Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Hey guys,
Just looking for some advice.

Just bought a Crucial M4 128GB SSD for my 2009 mbp.

I want to install this where the HD is and fit the HD where the superdrive currently is.

I use my mbp for Music production and would like to install my OS and Applications including Logic Studio etc on the SSD and use the 500GB HD and all my files, documents and samples etc.

Now, what is the best way to clone just the OS and Apps from my HD?

I don't really want to mess about entering all my serial numbers again, so can this be done?

I have a 1TB external back up drive as well.

Also, can you recommend a decent optibay for a good price in the UK.

Thanks.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
How do i split the current 500gb?

I want to clone the Os and apps to the M4 128gb... And clone all my other stuff to the 500gb hd

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
I have a similar setup, a M4 128 in the hd spot and a hd in the superdrive spot. Here is what I did, and I realize it doesn't answer all of your questions

1) deactivate any software on the hd that allows you to do so, such as adobe cs or ableton. That way, you'll be able to activate on the ssd when it is installed.
2) I have used both ccc and time machine. I just use time machine from now on, both work fine, I find time machine is a little easier.
3) if you want to install bootcamp, do it after ssd install but before replacing the superdrive with the hd. In Lion, on my mbp, I cannot boot from external cd so I can't install bootcamp after the fact. Also, before replacing the superdrive, update the M4 firmware to its latest since it requires booting from dvd to do so, and my on mbp I can't boot from external dvd to install the firmware update (so I am stuck on an earlier firmware until I want to go through the pain of putting in the superdrive for the purposes of installing firmware updates and boot camp).
4) once the time machine transfer is done, I go to system preferences, users, and change the location of my Home folder from the ssd to the hd. Then, drag and drop everything that was in the ssd home folder to the hd home folder (such as documents, music, etc.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.