Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EliCsuf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
OC, CA
Hey All,
I work for a large school district and I'm in charge of training and rolling out over 100 iPads for teachers that work with special need students (we've rolled out over a thousand ipads district wide). Since the 100 iPads will be under our department, I need to buy cases for them. I have a $3,000 budge for the cases and screen protectors. Does anyone have any suggestions where to buy them from? It appears that Amazon may be my best option? Can anyone share their experience with purchasing non brand name cases from Amazon. Any recommendations and suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

EliCsuf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
OC, CA
Have you checked with your school district to see if they can get a deal from Apple ? Or are you looking for a specific type of case ?

Apple, Target and our local Fry's Electronic store won't give us discount (what a shame). If they are on sale, I'm only limited to one or two. I'm looking for a simple case that will protect the entire iPad. Thanks!

bjpad2

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Apple, Target and our local Fry's Electronic store won't give us discount (what a shame). If they are on sale, I'm only limited to one or two. I'm looking for a simple case that will protect the entire iPad. Thanks!

I did a lot of case research and most of the cases were available from ebay sellers and amazon. You probably don't want to deal with ebay sellers but I don't know about Amazon. Also there are manufacturers like CyberAcoustics (Maroo) that would probably make a deal with you for bulk purchases. Also I've seen that places like office depot have a big selection of cases on their websites. I'm not going to push different cases on you but since you mentioned protecting the entire ipad, CyberAcoustics/Maroo products are very good at that.

EliCsuf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
OC, CA
I did a lot of case research and most of the cases were available from ebay sellers and amazon. You probably don't want to deal with ebay sellers but I don't know about Amazon. Also there are manufacturers like CyberAcoustics (Maroo) that would probably make a deal with you for bulk purchases. Also I've seen that places like office depot have a big selection of cases on their websites. I'm not going to push different cases on you but since you mentioned protecting the entire ipad, CyberAcoustics/Maroo products are very good at that.

Ebay is totally out of the question. Amazon seems to have plenty of options. I'm loving that CyberAcouatics case. Thanks for the info.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Ebay is totally out of the question. Amazon seems to have plenty of options. I'm loving that CyberAcouatics case. Thanks for the info.

I love my CyberAcoustics case. Though, dunno if you can get 100 of them along with screen protectors within budget.

They have some folks that are on here regularly. There are posts from them on one of the long Maroo threads...

Here's the thread...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1138148/

Guy from CA and Maroo have quite a few posts on that thread. Maybe you can try to get something going with them.

Last edited:

bjpad2

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
I love my CyberAcoustics case. Though, dunno if you can get 100 of them along with screen protectors within budget.

If budget is an issue there is another possibility- I got a CyberAcoustics Ipad 1 case to use temporarily until my ipad 2 case came in. I didn't even know that the cases were somewhat interchangeable because I had never checked into it, but the ipad 1 case fit my ipad 2 and worked mostly the same as the ipad 2 case. The big exceptions are that there is no hole for the camera and no magnet for the on/off. BUT the ipad 1 case is about half the cost of the ipad 2 case.

EliCsuf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
OC, CA

They have some folks that are on here regularly. There are posts from them on one of the long Maroo threads...

Here's the thread...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1138148/

Guy from CA and Maroo have quite a few posts on that thread. Maybe you can try to get something going with them.

:eek: WOW!!! Those are some really nice cases. It doesn't hurt to ask. Screen protectors is a must. iPads will be student driven. It looks like Amazon is the place because of my budget. Thanks Sandman for your help.

Spencie

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
The Mothership
Not exactly sure if it qualifies as a case, but at Macworld last weekend I saw this booth that made these rubberballs that go around the corners of the ipad and basically protect it from drops. They are also pretty cheap and used in schools across the nation. http://iballz.info/

EliCsuf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
OC, CA
If budget is an issue there is another possibility- I got a CyberAcoustics Ipad 1 case to use temporarily until my ipad 2 case came in. I didn't even know that the cases were somewhat interchangeable because I had never checked into it, but the ipad 1 case fit my ipad 2 and worked mostly the same as the ipad 2 case. The big exceptions are that there is no hole for the camera and no magnet for the on/off. BUT the ipad 1 case is about half the cost of the ipad 2 case.

Thanks for your suggestion but it won't fly with the teachers. They will need access to the camara to take pictures, make social stories or when they are out in the community. I will never hear the end of it. Plus, some students may find it frustrating and toss it across the room.

Cybersteve

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for your suggestion but it won't fly with the teachers. They will need access to the camara to take pictures, make social stories or when they are out in the community. I will never hear the end of it. Plus, some students may find it frustrating and toss it across the room.

Just to clarify the difference between the iPad 1 case vs the iPad 2 case, we know the iPad 2 is slightly smaller than the iPad 1. It is true that the iPad 2 will fit into our iPad 1 case, but the fit is not as snug. The iPad 2 cases does come with the camera hole in the back for taking pictures and has the magnet for the sleep/awake function.

CyberSteve
w/ Cyber Acoustics

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Just to clarify the difference between the iPad 1 case vs the iPad 2 case, we know the iPad 2 is slightly smaller than the iPad 1. It is true that the iPad 2 will fit into our iPad 1 case, but the fit is not as snug. The iPad 2 cases does come with the camera hole in the back for taking pictures and has the magnet for the sleep/awake function.

CyberSteve
w/ Cyber Acoustics

Yeah LOVE the ipad 2 mount on the CA and Maroo cases!

But come on make a purple or pink case that isn't $99. :D

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Check back to Maroo as we get closer to the iPad 3 launch. We are releasing a purple plaid case.

Best,

Beau

For the 3 and the 2?

O My! That would be PERFECT!!! Wife would love that!!!

Though, hopefully she can wait. Her case now is horrible and barely keeps the thing in.

MarooBeau

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
For the 3 and the 2?

O My! That would be PERFECT!!! Wife would love that!!!

If the rumors are true, then the iPad 3 should fit fine in our current cases. I guess we'll officially see once Apple has their press conference. Whenever that's going to be. Haha.

- Beau

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
If the rumors are true, then the iPad 3 should fit fine in our current cases. I guess we'll officially see once Apple has their press conference. Whenever that's going to be. Haha.

- Beau

Ain't that the truth! Apple is a GREAT poker player.

I am actually thinking of breaking down and getting the Pink Polka Dot Seth model. It is V-Day after all. She can beat me all she wants... haha.

Actually, I showed her that one, with the price off the page, and she loved it. Problem solved, and you get more $$ ;)

Ordering now on your website. I see Amazon does a direct link to Maroo.com on those. Free shipping anyway.

O wow, those don't include the smart magnet system... dang...

Guess I can glue a magnet under the inside flap easy enough...

Last edited:

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Try contacting the company.

Most of your academic stores sell accessories but idk if you can get them at a bulk rate. Like Dell, Academicsuperstore.com etc

It's best to ask a company that makes cases. Maybe they will give you 10% off. Incase, Switcheasy, Xtrememac, Incipio Otterbox etc. Its a win win situation because its a tax right off for them.

Or you can try stores like Marshalls which carries major brands like Incase, Incipio and Belkin. They sell around $5-10 for iPad 2 cases. Also stores like $5 Below carry cases too.

MarooBeau

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Ain't that the truth! Apple is a GREAT poker player.

I am actually thinking of breaking down and getting the Pink Polka Dot Seth model. It is V-Day after all. She can beat me all she wants... haha.

Actually, I showed her that one, with the price off the page, and she loved it. Problem solved, and you get more $$ ;)

Ordering now on your website. I see Amazon does a direct link to Maroo.com on those. Free shipping anyway.

O wow, those don't include the smart magnet system... dang...

Guess I can glue a magnet under the inside flap easy enough...

Yeah, the no smart magnet was a design decision of Seth Aaron.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Yeah, the no smart magnet was a design decision of Seth Aaron.

Boo Seth Aaron!!!

Though should be easy to put a magnet in the pocket area right? It goes in the middle correct? Haven't really liked at my Cyber Acoustics IC-1002BK

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Yet another vote for amazon. There price app is great, I go to best buy and scan the barcodes with my iPhone and save 20-50% right there ordering from the app.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
The magnet is in the top right of the iPad.

Thanks, and I meant looked not liked. Just read that. I Love my case, just haven't "looked" at the magnet.

I did last night... and it seems to actually be about a 1/4 of the way down on the right side. Tested with a lil magnet from the kitchen. Should be a piece of cake.

I think I can feel the magnet in the case too. It is very thin so shouldn't take much.

By the way Polka case is enroute. VERY Fast shipping! Great Customer Service Maroo/CA!

Also, you should mention the Valentine day code ;) 14% was nice...

MarooBeau

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Thanks, and I meant looked not liked. Just read that. I Love my case, just haven't "looked" at the magnet.

I did last night... and it seems to actually be about a 1/4 of the way down on the right side. Tested with a lil magnet from the kitchen. Should be a piece of cake.

I think I can feel the magnet in the case too. It is very thin so shouldn't take much.

By the way Polka case is enroute. VERY Fast shipping! Great Customer Service Maroo/CA!

Also, you should mention the Valentine day code ;) 14% was nice...

I can't directly advertise here, as I'll get banned. But I'm glad you're happy with our service. :)

- Beau

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.