PDA

View Full Version : What Apple has done to me!

kaisera
Jan 11, 2002, 01:16 AM
Hey All,

It's 2am and I felt compelled to share something with my fellow MacHeads or whatever the term is.

Four months ago if you asked me what MWSF was, I would have though it was the initials to a member of the royal family. My whole life I spent with PCs, back to the earliest days of DOS. My only experience with Apple came in grade school when I used to write stories and play Oregon Trailer on an Apple IIe as well as making greeting cards (in dot matrix color!) on some color apple I didn't know the model of.

So now I am in college and began to be introduced to the Mac once again with such things as Final Cut Pro and stable OS. Over the summer I had planned on buying a 733mhz G4 for $3499 (top until MWNY). I was convinced by outside sources to buy yet another PC instead, so I built one and figured I'd get some Firewire add package. It cost me about $1200 without the editing stuff.

Come October, I decide I need a laptop. So I go out and get a Sony Vaio. Its nice, a 1ghz Processor, 256mg ram, etc. But the damn thing weights 8 lbs and I am getting maybe an hour from the battery. Oddly the same week I bought it, Apple revised the iBook to the 600mhz. So I returned the Sony to Best Buy, complaining of bad battery. I didn't know what to do, and finally decided, on a friends recommendation, to get the ibook. Well I love this damn thing. Its small, does wireless like a gem and is just fun to use.

But the issue is that since I have had it, I have become obsessed with Macs. I love OS X. Within 3 weeks, I plotted ways to come up with money for a G4 to edit with. Suddenly I was working again and had the money. I was anticipating the Keynote like it was a major milestone in the history of my life. Its just a computer I kept trying to tell myself.

Now its over. The new imac is out and I want one. The cheesy little video they made, I'm a sucker for it. Keep watching it. But I need a Tower. Now I plot ways to buy the iMac to tide me over until the new towers come or a price drop on the current ones.

So I ask, how can I get rid of this obsession? Its like drugs and I suppose thats not good.

I've fallen prey to Apple marketing and cool technology. The iPod was announced, I was in NYC the day it came out to get it. Glad I did, its great.

PLEASE HELP!!

P.s. Apollo G4s in a few weeks? I hope so.... Can't hold out on the iMac much longer............

CHess
Jan 11, 2002, 02:00 AM
kaisera, you and I and I'm sure many others here are the exact kind of people that makes Apple the great company that it is. Look at that dancing iMac clip. They knew that you and I would be mesmerized by it and, in turn, we would fall in love with the new iMac. I usually avoid this term when referring to computers, but... it's soooo cute! And as a guy, that's not easy to say :) Apple knows how to reach down inside us and make us feel good about a product. Many of my windows friends don't understand that feeling and I wish I could take some of it and stick it inside their bellies, so they could get at least a hint of how much I am endeared by this... object. Apple seems to do a good job of infusing their products with personality. That's something that I can't really say about any other company or products, with the exception of the automotive industry.

Anyway, I'm afraid there is no hope for you. You are stuck! You are just going to have to find someway to have a G4 tower AND a new iMac. I'm sorry, but that's all there is too it. How else can you possibly be happy??? :confused:

Don't worry, I'm stuck too. I have a Titanium Powerbook and a 9 month old iMac and now I have to figure out how I'm going to get my hands on the new iMac, even though I THOUGHT my next computer would have to be a tower.

Falleron
Jan 11, 2002, 04:08 AM
I am with you guys. I really like the imac BUT until the towers come out I cant make an informed decision, does not matter anyway because I have to wait for the combo imac anyway! Hopefully, the towers will be out by end of febuary?

agreenster
Jan 11, 2002, 08:16 AM
Kaisera-

If I were you, I'd wait just a little longer. Ive been in your shoes, DYING to get a tower. I got the 400mHz G4 right when it came out, which was early in the life of the G4. Within 2 months, the dual 500's came out.

Now that the G4 is mature, the next revision will probably be the last one, but the best one. It will be the Rev 2. Quicksilver, and it will probably be very, very good. Then the G5's will hopefully debut.

Power users need to stay loyal to the tower. -sorry iMac fans. I love the iMac too, but you gotta support the professional models as well.

eyelikeart
Jan 11, 2002, 11:01 AM
I agree....hold out just a little longer. We're getting to the stage where it won't be too much longer till we see something big happen to the towers we have right now. The iMac moving to G4 speeds, to me, indicates there is going to be a major speed bump for the towers.

I was in your shoes a few months before the PowerBook G4 was announced. I was itching to get a PowerBook bad but knew there was MacWorld coming up so I decided to wait....and I'm glad I did! :D

kaisera
Jan 11, 2002, 11:18 AM
Thanks all for the words of wisdom. Maybe we should all knock off a bank together to pay for this stuff and then when they catch us, we have someone to blame. Good idea? Bad idea??

Well, I hope more people post about their need to buy multiple systems. There is comfort in numbers :).

kaisera

Catfish_Man
Jan 11, 2002, 11:34 AM
is an original beige G3 (which replaced a Quadra 605), and it's giong to stay until it can't run the OS anymore. The longer I keep it, the better it's replacement will be. Upgrading from a 25mhz 68030 to a 233mhz PPC 750 was asn amazing improvement, some of my games went so much faster they literally made me slightly dizzy.

Quark
Jan 11, 2002, 11:57 AM
Almost the same thing happened to me. I Just bought the new 800Mhz iMac, 512MB memory, Airport Card & Base station, iPod, H/K Sub woofer... I couldn't stop.

Now I am eager for all this to arrive and I keep checking the the Tracking of the partial shipments. Everything shipped except the actual iMac. Nothing has arrived yet.

I am hooked and can't get out. Not sure if I want to get out. I have 3 Wintel PCs at home networked together and I work in the Wintel world as a Sr. Database Developer.

I am getting tired of the M$ world and this is a wonderful out. I think there are alot more out there that feel the same.

I was just fortunate enough to afford this stuff.

I didn't get hooked in college, I got hooked watching the first demonstration of OS X by Jobs. It's was about time!!

Take care ALL!

rastalin94
Jan 11, 2002, 12:30 PM
Between going to the Apple store over Christmas and seeing the new iMac something changed in me. I can never look at a PC the same way again. My next computer will be a Mac. I have never loaded up a PC web page and looked at a computer over and over going, Someday...Someday you will be mine.

Now when I look at Windows boxes I think of the old mainframes, when I look at Macs I see magical boxes of the future.

I try talking to my PC friends and they just do not get it, nor do they get any either :)

Digidesign
Jan 11, 2002, 03:21 PM
you guys crack me up... in many ways, mac users share similar experiences!

I too am waiting for the new towers. One thing good about this wait, is that it may offer some of us the opportunity to save up to get a higher model. I was planning on just getting the baseline model of the new revisions, but hopefully by mid-feb or march, I'll have enough for the high-end system :) We'll see!

counting my pennies and the days...

evildead
Jan 11, 2002, 03:27 PM
I have had the Apple bug ever since I had my First Mac... the Mac+

Durandal7
Jan 11, 2002, 04:30 PM
Apple got me early. A Performa was my first GUI computer (before I had C64s).

Durandal7
Jan 11, 2002, 04:50 PM
Apple got me early. A Performa was my first GUI computer (before I had C64s).

Manta
Jan 11, 2002, 05:13 PM
Mmmm....used to be a PC goon as well. Ended up having to by an old Beige G3 mac for school with OS 8.6. Damn well fell in love with it. Now Im also dreaming of the day when I can afford a tower and a powerbook and a iMac and a ipod and a.......

eyelikeart
Jan 11, 2002, 05:19 PM
my first Mac was a Motorola Starmax clone... 160 Mhz 603 PowerPC...

then I upgraded it to a Crescendo 300 Mhz processor card.....talk about difference!

then I went from there to my TiBook....500 Mhz G4.....what a world of difference it is!!

I have absolutely no need to get a desktop Mac at this point....I have one at work and the Book is for personal use....but I would like to get my hands on a new iMac or maybe even splurge when the next generation towers arrive!

evildead
Jan 11, 2002, 07:10 PM
I guess we are all talking Mac History... so here is mine:

Started with a Mac+
-Dad got me started

Next was a Mac IIvx, 66Mhz, 250MB HD
-got it as a hand me down from Dad

Then on to a 233 Baige G3
- Dad's Box.. but I used more

First Apple Buy as the rev-A iMac
- Later upgraded it to a 466Mhz and 196MB RAM.

My current Mac is a 867Mhz G4 1.2 GB RAM

Started young... and will probably die a MacHead.

voicegy
Jan 11, 2002, 07:37 PM
So, Kaisera, you've fallen under the Apple spell, eh? : )

(I've posted this elsewhere on the board days ago, but kaisera's post compelled me to repeat myself...forgive!)

There are so few companies where we get this worked up over their products.

Certainly no other COMPUTER company, that's for sure. (some car companies, of course!)

There is ONE other company that I have an equal passion for and would, if they had such things, discuss rumors on various sites and look forward to keynotespeeches made by their CEO...
and that's Bang & Olufsen.

You see, all of us here in these forums GET IT. We GET how our dreams have been realized by the combination of art and science. When combined, the effect is spellbinding, giving us both the satisfaction of thinking to ourselves "Yes, they did it right," plus the extra added thrill of "Wow...I didn't think of that!"

We're not simply geeks who dig computers and gadgets. Apple fans GET the beauty of the machines, the user-friendly-ness of the devices that they put out, the elegance, the simplicity, the user empowerment, the, dare I say, "soul" of the machines that Apple so lovingly puts in. I'm in the education business (San Diego Unified) and when I see the difference in how my "clients" refer to and treat their Macs compared to PeeCee owners, well, it's more of a "relationship" they have with them than just a machine to use.

I think you can all relate. And, to me, the only other company (that took something like home entertainment...stereos and tv's and such) and applied the same ease-of-use, artistic flair and "soul" that Apple takes with their computers, is Bang & Olufsen, hands down.

Advanced technology, in the end, should serve the user in the easiest, most elegant and ergonomic way possible. Wrap it up in packages that please the eye and "want" to be touched, and you end up with devices that will always attract a certain percentage of the planet.

The percentage, represented here on these forums, that GET it. And now you, Kaisera, get to experience that giddy rush as well. Bless your heart. : ) And the companies like Apple that give us such, well, joy.

Apple computer user/owner since the Apple IIc...

Respectfully,
Scott

kaisera
Jan 11, 2002, 07:46 PM
Talk about the best response to my original post :). Voicegy really said it right.

I'm just so tempted to buy that iMac, but I know i need to wait for the tower. Oh its rough :). I just hope I don't get driven to knocking off a bank (doubt it) :).

Anyone else holding out on the iMac for the Tower? Anyone have any sources with info on price cuts on the current Quicksilver line or something new?

HELP!!! :)

kaisera

b8rtm8nn
Jan 11, 2002, 07:54 PM
I started on an Apple IIc, used to take the tour of spreadsheets over and over. I used Macs along with command prompt systems(my TI-99, VMS, UNIX) on and off through college. My fourth year, the Macs in the lab started having some program called At Ease on them, and I couldn't play around with them like I used too. So the first machine that I actually bought was a PC. I thought it was cool, better than the Mac, which was sliding downhill fast. A few years later, I'm supporting the PC world and I end up hating going home to use my PC, and Macs still are a little dopey - so I discover BeOS! Woo-hoo! I'm hooked on the beauty and simplicity of it. Alas, Be is run by idiots when it comes to business, and when I think all is lost, Jobs ppreviews OSX.

Again, I'm hooked! I buy an iMac a year before OSX arrives just so I can be read for OSX and it was well worth it. During that year, I get addicted to Mac hardware and the company in general. I'm watching the trade shows in the little two inch window, I have work buy me an iBook. I convince my co-workers to buy iBooks. I can't stop! I mock Windows users. I pity Linux users. I like other Unix users - they just have no style.

Now if I have a bad day at work, I get some cocoa-coffee and stare at my dock or check out Mac forums to relax (well, after hanging with my wife, Mac isn't THAT good). All is right in the world, and G5s will arrive soon...

JoeG4
Jan 11, 2002, 09:25 PM
Since age 7 I've been a PC freak.. everything I used was a PC anyway, and my dad was all about PC.. didn't like macs.

For a while, I got used computers, junk, hand me downs, stuff to fix up, upgrade, and enjoy, then we got a set of new machines, some great stuff, much fun to have, and in my oppinion, the clumsy OS 8 didn't compare!! I kept persuading my friend to get a pc and junk his 7200.

It's been 8 years for me, and through that I consider much fun, but I learned most of what I know from what I needed to know.. having to fix the damned things every other week!

Last year, my friend dumped his 7200 and got an emachine, which he regrets to this day. It was my fault, of course, and I've already had to fix it twice!

After meeting a real mac freak, who got a cube, I was catching a really bad case of the Apple Fever, I kept staring at pictures of G4's, and cinema screens, and those toilet seat ibooks... it was all waay too cool, and as I saw, just too tempting, so I had it in the back of my head.

Until recently, all my machines started breaking down, my PC's died, the laptops were way to slow, and my only working machine was a 75mhz laptop... for 3 months I had to deal with it. :(

Then we finally got the chance, one night I was doin computer shopping, spied on many PC's, a compaq I was tempted to get, and went off to a compusa, ran into a stand with a G4 on it, turned around, and met the 'woman of my dreams'.. or should I say, computer of my dreams...

There it was.. a cinema display, with a G4 dual 800 hooked up, running videos, a really cool machine, I spent a few minutes admiring and toying with it.. and came back the next day to get one.

Aw yes, and since then I've been obsessed with apple design.. it's unique, it's beautiful, and yet it's so usable!!!

And the imac came out, I got horror when I heard of the G5 rumors, and thought again and again about parting with my big proud friend for another faster and bigger guy, but why?

Yes, I love the iMac, and am pleased to say my brother's getting one.. great machines they are.. my mom, on the other hand, still is stuck with her choice of a cinema display, and whatever else can go with that :)

Proud to be in a family of mac nerds here :)

Falleron
Jan 12, 2002, 09:06 AM
my first mac was a mac classic!

Six
Jan 12, 2002, 11:52 AM
Ahh... the fond memories of my mac using.

I remember it like it was just yesterday.

I believe I was 4 years old when I started using my mom's AppleII (at the school she teaches at,) playing "Super Bunny" Anyone remember that game? But I could only use it during the summer, because the rest of the year, it was at her school.

In 3rd grade, we finally got our own computer, an LCII with 80 whole megabites of Hard disk! woo!

A few years later, we bought a PMac 7200/90 with a whopping 500 megs of hard drive. We also got the internet, wow, how far i've come..

We were hooked.. Mom and dad got me an iMac rev B for Christmas in 8th grade.

A year later, my sister bought a G3 tower 400MHZ a few months before she moved to college.

A few months later, that spoiled brat bought a G3 400mhz powerbook. ;)

Sadly, tragedy occured... I was swayed by the word "Gigahertz" and fell sucker to the weekly best buy ads of HPs and Compaq. I looked at Apple, and could not last another day there. (It was an experimental time) Then, I decided to give the mac one last shot upon encouragement from my father, and I reluctantly watched a streaming broadcast of the expo, where Jobs introduced the Superdrive, and a few other cool things.) At that moment, I was saved. I was back in the light. I realized macs were the best computers ever made. A combination of that, and my friend's brand new windoze units having a billion problems made my faith in Apple stronger than ever.

Here I am now. I'm almost 17, and my family needs a new computer to replace the iMac (because my sister took the tower and her pbook with her to college.) I am slowly convincing my parents to buy a new iMac to tide me over until college, when i'll get a new computer for myself. G5 tower, baby!

ipiloot
Jan 12, 2002, 01:58 PM
I would be all in tears reading this thread.

This is really touching. Apple has to point to this thread from the www.apple.com

kaneda
Jan 12, 2002, 03:25 PM
Man, you guys are so lucky to have money to buy new computer everytime they release a update. I am itching but I don't have money to spend!! :O)

The next high end model! oohhh yeaaaahhh!!! G5 BABY!

Tommy!
Jan 12, 2002, 04:59 PM
thanks to sears i've had many macs for six months and taken them back! heres my apple history:

original mac
mac plus
performa 638 CDV
imac rev. c lime
ibook blueberry (returned to sears after 2 months)
imac DV lime (returned to sears after 2 months, full refund)
imac DVSE graphite (returned to sears after 6 months, full refund)
imac DVSE snow (bought from apple, sold to friend)
too bad seas doesnt sell macs anymore :( im waiting till march for the imac with the 24Xcdrw or until one pops up on ebay
my lime is a speed demon!

mmcneil
Jan 13, 2002, 01:25 PM
My goodness, I am overwhelmed by the stories - so much so I must add mine

First computer - HP 9000
First Apple clone - Franklin with 128 KB of RAM and DUAL floppies
Three years in PC land where I became convinced Mac was silly
Introduced to Mac - 1986 and never looked back.
1989 a souped up SE, had to have those extra megahertz :)
1990 LC-II
1991 - This is the key, my daughter and absolute techno-phobe was on her way to college - all advisers (wife and younger daughter) said get her a word processor. Found a Powerbook 100, she fell in love - married a Machead a they are all happy.
1997 - youngest daughter fell to the darkside, great wailing and tears.
1998 - oldest daughter got a Rev B iMac
1999 - wife got a Rev C iMac
2002 - youngest daughter's husband brings them back to the light, he just ordered the 800Mhz iMac. Joy has returned to the family.

In the meantime, I have used macs exclusively as my personal, work computer since 1986. My company used to be one of the largest mac users in the country, until we got an IT department. Now the faithful are down to about 15%, but it includes all of the senior people so we have excellent support.

I use all those other OS's, no choice there, and I am thrilled to have Mac & Unix all wrapped in one, now I just "feel the need for speed" :). One of the remarkable things about OS X, I can run 3 OSs simultaneously and pretty much seamlessly - I love it!!!

Waiting for my 667 TiBook

IndyGopher
Jan 13, 2002, 02:19 PM
When I first started working at a place that sold and serviced both Macs and PC's, I was solidly in the PC camp. I had used a Mac a few times, since I had a friend who was very much into them. I thought he was nuts, but we try to overlook those sorts of eccentricities among our friends.

Then I got to thinking about my customers at work who bring in their computers to be worked on, or to sell their old ones. The PC people bring in machines that are missing slot covers, missing drive bay covers, have broken ports and missing screws. The Mac people bring in machines that look like they have been taken to some sort of Computer Groomer on a weekly basis. The reasoning for this, I first assumed, was that the people who use PC's use them as tools, and tools get beat up a little, while the Mac people buy them as status symbols and don't use them for real work. I was, of course, wrong.

One of the people I worked with was an absolute Apple freak. Just way too into them to be considered healthy or normal. He would refer to them by their pre-release codenames, knew all the specs for them by heart, and would just preach about their superiority to anyone who would listen. On his insistance, I bought a 7200/90 that we had for sale, and a Radius 15 pivot monitor.

Well.. that was pretty much the end of my taunting him. Since then, I have owned more Macs than I care to think about. LC's, Classics, a Color Classic that still sits proudly on my network, an 8500, 9500, 9600, Genesis MP clone, PB190, PB 540C, PB 3400C, original G3 PB, Wallstreet that I upgraded to 500MHz, Pismo 500, Titanium 500, B&W G3 tower, G4 500DP tower, a couple of iMacs, and my current Quicksilver 867 with 17" LCD Studio Display. With work being a place to sell them, I have the benefit of being able to buy machines and sell them for 90% of what I paid for them every time something new comes out. It's quite a perk.

Needless to say, when the former MacHead at work moved on, I became the resident MacZealot. I can honestly say that owning Macs has changed my life. Not in a big way, but I feel a positive way. I suspect that I am more willing to look at the other side of an argument or situation now than I was before.. that probably says something bad about me, more than it says anything good about the Mac, but that's how it is.

So now I am one of those creepy Mac people who still has the box the computer came in, and all the manuals, and I will sell it that way when it comes time to get the next one.

scar_ace
Jan 13, 2002, 03:49 PM
I bought my iBook rev A in, december 1998 was it? Three years later I'm proud to say im still using it and pushing it to it's limit. I must admit the 3GB Hard Disk is hurting but at least I'm still running OSs 9.2.2-10.1.2 and experiencing the mac ethos. With one USB port and no firewire, I've never experienced the advantage of hot swapping so much.

My three years with this iBook as a default computer has been far too long for my liking, but I haven't the money for a new one. This is just a plea to all you people with your computer configs as your signature to take into consideration the people less fortunate than yourselves.

Living in a british society and education system where windows is the prefered OS and macs are cast out, I find it amazing how much I've learnt about macs and computers in general, by using the internet only.

I will probably end up getting a new iMac, finding myself in the same position in another three years.

P.S: This was just my thoughts and tribulations, nothing special. Thanks for listening. And great thread guys.;)

kaisera
Jan 13, 2002, 04:43 PM
I guess I really got people going deep down in their Mac heart of hearts.

Well yesterday I went to the Tice's Corner Apple Store (New Jersey), I live on Long Island so it was about an hour drive. Wow, what an incredible store. All I bought was an AV cable for my ibook, but I got to see the new iMac. My desire now to have both that and the tower is insane. scar_ace, i feel your pain about the money :).

Why can't apple have 36 month loans with no interest?? IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?? :)

CHess
Jan 13, 2002, 04:47 PM
Well, I must say that I am quite impressed by the Mac histories of many of the people here. I'm don't have quite the variety, but here is mine anyway, because this thread really makes me want to share.

Apple II (no, not even a II+. No disk drive available yet, came with 16k RAM) while in high school, I convinced my dad we really needed one. We looked at Commodore Pets and TRS-80s, but you could tell the Apple II was the serious home computer.

Apple IIe That was the first one I bought. Got it on credit after college.

Apple IIgs I think the Mac was out by now, but it was, you know, the rival system. I didn't like them :mad: By the way, all the PC heads (proto IT types) laughed about the need for a color monitor or graphics. I now laugh when I think of them.

Mac SE Okay, I broke out into the "professional" computing world. I used this at work amidst PC users for a while. Occasionally, one of the IBM loving types (no not Windows), would comment that they predicted Apple would be gone within 4-5 years (That was back in the late 80's).

Mac IISI I loved this computer. It was fast, had a color display. Even had an expansion slot and it looked good. This was my 68030 machine, which I added a Math co-processor to. I was stylin'.

Quadra/Performa 630 Got a deal on this faster, more expandable computer. Better video performace. I could even add a TV/Radio tuner if I wanted. Even had a built-in CD-ROM. Oooo, this was cool! Years after the earlier Apple downfall prediction, had a Wintel loving professor who predicated Apple would be gone in 5 years. That was in the mid 90's.

Performa 6360 Was actually looking at a deal where I'd swap out the motherboard from my 630, but ended up keeping both. Wow, I have a PowerPC chip, built-in 28.8 modem, plus expandability.

Powerbook 5300c Got this one refurbished and it was great being portable. Didn't mind the small display as I could use this thing anyway.

iMac 333 Back in school and discovered I could extend my student loan to allow me to purchase a computer. I went to go pick up my 266mhz model, but the 333s were just announced, so I got that instead (tangerine).

iMac DV SE Blue Dalmatian My older sister conspired with my family to buy me one for my birthday. I love this computer and it is what I am using right now. Running OS X, it hosts my website and soon maybe my e-mail services.

Titanium Powerbook. Last fall, I realized that my Powerbook 5300c was not cutting it anymore. I was using it at work and it was just too slow and too limited. I got the TiBook and turned some heads in my Wintel office. This is a hot machine, even at 400mhz.

The future??? I don't have the money as I'm paying off my TiBook now, but man, I've gotta figure out a way to get the new iMac! :D

arn
Jan 13, 2002, 06:02 PM
Well, I don't have as dramatic a story as many - but...

When I was 11-12yrs old (1985-6), I had an Apple //c. I enjoyed it... learned a lot about computers at the time... learning basic etc.... and got a 1200 baud modem Christmas of 1986... and from that point on addicted to bbs's/email etc...

Moved up to an Apple//gs, thanks to my parents... and enjoyed this machine immensely. Learned 65816 assembly language, and wrote some small little apps. Anyhow, eventually, I went to college (1992). At this time, Apple had basically called it quits to the Apple II line - and I was not happy about Apple and specifically Steve Jobs at that time. How could they kill their "cash cow"...

anyhow... when it was time to get a new computer for College (1992)... I decided on a Mac IIsi from Apple and System 7.0. Really, there was no other option--- was I going to get a PC with Windows 3.1? What's ridiculous is that at the time there were people actually arguing that DOS CLI and Win 3.1 was the better way to go... I bet those people are using Windows XP right now and loving it. And - if you took those same people back to 1992... and told them they'd have to pick a system to work on... I bet most of them would have to choose System 7.0

Anyhow... that Mac IIsi lasted 3 years or so - the summer before senior year, Apple introduced the PowerMac 7500/8500/9500 series... got a 7500, upgraded to a G3 after some time...

Then, moved to a PowerMac G4 350, and most recently a Quicksilver Dual 800.

arn

GeeYouEye
Jan 13, 2002, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't have thought so many people owned so many macs. My stories are not nearly as impressive, though if you count the fact that I was pretty much the only person who used the Apple IIgs's at school I guess you could count them as mine. ;)

1987 My first computer and first Mac @ age 1.5: a 512k. Damn that was good for (now) retro games. Missile command and Sargon III(?) were the best. Also Star Trek Trivia, football, and a few others. Broke several years later, and I never found out why, though for a while, when I turned it on, it made a sound like a car with a dead battery. Now, (yes I still have it) it doesn't do anything. If anyone knows what it might be, I wouldn't mind knowing.

199? Mac LC: at the time, I thought it was great (ooh, color) but it is a piece of crap. I now use it for demonstrations on how to disassemble and reassemble computers in less than 5 minutes. It still works, although it needs and has needed a new pram battery for a LONG time.

199? SE/30: OK it wasn't MINE per se, but I used it a lot more often than my mom did. Games again, but this time i could put them on the HD and have them run at a decent speed. I still use it occasionally because it has a SCSI port that I can use with the Laser Writer II which I use because I can get the font small without it blurring, which is great for when you can have a cheat sheet in finals, esp. in Math.

1992? - 1998 a LONG dry spell. My dad got 2 PCs in the interim, one of which crashed on a monthly basis or worse. I think we had to reformat the HD on it about 10 times in one year.

1998 used PB540c great computer, but heavy as hell. Used it at school for note taking until something? happened to it and it would only sporadically work with the power adapter. Dual batteries was nice though.

1999 iBook rev A, blueberry: finally back into the modern era, i filled up the hard drive in a few months. Also, the power adapter died and had to be replaced, not once but twice. It has now passed on to my sister.

2001 iMac DV+, indigo (would have gotten sage, but they didn't have any): pathetically enough, my first mac with a working mic port. great computer, but an hour of video takes up a lot of space. Thank God for CD burners. My bad luck that I got it when I did: May 20, 2001. Why so bad? Two months later, Apple starts shipping new systems with Mac OS X, and announces that all Macs bought on or after May 21, 2001 can get Mac OS X for $20. Talk about bad timing. More bad luck with this system later.

2001, new iBook from Fry's (NEVER BUY A MAC THERE, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF IN ANY WAY THEY CAN and yes I have talked to other people who say the same thing): turned out that for an open box model (unused, but open-box, he said) we could get a $75 discount. Guess what else they took off (I will never trust them when they say "everything is in the box" again): the Mac OS X CD. My GUESS, is that the "open-box" was really them opening it and taking out the CD so they could resell it for a profit. Beyond that, it has so far been a great computer, although it is severely lacking in HD space.

That's all so far, although I have worked with about a dozen other models, not counting clones. At any rate, now iWant the new iMac, since I don't need a G5. The moral of this story, Macs are great even used, as long as you don't buy them at Fry's.

Falleron
Jan 13, 2002, 06:23 PM
ITs a fact that macs go on forever!

dinkum
Jan 13, 2002, 09:14 PM
Ah, Macintosh history.

Mine began back in high school in the late 80's. I was on the yearbook staff, and they had gotten a fancy new machine to do the yearbook layout... it was a Macintosh SE/30. I was the only kid on the staff who knew anything about computers, as my father had a variety of things through the house (but no Macintosh). So I ended up teaching the teacher how to use it, too.

I came to college and worked on campus at an office that provided support and consultation to students and faculty. We also sold computers, and this was around the time when the Classic swept the student body.

I went on working in departments, fluent in both Mac and PC. Bought a few older Macs to tide me over (a CI I got for nothing, etc.) and then bought a PowerMac 7100 the moment they came out. That baby lasted me longer than any PC ever did; I eventually put a processor upgrade into it.

A few years ago, though, I admit I turned my back on my religion and sold my Mac. I did get a cheap grape iMac a while back... sold it, too. But honestly, PC computing has never been FUN like Macintosh computing was.

So as my frustration levels with PCs have grown, to the point where my work machine, just a few weeks after a fresh OS install crashes multiple times per day, I can't stand it.

I'm going back to Mac. I'm waiting for my newly ordered Titanium and iPod to be delivered! And I'm having more fun already.

G4scott
Jan 13, 2002, 11:17 PM
You know, Apple is the only computer company to inspire people in this way. To me, it's not just another computer company, but a lifestyle, a way of life. I have not seen a PC user that has been affected in this way at all. But I can see why.

Apple is not in the computer business just to make money (I say 'just' because that is still part of what they do.) Apple (especially Jobs, go to the of Jobs and Gates thread.) has a mission, to change the lives of as many people as possible. Go to this page (http://www.apple.com/thinkdifferent/) and see for yourself. It describes what Apple's goal is. Not just some profit margin, but something far greater.

Call me obsessed, or whatever you want, but I will always be a die-hard Mac fanatic.

DakotaGuy
Jan 14, 2002, 01:50 AM
I've been hooked ever since I was just a little guy and my elementary school trashed out the Commodores w/cassette for Apple IIe's. I am telling you Apple IIe's rock! In High School we had Mac LC III's does anyone remember them? Wow I thought they were cool! (Sadly my old school has went PC since I got out, except for iBooks in the lower grades) Then I went to college and since I am in South Dakota I was surrounded by Gateway...I used them, cause they were handy...but once in awhile I just had to make the walk across campus to get to the one and only mac lab. I remember they were PowerMac 7100's and then one day I showed up there and I saw all new G3's that was before they put any color to the case. Wow I was thrilled. Well I couldn't quite afford a computer cause I was just a SD farm boy trying to get through college and besides my roomie had a Packard-Hell so what it was not exciting, but if you could make it though about 3 "blue screens of death" you could actually surf the net a little and maybe do a couple of emails. Then I bought myself a graduation present. "Macky" My iMac DV 400 Blueberry. That was May 2000 and today it runs great. I use it everyday and love it more and more. Not once has it needed any kind of repair. This Christmas Santa brought me a new iBook 600 combo drive. The only problem is I had to be Santa! When people talk about cheap PC's I can see thier point, I put some serious bucks into what I have and I am just a poorly paid teacher, but it is worth it. I would never buy a Daewoo, so why would I buy a Gateway??? I am hooked. I love the new iMac. I got a friend with a PC and he is ordering a new iMac. He is tired of all the PC breakdowns and staring at a boring box that crashes if you look at it wrong. He was still on the PC bandwagon until I showed him my new iBook with OS 10.1 running on it. He was hooked from the start. I told him I want him to get the new iMac just so I can play on it....hehe...since I cannot afford one for another year or two. He lives a few miles from me though...so I will have to make the drive....hell I made the walk across campus in SD blizzards to get to that Mac lab...so I don't see a problem!hehe Well just wanted you to know that I am hooked too...is there a hotline???

Mr. Anderson
Apr 14, 2002, 09:54 AM
I got a Power Mac 8100/AV at work and loved it. A couple years later I got my first mac, a Power Computing Power Tower Pro, 20" Sony Monitor, 256 megs of RAM, 2 4 Gig harddrives and an extern 4 gig drive. I loved it, eventually got a G3 CPU upgrade and kept it as my main machine until the G4s came out and got the first issue Sawtooth 450MHz G4 with dual 18 gig scsi drives, DVDRAM, zip and 512 megs of RAM. I'm still using that as my second machine today, I got a 667 TiPB in November.

I won't get another desktop until the G5s come out.

Mac for Life!

Geert
Apr 14, 2002, 11:59 AM
Congrats on your new addiction!

Oh and by the way join the club!

Gelfin
Apr 14, 2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Tommy!
thanks to sears i've had many macs for six months and taken them back! heres my apple history:

Hmm... Apple terminated their agreement with Sears because Sears wasn't bringing in any money on them. Here I'd been assuming it was because Sears hadn't been selling them in the first place. ;)

Grokgod
Apr 14, 2002, 12:31 PM
Oh the bitter sweet joys of love lost.

I too feel the pain of true love or is it lust for mac's.

At work its all Pcees, i toil in agony as those about me squeel at their screens. We workk hard to keep the server afloat and to try to keep workflow up as we deal with crashes and incompatibilies tween drivers
and appz and the horror of windoze.

During the course of the day i sometime mention that if we were working on macs we could get the work done faster. I try to make my coworkers understand that we should rise up and demand some mac workstations to prove increase work flow. The grunts freak and point the finger at me in accusation.

"Are you crazy" they pout " Macs are slow they are worthless without software" all the usual brainwashed pcees stuff.

"No " I reply " They work"

That has always been the root of my love for macs. They work!

My quiet sweet imac toils away without a word of anger. Its in its happy state of form and function. My ipod links up in its graceful manner and prepares all my music for my amusement. My tower reigns as king and makes the most difficult task fun and meaningful.

I have over 6 thousand dollars of Apple products. I look forwards to increasing that as soon as anything new comes out.

I need a new car but that will wait. My girlfriend needs new clothes and a haircut, but that will wait. My mother wanted some new fangled hair dryer but i am in save mode for the next mac convention. My shoes have holes in them but its no matter because the new powermacs will be coming and that will keep my heart warm!
Everything can wait!
And will because certain things are of greater import.
My love is true and sweet.

yet there is a bitter quality that seeps in when one must wait for love.
Worst if one is rejected! Or not given what one desires.

I dont take rejection well, who does?

vniow
Sep 30, 2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Grokgod

I dont take rejection well, who does?

http://adwoff.com/ubb/graemlins/smoochers.gif

scem0
Sep 30, 2002, 04:44 PM
One way to get rid of the obsession, in my case at least, is to look at the grossly overpriced products that come from apple. Sure it's a great operating system, but if you don't have the hardware to back it up, then it isn't that great of a computer.