PDA

View Full Version : Any high school students/programmers here?

Gary King
Jun 8, 2005, 08:22 PM
Are there any high school students here who are also programmers, or at least who program? I'm one, and am thinking of getting a laptop, or a Mini.

Anyone here who has a Mac and is a high school student or a programmer, please post your Mac type :) Also, if you have a laptop, where do you bring it? In my case, I would probably try not to bring my laptop to school if I had one, since it has a high possibility of getting stolen. Although, my school DOES have wifi (I think students can access it, too) but again, the crime rate in my school is pretty darn high :p But, portability could be useful to me when moving to other places - besides my school. Although... I have a PDA (but no internet access) and a cellphone already, so maybe that would be another thing I have to lug around.

Plymouthbreezer
Jun 8, 2005, 08:29 PM
Are there any high school students here who are also programmers, or at least who program? I'm one, and am thinking of getting a laptop, or a Mini.

Anyone here who has a Mac and is a high school student or a programmer, please post your Mac type :) Also, if you have a laptop, where do you bring it? In my case, I would probably try not to bring my laptop to school if I had one, since it has a high possibility of getting stolen. Although, my school DOES have wifi (I think students can access it, too) but again, the crime rate in my school is pretty darn high :p But, portability could be useful to me when moving to other places - besides my school. Although... I have a PDA (but no internet access) and a cellphone already, so maybe that would be another thing I have to lug around.
Not really a programer, but I am in high school.

I have two Macs, a iMac G4 17" and a Sage G3 iMac.

I would love to get an iBook for school, but we don't have wifi.. Sadly.

runninmac
Jun 8, 2005, 08:37 PM
I am in high school too. The only machine i have unfortunately is this piece of crap windows box :mad: that I got before I discovered the Mac its pretty old so it will be updated soon. I don't program anything yet but its something that I would like to pick up. When i get my new computer it will be a Powerbook or iBook not sure witch one. The only time I would bring it to school is for Student Council to get some stuff done. (i will have a 4th hour to do this), but the crime rate is pretty low.

colosodian
Jun 8, 2005, 09:07 PM
Im entering senior year next year. Main machine is an AMD 64 3200 running XP Pro.

I have another box running linux for light development. Im picking up a mini on saturday(1.25 stock) and replacing the memory with a 1GB stick. The mini will be replacing the old linux box and will be used for java projects, web development, and as a file server.

I hope it lives up to its expictations.

katie ta achoo
Jun 8, 2005, 09:43 PM
I'm entering senior year, I'm not really a programmer, but I have a 15" powerbook.
it is LOVE!

and yeah, I barely take mine to school EVER. I'm so scared it'll get stolen or hurt. :(

Mechcozmo
Jun 8, 2005, 09:49 PM
Learning C++

12" PowerBook Rev. C goes most everywhere with me.... :)

homerjward
Jun 8, 2005, 09:50 PM
im in high school, and not really a programmer yet but i'm taking a class in java and c++ next year. :rolleyes: currently have an emac but i'm selling it and building an Athlon X2 4400+ box this summer...:(

mikemodena
Jun 8, 2005, 10:03 PM
I'm a sophomore (1 week left of school!) My school has a hardcore video studio.. 2 rooms full of macs. I'm in charge of editing our morning announcements, along with next year, a TV show we are producing. (We have a fiber optic connection to Channel 28 at Comcast.. But they had to choose a children's show.. hah!) For Christmas my parents got me a 12" ibook with 512 ram. At first I brought it to school but after about 2 weeks I stopped because there was no point. My school does have WiFi, and all the teachers in the school have iBooks because we have Power School. Let me just say, Power School is secure.. but human stupidity can't be made up for. They put their passwords right on the laptop. That helped me out with getting rid of a few tardies, but that's a whole different story. :) With my birthday being in 3 weeks my laptop is going to be converted into a desktop. I'm getting a 17" LCD monitor, bluetooth dongle, apple wireless mouse and keyboard, and a gig of ram. I'm going to place it on an iCurve and have it as a desktop. Because of my hefty responsibilities next year, I get a few credits toward graduation and I get to hang around the studio all day because I have it on my schedule like 3 times. Along with that I get to have a 17" powerbook to myself for the year. Nice, huh? I have to give it back in the summer though. When I graduate I'm hoping for a 15" Intel Powered PowerBook or whatever it will be called in 2007.

MacFan25863
Jun 8, 2005, 10:36 PM
I use my 12 inch Powerbook for HTML and PHP programming at school (though I focus on making actual programs out of the two rather than webpages...you can do some interesing stuff with MySQL and PHP). We have WiFi, so thats cool. We also have an awesome video studio and a daily news program (I'm the director). Run the entire show from a Dual 2.7 GHz G5, just ordered 2 weeks ago, plus a few iMacs for the teleprompters and audio stuff. Not to mention 15 eMacs for the Video 1 students :D

(note: we got all the cool stuff since we are a brand new school...West Ranch High School in Valencia. The campus is still under construction, will be done by the start of the school year. This year we were just 10 portables in a parking lot...so next year will be awesome.)

ham_man
Jun 8, 2005, 10:44 PM
I am a sophomore, who is taking a stab at C++ as well as a bit of Apple Script. I am running a 12" PowerBook 1.5 Ghz with 768 RAM 80 gb.