Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OnTheAn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
So i was trying to bootcamp, when i clicked the button "partition", it loaded for a while and then this message came up:
Boot_Camp_Assistant.jpg.jpg
:mad:
well i searched the error up on google, and found that re-installing mac os x will fix this problem, so i've done that it took like a hour, then i tried it again, and no succes :eek:, if anyone could help it would be very appreciated :)

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I know some people have had success with this problem by booting from their OS X disc and partition their hard drive using Disk Utility. I suppose you could give that a go.

Or, if you're forced to reinstalled OS X again, fire up Disk Utility from the installation disc, format the drive, partition it how you want it to be and then installed OS X.

OnTheAn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I know some people have had success with this problem by booting from their OS X disc and partition their hard drive using Disk Utility. I suppose you could give that a go.

Or, if you're forced to reinstalled OS X again, fire up Disk Utility from the installation disc, format the drive, partition it how you want it to be and then installed OS X.

so.. you mean removing all my files and reinstall os x like it was when i bought it?, i don't really wanna loose my files, and don't got an external hard drive

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Well, my first suggestion allows you to partition the drive while leaving everything intact.

When you said you reinstalled OS X, did you not do a clean install?

OnTheAn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Well, my first suggestion allows you to partition the drive while leaving everything intact.

When you said you reinstalled OS X, did you not do a clean install?

no, it just repaired everything, none of my files got lost.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Yeah, when the error message asks you to reinstalled OS X, it means to clean everything off and start from a fresh install.

OnTheAn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Yeah, when the error message asks you to reinstalled OS X, it means to clean everything off and start from a fresh install.

oh... is there a way i can save my files somewhere while doing this or do i need an external hard drive

siritalks

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I got the same error last week when trying to install Windows 7 to Bootcamp, and I phoned Applecare to help out.

They talked me through the process of (instead of re-installing OS X), launching Lion in safe mode (I believe it was cmd R when starting up), going to Disk Utility, and Repairing the Hard Drive. That worked for me.

If you have Applecare I'd advise you phone them to talk you through the process rather than risking getting potentially bad advice online (no offence to anyone here, but you could void any warranties by trying fixes yourself).

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
If you have Applecare I'd advise you phone them to talk you through the process rather than risking getting potentially bad advice online (no offence to anyone here, but you could void any warranties by trying fixes yourself).

None taken :)

No one at my university takes my advice anyway because they see me as a dirty Windows user :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.