Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
From Charlotte.com
Officer seeks body; accidentally runs it over

DANICA COTO
Staff Writer

A Gaston County police officer who was dispatched around 3 a.m. Thursday to investigate a call about a body found along Dallas-Cherryville Highway hit the body, police said.

It’s unclear whether the man, who hasn’t been identified, was still alive when he was hit, said Capt. Tony Robinson. The victim was declared dead at the scene after being hit by the police car.

Police don’t expect preliminary autopsy results until Friday, he said. Officer J.C. May, who was traveling west from Dallas, approached the intersection at Mauney Road and was blinded by a car stopped in the road with its high beams on when he hit the body, Robinson said.

The person in the parked car had made the 911 call, Robinson said, adding that he didn’t know whether the person checked on the man and knew whether he was alive at the time.

May is on paid administrative leave, as is procedure, while the N.C. Highway Patrol investigates, Robinson said.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
I hate when I want to laugh at something sad. Its kinda funny from the standpoint of the person who called 911 and waited. "Ah yes. Here come the police. They'll take care of everything." <THUMP, THUMP> "WTF!?"

Or from the Police Officer's standpoint. "Yeah yeah yeah, stupid person laying around here some <THUMP THUMP>...where... Damn."

Really sad though that someone died.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is truly very sad. A perfect example that accidents do happen. My prayers go out to the victim, his family, the officer and his family. :(

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
.....blinded by a car stopped in the road with its high beams........

Well, I suppose that's one way to get the cops help you finish off the job.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
KingSleaze said:
.....blinded by a car stopped in the road with its high beams........

Well, I suppose that's one way to get the cops help you finish off the job.
Are you implying homicide by cop?

Anyhow it was a bonehead move for the driver of the parked car to have his/her high beams on. Too many people misunderstand the proper use of high beams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.