PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions for mac nerds :p

SMumps
Jun 9, 2005, 12:44 AM
1. I have a powerbook g4 and a imac g5. I was wondering if there was any possible way to hook it up so that the imac is the display for the powerbook (my 1.5ghz/1.25ram powerbook is better than the imac)

2. Crucial says that the best RAM for the imac would be 184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200. Do I have to use that? Can I use 200-pin SODIMM DDR PC2700 RAM instead? I have a gig stick lying around and would love to upgrade the imac.

Thank you for the help!

After G
Jun 9, 2005, 01:54 AM
Answers:

1) The iMac is more than a display; that being said, if you want your PB to display stuff onto the iMac, look at Remote Desktop/VNC. Don't know how to turn the iMac into a pure display.

2) I recommend using what is recommended. At best, the RAM already in there will downclock; at worst, hardware failure. At least that's what I think is supposed to happen.

CanadaRAM
Jun 9, 2005, 02:01 AM
1. I have a powerbook g4 and a imac g5. I was wondering if there was any possible way to hook it up so that the imac is the display for the powerbook (my 1.5ghz/1.25ram powerbook is better than the imac)

2. Crucial says that the best RAM for the imac would be 184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200. Do I have to use that? Can I use 200-pin SODIMM DDR PC2700 RAM instead? I have a gig stick lying around and would love to upgrade the imac.

Thank you for the help!
1) No.
PS: Why do you think your 1.5 GHz G4 is better than your 1.6 GHz G5? Have you go the iMac set to highest performance?

2) No, your iMac G5 will crash and burn on the PC2700 stick. It requires PC3200, and not just any PC3200, but ones with the SPD values set in very specific ways. Many PC Generic PC3200s won't work either. Go with a seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with the iMac G5. Crucial, OWC, RAMJet, and DMS http://www.datamem.com are all mentioned in these fora

3) Using a more descriptive thread title may get you faster and better answers.

wako
Jun 9, 2005, 02:01 AM
No the RAM wont work, if the system is 184 pin you have to find RAM that is 184 pin as well.