PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 Price Drops

MacTruck
Jun 9, 2005, 01:01 PM
Are the G5s going to drop in price anytime soon? I figured after the announcement they would drop them down $500 or something. Its a bit arrogant to still charge $3000 for a computer that we know is getting phased out some time next year. I would expect a $1000 price drop. If that happened I might buy a G5. Anybody have any idea if this will happen?

grapes911
Jun 9, 2005, 01:15 PM
Every computer for sale is going to be "phased out some time next year" or before. Thats the nature of the business. Don't expect a price cut anytime soon. There will probably be at least one more update before the switch to intel. Maybe you'll get a discount on the current model then.

wdlove
Jun 9, 2005, 01:42 PM
The transition begins in 2006, but won't be complete until 2007. We still don't know the timing of the change to Intel. Maybe by this time next year will have more of an idea. Currently the only decrease in price are from the catalogues, educational discount, and a refurb. I don't look for a discount until closer to the transition, at they point they will want to unload inventory.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2005, 01:59 PM
Um, I'm thinking we'll see a PowerPC updated in the PowerMacs before we see an Intel PowerPC. So you shouldn't be getting any price drops. There is one Intel roadmap post here that shows the PowerMacs getting the Intel chips in 2007 - I can't see Apple waiting that long to update the PowerMacs....

So its business as usual and we might see a speed bump or more before the end of the summer or early fall.

D

dmw007
Jun 10, 2005, 09:55 PM
$500 price drop...don't hold your breath ;)

macbaseball
Jun 10, 2005, 11:36 PM
There's no way. The Power Mac is still an awesome computer. It's not like because Steve said, "Were wwtiching to Intel", that it magically became a piece of junk. The Power Macs are 2 years away. In two years people can get a lot of use out of a computer. At least that's what Apple is thinking, along with me.

MacTruck
Jun 10, 2005, 11:45 PM
$3000 for a powermac that has been announced end of life in 2 yrs is not a good deal.

solvs
Jun 10, 2005, 11:55 PM
$200 less and a new single G5 would be nice, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

zelmo
Jun 11, 2005, 12:02 AM
$500 is a little extreme, but if sales of PPC Macs tank over the next few months, they'll have to drop prices just to clear out old inventory.

law guy
Jun 11, 2005, 08:55 AM
Are the G5s going to drop in price anytime soon? I figured after the announcement they would drop them down $500 or something. Its a bit arrogant to still charge $3000 for a computer that we know is getting phased out some time next year. I would expect a $1000 price drop. If that happened I might buy a G5. Anybody have any idea if this will happen?

I've made a few purchases directly from Apple and when I buy hardware, I always call in to talk to a sales rep. I've found that asking for the "best price" / if there are any discounts / if they expect any discounts, they've been very good about offering me discounts if it will "seal the deal" - a little bit like car dealership haggling. This was true on my PB 15" when I bought the 1.5 model last year even though it was fairly new at the time. The discount was dramatic - one or two hundred dollars - but it was something.

I told my father to use the number rather than on-line when he was buying his 20" iMac last month. They worked with him for awhile, asking questions until they found that he was retired and had taught for some years long ago and offered him the .edu discount.

These folks seem to be empowered to make discount decisions / work with folks to make a sale in ways that other Apple sales channels are not.