Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dloreski

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I have a MBP, iphone, and ipad.
I'm thinking of getting an 11" MBA to use instead of my ipad.
I think I would like it better in all ways except losing the 3G.
With my AT&T ipad, I can pay for my data every 30 days and just cancel it when I don't want it.
Being that I probably only have it active 1-2 months a year, is there anything out there to do this with a MBA?

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm not sure, but I think there might be ways of connecting the MBA to the internet through your iPhone?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Yes, tethering with your iPhone will probably be the easiest method though this will increase your monthly AT&T bill. A (less-than-legal) alternative would be to jailbreak your iPhone to enable tethering unofficially and just use it as needed, though AT&T has been cracking down on this and adding tethering plans for these users. I have an 11" MBA (just "upgraded" from an older 13" model) and tether (officially) with my iPhone when needed – it's very convenient.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
You haven't mentioned your needs. If you don't do anything heavy and RAM intensive, a much better option would be to replace the MBP. Replacing an iPad with an MBA AND having a MBP does not seem wise. But again, its just my opinion :)

dloreski

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Well, my thinking is this......
I'm finally ready to ditch my desktop PC.
I will keep my MBP and hook it to my big monitor to use as a desktop and just use the air when I travel and on the couch.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
Well, my thinking is this......
I'm finally ready to ditch my desktop PC.
I will keep my MBP and hook it to my big monitor to use as a desktop and just use the air when I travel and on the couch.

Just a suggestion, but a MB Air and a TBD is a very good combination. Not only does it give you unparalleled mobility but also desktop class performance (again, since you haven't mentioned what you do with your systems, its hard to say if the Air would suffice in terms of performance as a desktop replacement).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.