Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikext

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I've noticed that in my iTunes Media folder that some of my albums are split into two separate folders: one for the .mp3s and a folder for the .jpg of the album artwork. Why does it do this? Can I stop it from happening? It kind of bugs me. This might be a normal thing. Before Lion, i kept all my music files on an external hard drive and didn't really pay attention/use to the media folder.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't do a thorough search on this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 2.29.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 2.29.16 AM.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 711
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 2.29.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 2.29.26 AM.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 578
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 2.29.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 2.29.37 AM.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 563

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've noticed that in my iTunes Media folder that some of my albums are split into two separate folders: one for the .mp3s and a folder for the .jpg of the album artwork. Why does it do this? It kind of bugs me. This might be a normal thing. Before Lion, i kept all my music files on an external hard drive and didn't really pay attention/use to the media folder.
When you download artwork from iTunes, it stores it in a separate folder. If you manually add album art to songs in your library, it stores the artwork in the .mp3 files themselves. I manually add artwork of higher quality than iTunes will download, by searching via Google or using sites like Album Art Exchange.

mikext

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Dallas
When you download artwork from iTunes, it stores it in a separate folder. If you manually add album art to songs in your library, it stores the artwork in the .mp3 files themselves. I manually add artwork of higher quality than iTunes will download, by searching via Google or using sites like Album Art Exchange.

I have never downloaded the album art from iTunes and always dragged and dropped the artwork. would this cause it as well?

It also just dawned on me that, in a.rar file i have downloaded, the image (.jpg) for the artwork is already in the folder. when I put the album file in to the media folder, could this cause the album folder to split into two folders?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have never downloaded the album art from iTunes and always dragged and dropped the artwork. would this cause it as well?
Where exactly did you drag and drop it? It shouldn't create copies of artwork in separate folders, unless you actively make it do so, such as using a script from Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes, which is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
drag and drop or copy and paste into the "drag artwork here" area
That won't create the separate artwork folders you're seeing. Have you installed any apps to help you manage artwork or metadata or other iTunes-related apps?

mikext

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Dallas
while we're at it, my album artwork won't show up on the songs on my iPod while in iTunes. They work fine on the iPod, but they don't show up on my iPod on iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.