PDA

View Full Version : Apple Ram More Expensive?

The_Man
Jun 10, 2005, 12:55 AM
I am looking to buy an apple iBook, and when I go to the apple.com store, I see the upgrade to over a Gig of Ram costs $500, where as looking at RAM from ramseeker.com cost only $115

Is this just because buying from apple is just plain more expensive, or because its better quailty RAM?

Thanks.

homerjward
Jun 10, 2005, 01:09 AM
I am looking to buy an apple iBook, and when I go to the apple.com store, I see the upgrade to over a Gig of Ram costs $500, where as looking at RAM from ramseeker.com cost only $115

Is this just because buying from apple is just plain more expensive, or because its better quailty RAM?

Thanks.
it's because apple, ibm, dell, etc. especially ibm and apple charge outrageous prices for ram upgrades! 8gigs in a powermac costs over 2300 USD for ram that costs less than $1000 elsewhere...simply outrageous...get it from newegg, or crucial if you must be sure. crucial's is "certified mac compatible" or w/e

CanadaRAM
Jun 10, 2005, 01:25 AM
Apple just charges a lot. They buy their RAM from 4 or 5 suppliers just like many other sellers. There is nothing special about RAM from Apple.

On the other hand, your cheapest PC Generic RAM is at a fairly high risk of being incompatible with your Mac. The requirements of compatibility go well beyond the "PC2700 SODIMM 2.5V 200 pin" spec.

Your best plan is to choose RAM from reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility in writing with your model Mac.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Gordy
Jun 10, 2005, 05:03 AM
I used the standard ram from crucial in my powerbook (not the mac specific version they try to get you to buy) it was 90 instread of 120 and is exactly the same. :)

wdlove
Jun 10, 2005, 03:37 PM
Where to purchase RAM depends on your level of expertise, amount of confidence that you can successfully install the RAM yourself. I'm personally not that confident and prefer to have an Apple tech person do the installation.

FoxyKaye
Jun 10, 2005, 04:44 PM
Short answer: Yep.

Try Crucial - I've been getting OK deals from them, and they also guarantee compatibility, have a good warranty, etc.

camomac
Jun 10, 2005, 05:00 PM
Short answer: Yep.

Try Crucial - I've been getting OK deals from them, and they also guarantee compatibility, have a good warranty, etc.

Apple used crucial in my Rev.B powermac.

then i bought another 4gb (8x512) from crucial and have no problems since.

gamestriker
Jun 10, 2005, 06:04 PM
I just ordered this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/27SAMSO1GB/

It will be here on Tuesday. I'll let you know if it works out.