Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ConnorTurnbull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm currently weighing up my options to move from an 11" Air and Mini setup to a single MacBook.

I want a 13-incher and am weighing up the Air vs the Pro. I'm strongly attracted to the Air because of the higher-res screen, which is quite a big thing for me. I think i'll just be able to get past the storage constraint issue too.

I'll be chiefly doing the basic stuff like web browsing, document editing etc. However, I will need to do some light creative work in Photoshop, Final Cut/iMovie and perhaps some very basic After Effects stuff too. Has anyone with experience of an i5 13" Air tried these apps? Do they run at an acceptable speed?

fluffymuha

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
I use pretty much most of the Adobe package, and I find that all of the programs run very well. The start-up time is even faster than all of the professional setups we have in school (i go to college for animation). Don't worry about iMovie, etc. If Premiere runs well, then most editing programs will run well ;)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
For the work you've outlined, I would suggest the MBA as a great solution. I bought a 2011 13" MBA for my wife to use for both home and work, it's a terrific model.

So far for the amount of time it's been in use, there's a lot of hours on it and it's fast, cool, and very stable. Just like my MBP with it's SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.