PDA

View Full Version : problems with new superduperdrive

emtkopan
Jun 9, 2005, 02:58 PM
I purchased and installed a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-845S. This superdrive supports dual layer support. I understand others have done the same but now the drive spits out all DVD-R discs I insert. I have no idea why it is doing this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

superbovine
Jun 9, 2005, 03:52 PM
I purchased and installed a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-845S. This superdrive supports dual layer support. I understand others have done the same but now the drive spits out all DVD-R discs I insert. I have no idea why it is doing this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

open console in the Utility folder and put the disc and see what error message you get.

emtkopan
Jun 9, 2005, 06:39 PM
I opened up console and put int he disc but nothing happened. Now what? It worked yesterday but today it won't do anything. Thanks.

superbovine
Jun 9, 2005, 07:55 PM
I opened up console and put int he disc but nothing happened. Now what? It worked yesterday but today it won't do anything. Thanks.

usually, if there is an error with the cd it will show up in console. is the disc spinning up? do you see the "cd icon" on the desktop? Have you tried different media? i.e. dvd, dvd-r,cd-rw,cd-rw, cd-rom, etc? What kind of mac do you have? Repair permissions?

emtkopan
Jun 9, 2005, 09:49 PM
I can hear the disk spin, it does not show up on desktop, DVD-R And RW are not recognized. CD-R are recgonized. A DVD-R I wrote last night is not recognized tonight. The only thing I added was Patchburn after the problems started in hopes it would fix it to no avail.

superbovine
Jun 10, 2005, 06:28 PM
I can hear the disk spin, it does not show up on desktop, DVD-R And RW are not recognized. CD-R are recgonized. A DVD-R I wrote last night is not recognized tonight. The only thing I added was Patchburn after the problems started in hopes it would fix it to no avail.

apple recommends apple branded dvd-r and verbatim branded dvd-r. also get a cd/dvd cleaner disk, and blow out the dust with a can of compressed air. if the laser is a bit dirty it might work for one type, but not another. my guess it is patchburn though.

emtkopan
Jun 14, 2005, 08:23 AM
I've patched, unpatched. Nothing seems to work. I understand the problem with using cheap dvds however I used these dvds the day before and now the drive won't accept them. I'm at a complete loss as what to do.

yellow
Jun 14, 2005, 08:33 AM
I'm confused.. a DVD-RAM should only write to DVD-RAM disks. It'll read (some) DVDs, and all CDs. But it shouldn't write to CDs or DVD (other then the RAM). If you're running Panther or later, please post the results of this from the Terminal:

drutil info

It will tell you what formats are supposed to be supported.

emtkopan
Jun 14, 2005, 09:56 PM
I'm confused.. a DVD-RAM should only write to DVD-RAM disks. It'll read (some) DVDs, and all CDs. But it shouldn't write to CDs or DVD (other then the RAM). If you're running Panther or later, please post the results of this from the Terminal:

drutil info

It will tell you what formats are supposed to be supported.

I can tell you according to the system profile that he drive supports: CD,CD-R,CD-RW,DVD,DVD-R,DVD+R,DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD+R DL. One day it wrote to the DVD-R the next day it won't even read it.

yellow
Jun 15, 2005, 06:35 AM
The drive is jumpered for master, correct? I've seen drives behave strangely if they were mis-jumpered. Tried logging in as another user to verify that it's screwy across the board, or just relegated to your system?

Otherwise, you might want to seek some help from where you bought it.