Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkh1196

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
I currently use a desktop Mac from not too long ago, but do to the fact that it is now becoming my professional computer, I need a new laptop for personal use. I was hoping to get a macbook air, or a thirteen inch macbook pro. I plan, though, on waiting for the presumed updates to these devices expected this year. My problem though is in storage. Predictions say that all will probably have SSD, and it, for my budget as a fifteen year old, is very expensive. I would prefer to have SSD though, and I need a solution to my storage problem. Over my six years of using iTunes, I've downloaded a little less than two hundred GBs in content. About 140 Gbs of that is television shows. I don't actually watch all of them any more, but since I did pay for them, I'd prefer to not get rid of them. Sadly, I don't think I would be able to store it on my new laptop, as SSD storage is so small for so much money. Any advice? Could I back the videos up somewhere and access them when I want them? I would like to keep my music and movies onto my new computer, but leave most of the TV shows behind.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Yeah, you can "delete" the files from your iTunes library, then move the files to an external drive. Then drag them over to iTunes whiles holding the option key. That way, the files get added to the library without being copied to your music folder. Obviously you can only use them when de drive is connected.

With that said, I don't think all MacBooks are going to be ssd. There is still a lot of life left in HDD. ESPECIALLY for those on a budget like you seem to be.

May I ask what do you mean by professional laptop since you are only 15?

dmblue

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
Or you can do what i did.

Remove optical drive
Install drive caddy and second HDD
Install SSD

Two HDD MacBook pro

jkh1196

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Professional, I do a lot of video making on my desktop for school, local businesses and my own YouTube videos, so I decided to get a personal computer for homework, web browsing and more.

Lisa89

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I've put all of my music files and movies on an external drive. You can easily acces it whenever you want. If i want to listen to my favorite music, i use my ipod. It's a bit of a hassle to listen to something, (you can always put a part of your music on your internal harddrive) but it's manageable...

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I agree with getting an external hard drive. You can put either your personal or "professional" files on to it and it is far cheaper that getting a MBP. With that being said if your looking to buy a new MBP be prepared to spend at least $1200 and if your on a budget especially for a 15 year old I think that may be out of your price range, I recommend the external hard drive solves your problem and is much much cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.