PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about PowerMac "Handles"

desenso
Jun 9, 2005, 06:06 PM
Hi everyone. Just took delivery of my new Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7 (new Mac user). Love it so far. However, I have a stupid question; can I use the "handles" (the two arms that extend from the top and bottom of the computer) to lift and move the computer around? They seem quite sturdy, but at the same time the computer weighs about 55lb, so I want to be 100% sure these things are as strong as they are crafted (beautifully, I might add) to look?

Thanks.

MisterMe
Jun 9, 2005, 06:21 PM
Hi everyone. Just took delivery of my new Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7 (new Mac user). Love it so far. However, I have a stupid question; can I use the "handles" (the two arms that extend from the top and bottom of the computer) to lift and move the computer around? They seem quite sturdy, but at the same time the computer weighs about 55lb, so I want to be 100% sure these things are as strong as they are crafted (beautifully, I might add) to look?

Thanks.Of course, you can. Why would you think otherwise? Macs have had those handles since the blue & white G3s.

tdhurst
Jun 9, 2005, 06:56 PM
I frequently carry the G4 towers around by ONE handle...I don't swing it around, but I have never had a problem.

The aluminum on the G5 hurts too much to do that though.

desenso
Jun 9, 2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys!

Rod Rod
Jun 9, 2005, 08:17 PM
The aluminum on the G5 hurts too much to do that though.
Use oven mitts or gardening gloves. :)

noel4r
Jun 9, 2005, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I was surprised when I got my PM, had to lug it upstairs w/ the box. I almost broke my back...

uaaerospace
Jun 9, 2005, 11:58 PM
On check-in (and out) days at college, I get to laugh at the dell folks carrying their boxes with both hands. I've got my LCD (in box) in one hand and my G5 in the other. The handles are very strong. Just take a washcloth or something to provide some padding between the thin edges and your fingers. Still heavy, but the handles do help.

ArcticFox
Jun 10, 2005, 12:29 AM
I like the fact that the handles are on both the top and the bottom - I suppose it provides better airflow and makes the system look more uniform.

Also, if you have any doubts about the structural design of your tower - try popping the side panel off and seeing both how heavy it is and the thickness of the aluminum. Once I saw and felt that I had a better idea on what I was dealing with.

P.S. Congrats on your new purchase. While you've got 700Mhz more power per proc then I do and support for 8GB RAM, just remember it's about the experience, not just the hardware. :p

Jaffa Cake
Jun 10, 2005, 02:27 AM
We lugged our studio G5 to an exhibition during the week using said handles so you'll do fine* but like others have mentioned, it might be an idea to put something between the handle and your hand. The edges can start to dig in after a while...