Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I've recently purchased a new battery off Amazon to replace the original battery that has served me since 2008 (late 2008 unibody) and although it seems authentic, I'd like to confirm this.

So I tried to look up the serial on https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do?newid=Y but nothing shows up. I tried to look up the serial number of the original battery, but nothing showed up either.

Could anyone tell me if there's a way to get this checked?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've recently purchased a new battery off Amazon to replace the original battery that has served me since 2008 (late 2008 unibody) and although it seems authentic, I'd like to confirm this.

So I tried to look up the serial on https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do?newid=Y but nothing shows up. I tried to look up the serial number of the original battery, but nothing showed up either.

I don't understand what you're trying to check. Are you trying to authenticate the battery as being original [shipped with MB] or authenticate that it's an OEM battery? And is the battery you're checking the one that came with it or the one you bought from Amazon.com?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

That link is for you to enter your Mac's serial number, not a battery serial number. I wouldn't trust or recommend any battery that didn't come from Apple. I know Amazon may sell legit Apple batteries, but I believe they also sell the cheap knockoff batteries that many have had problems with.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
That link is for you to enter your Mac's serial number, not a battery serial number. I wouldn't trust or recommend any battery that didn't come from Apple. I know Amazon may sell legit Apple batteries, but I believe they also sell the cheap knockoff batteries that many have had problems with.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

@ Sandbox:

The latter: to authenticate that it's an OEM battery.

I am aware of that and I did do my homework prior to placing an order. I just didn't feel like paying €130,- for a battery that I will use for less than a year (as I'm thinking of replacing mine this summer). I paid some €50 for a battery that looks original and had solely received positive feedback - even one person who had used it for over 200 cycles.

Besides, if you read the reviews of the replacement battery as offered on Apple's site, you'll see that plenty of people are not satisfied with it at all... So all in all I found it worth the risk... and so far so good, although I will need some time to make a well founded judgement.

I just was curious if I could check somehow the serial of this battery... should I call Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.