > * :)

medea
Oct 22, 2002, 05:18 PM
I'm willing to sell Apple to the right person, and for the right price. I also have a few uninhabited islands and several bridges to sell.........;)

macktheknife
Oct 22, 2002, 06:39 PM
The new company name:

Sun + Apple = Snapple :D

wdlove
Oct 22, 2002, 07:00 PM
I would rather see Apple purchase IBM or Sun after merging with Pixar!:)

madamimadam
Oct 22, 2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I would rather see Apple purchase IBM or Sun after merging with Pixar!:)

Oh great... so we would get high performance, top class servers that have a look that appeals to the whole family, esp. the children, and a main machine marketed being a computer that looks like a luxo lamp with a swivel head and ads showing it jumping around and ejecting its CD drive as if it were a tounge.................................................. hhhhmmmmmmmm.
;) ;)

bousozoku
Oct 22, 2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam

I think it would take more than 1 lottery to be able to buy Apple
:)

If they go into any debt, maybe not. Still, a large holding of the stock would be leverage enough.

jefhatfield
Oct 22, 2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku

If they go into any debt, maybe not. Still, a large holding of the stock would be leverage enough.

usually on techie sites such as this, i see good tech info but bad financial info

but what you say is so true but don't expect more than 1% percent of the posters on any tech site, including here, to remotely understand what you are pointing out (which happens to be true)

...or for that matter, i wouldn't see a financial based site understand things like level 2 cache or photoshop filters:D ;)

jaykk
Oct 22, 2002, 09:01 PM
I think if IBM takes over Apple, Steve Jobs will be CEO of IBM..
And if Sun and Apple merges, the combined entity will be known as Apple.. ofcourse, Steve Jobs will be the CEO of combined company..

marklander
Oct 25, 2002, 02:16 AM
Sony would be horrible. Although they make some great products (like video cameras), overall, Sony quality is unreliable.

IBM isn't a bad match. They would be wise to run Apple as a separate PC division (keeping the name and the brand). With the added research dollars and combined purchasing power, Apple would grow considerably.

Sun would be good too...What if Apple bought Adobe?

jefhatfield
Oct 25, 2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by marklander
Sony would be horrible. Although they make some great products (like video cameras), overall, Sony quality is unreliable.

IBM isn't a bad match. They would be wise to run Apple as a separate PC division (keeping the name and the brand). With the added research dollars and combined purchasing power, Apple would grow considerably.

what planet do you live on?:p

and where were you before lou gerstner?

mcrain
Oct 25, 2002, 09:24 AM
The best fit is IBM. It's a domestic company with a long standing history. There would be obvious benefits to a merger such as this, so long as Moto doesn't file some suit alleging anti-competition (on chip purchases by IBM-Apple).

Sony is a Japanese company, BMW is German, Swatch is Swiss I think. The US Government takes technology transfers overseas pretty seriously, and there might be some interesting hangups with a purchase/merger by a foreign company. HP and Compaq had huge anti-competition and shareholder problems when they merged, so they are off the table. Microsoft probably can't buy Apple because of its ongoing federal problems. Gateway, nothing need be said. Motorola? That's the only wild card among the "obvious" potential purchasers/merger candidates.

IBM's huge enough, and like was said earlier, they make good products, but their industrial design sucks. They also use MS and Intel/AMD chips. Plus, they dropped their retail computer sales. This would allow IBM to again have fantastic well designed machines, control over the chips and OS, as well as a retail presence under a different brand name (similar to Old Navy/Gap).

Anyway, I don't think it will happen, but if it did, I'd say IBM is the most likely candidate.

irmongoose
Oct 25, 2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

usually on techie sites such as this, i see good tech info but bad financial info

but what you say is so true but don't expect more than 1% percent of the posters on any tech site, including here, to remotely understand what you are pointing out (which happens to be true)

Well then, get on with it, you got some 'shplainin to do.

irmongoose

macmax
Oct 25, 2002, 09:48 AM
Fender,
in this way i could have an Apple Strat Mac , hehhehhehe:D :p :cool:

wsteineker
Oct 25, 2002, 10:27 AM
I think we're all forgetting the one damning aspect of an Apple/IBM merger. IBM coproprate structure is among the most rigid in the world. While it has laxed a bit in recent years, it is still FAR too formalized to ever allow a smooth integration with a relatively freewheeling company like Apple. While this would be an ideal marraige from a product standpoint (excellent OS+excellent hardware design=rockin' machine) it would be a total disaster from an integration standpoint. Even if IBM were to hold Apple as a wholly owned subsidiary the management issues would be disasterous.

That said...we're talking fiction here so I'm all for IBM. :D

macmax
Oct 25, 2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by macmax
Fender,

jefhatfield
Oct 27, 2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose

Well then, get on with it, you got some 'shplainin to do.

irmongoose

boring explanations ranging from harvard case study to university of chicago to sloan b-school theories don't say it as well as the funny movie, "other people's money" with danny devito

where leverage can be mishandled runs into the realm of corporate raider and vc tactics not conforming with sec or gaap...think enron or redmond for that matter but this is all a mv dance we are talking about and subject to political whims of the time and may not be anymore relevant than taft-hartley or sherman anti trust act...as this really relates to this site any more than to a poet at wharton, but something that would get a rise in a quant jock...andf blah blah blah

but see the movie since it's a great microcosm of modern american corporate business:p

wdlove
Oct 28, 2002, 01:54 PM
Apple would put a stong vibrant face onto the corporate structure at IBM! ABM for "Apple Business Machines" :)