Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doostin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
The other night my Mac Pro 1,1 froze watching Netflix. I couldn't kill anything, had to hard shut down.

When starting back up, everything was working like normal, chime, gray screen, apple, progress wheel, blue screen for a couple seconds, and bang back to a grey screen where, for some reason, the mouse still works but nothing else ever happens. Left it for an entire night the first night, when I woke up the next day still like that.

Order of events to fix problem:

1. Reset PRAM. Reset Logic Board.
2. Enter AHT, won't enter goes to same grey screen mouse works but nothing else.
3. Enter Safe Boot, enters safe boot fine.
4. Boot from Snow Leopard disc, also goes to same grey screen where mouse still works.
5. Completely wipe and reinstall Snow Leopard using my MBP with the MP in target disc mode. Reboot after it is finished installing and goes through same process as before and ends up at the same grey screen where the mouse still works.

It still boots fine into safe mode for whatever reason, but I don't want to run in safe mode.

Only reason I am wondering if it is the video card is because a couple years ago (at the end of my applecare thankfully) I was having problems somewhat similar to this and they replaced my video card and everything was working great again. I believe the card is an Nvidia, the card that doesn't have a fan.

I looked at the graphic card and the capacitors seemed fine, they didn't look bloated or anything, but the "genius" at apple tried to show it to me last time and I couldn't tell then either.

Is there anything I can do in safe mode to diagnose this further. I'd gladly buy the radeon 5770 if I knew it would fix it, but I'd like to be sure before I sink $250 only to find out the logic board is dead.

Thanks for the help!

doostin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm new to this forum, so if more information is needed, please let me know.

TIA!

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
  • try boot windows
  • test ram with memtest
  • try another gpu slot
  • try replace logic board battery
  • check system reports in safe boot to determine what is ****ing up during normal boot
  • get another gpu, PC gpu even, and try boot windows
  • try the 7300gt in another computer (PC can run it)
  • check if your logic board error leds are glowing
  • boot verbose to see what's happening

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If it safe boots, it is probably the card again, unless you have buggered the system software somehow.

As Cindori suggested, have a read of the logs, or boot verbose and see what is being loaded when it crashes.

If you are in LA, you can bring it by & I can give you the answer in 5 minutes.

The sad thing about the 7300GT is that the 2 caps that go out on it MAY have saved Apple/Foxconn 30-50 cents or so. You can get 1500/6.3V tantalum ones that will survive a Nuclear Holocaust for $1 each RETAIL, so the "savings" here might have been to keep selling $30 cards for $800 well into the future.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
sounds like an opportunity to upgrade to me. There are a lot nicer boards that are not that expensive these days. I don't know how good you are at reading verbose etc, but it seems relatively easy to just assume its the board (sounds likely), buy a better one for less money, and see if that fixes your problem. If not, return the board, if yes.... congratulations on your new board!

doostin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I went ahead and ordered the 5770, it arrived today and I'm back up and running!

Also, it might just be that it's been a while now since I've used this computer, but it seems faster then it was before.

Thanks again!

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I went ahead and ordered the 5770, it arrived today and I'm back up and running!

Also, it might just be that it's been a while now since I've used this computer, but it seems faster then it was before.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear you got it solved!, How well is the 5770 running for you? Any reason why you didn't get the 5870?

doostin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
I didn't get the 5870 for a couple reasons. First is the price, out of my price range to fix a 2006 Mac Pro, and two, from what I understand the 5870 is wasted on a Mac Pro 1,1 in that it can't reach it's full potential. Something about being limited by the processor.

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
I didn't get the 5870 for a couple reasons. First is the price, out of my price range to fix a 2006 Mac Pro, and two, from what I understand the 5870 is wasted on a Mac Pro 1,1 in that it can't reach it's full potential. Something about being limited by the processor.

Ok, thank you. How is the 5770? I was thinking about getting one if/when my 8800GT dies.

JI7

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
Glad I found this thread even though it's 10 months on from when you posted it. Yesterday I was watching Netflix when this same thing happened. I can only boot in safe mode but even then I have this crazy purplish/pink pattern of lines all over the screen. I too was suspecting the graphics card. Personally I think Mac should have to shove every one of these Nvidia GeForce 7300s they put in these Mac Pro 1.1s up their asses. I have checked my disk using disk utility and the permissions. The disk is OK and I repaired permissions so hopefully all I have to do is replace the graphics card. I haven't gone to the lengths of wiping the startup disk and reinstalling yet - do you think this is a necessary step or shall I wait until the new card is in place? Maybe no one is listening - it is a 10 month old thread after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.