Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I want to upgrade the memory on a 15" powerbook and a g5 imac. I was curious if it was crucial be in a 2xwhat ever configuration. I made my own computer a few months ago and only had a 1x512mb setup and it worked and i see that the new imac g5s have a similar setup. When I did a search on these forums it was said that it was crucial to do so I just wanted to make sure. I'd like to go from 2x256mb to 1x1gb and 1x256mb in my powerbook and probably the same for the imac (although I haven't seen the setup so I'm not sure the exact setup).
Thanks,
Stephen

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
When looking on newegg's site: 1gb powmax 200 pin pc2700
I found some memory that is cheap and lots of powerbook users rave about it. Unfortunately it doesn't work with my 1.25 ghz 15" powerbook (i used my friend's who bought it) and it crashes like crazy just like it says. I was curious what 1ghz chip i could buy. I found this by Crucial: here
But it has a different model number then the one is recommended on crucials site even though the specs are the same (and it is way more $$): here

Thanks,
Stephen

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
excalibur313 said:
When looking on newegg's site: 1gb powmax 200 pin pc2700
I found some memory that is cheap and lots of powerbook users rave about it. Unfortunately it doesn't work with my 1.25 ghz 15" powerbook (i used my friend's who bought it) and it crashes like crazy just like it says. I was curious what 1ghz chip i could buy. I found this by Crucial: here
But it has a different model number then the one is recommended on crucials site even though the specs are the same (and it is way more $$): here

Macs have a higher intolerance on RAM than PCs do. So you need Mac-compatible RAM (aka, tested to higher fault tolerances) to run without kernel panics.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You do not need paired memory in the Powerbook or in the iMac G5. There is no performance benefit to matched pairs in the PB, and the iMac G5 benefit is more theoretical than real.

You know if memory is Mac compatible when the seller offers a written guarantee that they have tested it and it is compatible with your Mac. Nothing less.

There's a reason why the Crucial Powerbook RAM is more expensive: They changed the construction of their PC Generic PC2700 SODIMMs so they are no longer compatible; therefore they only guarantee Apple compatibility on their Powerbook part numbers.

Crucial is one choice, albeit expensive, some posters here like Kingston, OWC or RAMJet, but in the USA I like Data Memory Systems http://www.datamem.com

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
but you even said before crucial or kingston for example doesn't make all their memory such that it will work in a mac. How can I tell even when the specs match up?
As was posted above crucial makes some ram at the same specs as the stuff I need but you said in a previous post it won't work. (it goes for like $130)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
excalibur313 said:
but you even said before crucial or kingston for example doesn't make all their memory such that it will work in a mac. How can I tell even when the specs match up?
As was posted above crucial makes some ram at the same specs as the stuff I need but you said in a previous post it won't work. (it goes for like $130)
You can tell because the seller says "This RAM is for this Mac." in writing.

Kingston and Crucial make a gazillion models of RAM, only a dozen or so are for Mac.

You CANNOT tell from the published specs such as "PC2700 CL3 2.5V DDR SODIMM 1.15"H 200 pin (128x64)" That's like saying I've got a piston for a Chevy V-8 -- accurate as far as it goes but doesn't say whether it will fit your particular model and year.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Words of advise:

When putting in the memory in your PB, be VERY CAREFUL with the screws. You'll need a size 0 screw drive, and be carefull you dont strip those screws. The strip easier than a dancer at gentlemans club.

btw I bought the crucial THIS RAM IS FOR MAC. 1 GB chip for my computer. was about $190.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.