Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Nov 28, 2010
located
That is a bit much for a 2006 MacBook. I sold my 2008 MacBook for 600 € last year.
And that MacBook will not run Lion (the latest OS X version) and the RAM is limited to 2 GB.

Better look for 2008 models with a C2D CPU.

And I don't know, how I can answer you the performance question, as that depends on your computational habits and needs.

minnesotamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
well, im gonna be using it for web browsing, possibly itunes, then just microsoft office, and occisional gaming online... and where should i look to buy a refurb??

Nov 28, 2010
located
well, im gonna be using it for web browsing, possibly itunes, then just microsoft office, and occisional gaming online... and where should i look to buy a refurb??

That Mac you linked to, will do fine with these tasks, except maybe online games, that depend on Adobe Flash. But as that machine is almost six years old, I would look for newer ones, if you have to go the "second-hand" route.

Here, though you will hardly get any Mac there for less than 700 USD.

minnesotamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
just school work, i have a budget of about 550 dollars so its either buy a new pc or buy a refurb mac...im just weighing my options here and looking for help....although i have kind of sold myself on a mac...

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I bought a 2007 MacBook for $525 (that included tax).
It has no problem with web browsing, office work, spreadsheets, etc.
It also has no problems with iTunes or ripped movies.

The only thing I've tried to do with it that it couldn't handle was gaming.
Plants VS Zombies is perfect.
Trine is absolutely unplayable (even on the lowest settings).

If you want to upgrade to Lion, then you need a Core 2 Duo (not a Core Duo).
That may not be an issue (lots of people prefer Snow Leopard).

The basic rule for computers is buy the newest stuff you can afford.

I'd also check Craigslist (it can be hit/miss depending on where you live).

minnesotamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
soo im a newbie, would you guys trust ebay?? and is refurbished worth the extra dollar?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
soo im a newbie, would you guys trust ebay?? and is refurbished worth the extra dollar?

If you're going to buy from eBay, look for someone who has very high positive feedback. In my opinion the 2008 Aluminum Macbooks are the best. I'm pretty sure there are some in your price range on eBay, or like someone above me said; look on craigslist (just be careful).

I bought a 2010 refurbished Macbook from Apple, I think it's worth the extra dollar. It's basically like new, you can't even tell its refurbished. The really good thing about refurbished Macbooks is that you also get the standard 1 year AppleCare warranty, plus (if you buy the extended warranty) an additional 3 years after that 1st year. Only thing is you'll be paying close to 900+ dollars (if your state makes you pay taxes), which is REALLY out your price range. Hope this helps you a little. :)

----------

okk guys, so im 16 and been dealing with my parents hps and dells and honestly they suck compared to my all my friends macbooks and macbook pro's, so heres the deal im looking to buy a macbook and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...232?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item19cd051ec0#shId
so will this last me 2 years tell college? and whats the performance i can expect out of it....

Being quite honest, I don't think a used 2006 Macbook will last you that long; but I could be wrong. It's best if you get a slightly newer model. Preferably 2008 and above.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
okk guys, so im 16 and been dealing with my parents hps and dells and honestly they suck compared to my all my friends macbooks and macbook pro's, so heres the deal im looking to buy a macbook and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...232?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item19cd051ec0#shId
so will this last me 2 years tell college? and whats the performance i can expect out of it....

I just got a late 08 Unibody 2ghz model with 4 gigs of ram and an ssd in the superdrive bay with a brand new battery and a griffin elevator for $600. Its in absolutely perfect condition so I would have to say a 2006 model isn't worth $375 right now especially since its a CD instead of a C2D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.