Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Is there anything better then Audacity that is also free?

dj-anon

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Audacity is this popular because its free. If you want something better, unfortunately, you'll have to pay for it.

mroddjob

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Reaper is supposed to be very good. Technically they ask you to pay $60/$225 for it but they let you download the full version with no time limits to trial it. I've never used it but it has had many good reviews. Btw I'm not suggesting piracy :p, i think $60 is a bargain for a good DAW.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
If your finances allow, Adobe's Audition is THE sound editor/wave editor of choice. Used to be called Cool Edit pro(Syntrillium)...purchased by Adobe...and they're currently on version 5.5 I believe. About $300...bit to date, the updates have been a reasonable 79 or 99 bucks to The latest version. I've been using CEP/Audition for 15 years. It's the industry standard (radio and voice over).

Otherwise, as mentioned earlier. Garage band is highly underrated in my humble opinion. Spend a half hour on YouTube and you'll find out just how powerful it is especially as a a basic sound editor.

GL
J

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No. Where did you get Audacity? What do you do with it?

Audacity

About Audacity

Audacity is a free, easy-to-use and multilingual audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. You can use Audacity to:

Record live audio.
Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files.
Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
Change the speed or pitch of a recording.
And more! See the complete list of features.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
IMO garage band is under rated

I agree! A lot of features exist which people tend not to know about.

Try GarageBand, and if there's something you want to do. Google it!
GarageBand can probably provide a solution to a lot of things.

But if you want a decent application, you may have to pay for it.

saberwing1010

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
for cheap (as in, pay what you want), you can get Ardour. I used it for quite a while before getting my copy of Logic.

Ardour.org

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.