Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ktoey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
San Dimas - LA area, CA
I just killed my iPhone 3G ( trying to board an inflatable boat in Long Beach, CA - salt water ! ).
So, I put the ATT SIM card in a generic unlocked GSM phone.
Immediately, I got a text message from an unknown number and looks scrambled, presumably from ATT.
Now the strange thing:
I got ALL my contacts back including the ones that I have deleted long long time ago !!!.
Are these historical contacts downloaded by ATT because they see a new phone on the SIM card ? .... or these are kept in my SIM ???.

Now the biggie question:
Should I wait for 5 ??????.
I am in a dillema. I am hoping to bypass 4S because I heard that 5 will have a 4 inch screen.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
ATT won't keep your contacts. I would assume you had saved some older contacts on your sim card. The contacts app and sim contacts are two different things. All, some, or none of your contacts can be saved to your sim while also being saved in the contacts app. It all depends on how you had things set up.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The contacts can be stored in the SIM, but the iPhone doesn't really use it. Presumably your contacts go put in your SIM a long time ago and ever sincce then the iPhone has never touched them. Did that SIM come from an even older phone?

When you do get a new iPhone you should really sync your contacts with iCloud (or Gmail or Yahoo) and then you'll be safe from ANY accident. If your SIM card had fallen to the bottom of the sea you'd be out of luck right now. You got lucky this time.

I am in a dillema. I am hoping to bypass 4S because I heard that 5 will have a 4 inch screen.

While non of us KNOW what Apple is planning, I'd seriously bet $1,000 that the next iPhone won't have a 4" screen. That's how certain I feel about that one.

ktoey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
San Dimas - LA area, CA
Apparently the SIM is filled first.

This SIM card comes with my 3G when I got it new.
I have about 75% of my contacts. Apparently the SIM card is filled first and then the contact apps. It does not have my latest contacts but does have contacts that I have "deleted". Strange !. ... but officer.. I have never seen that woman, I love my wife, and that mafia boss too...

Anyway, I haven't synched to my computer for about 9 months and I'll get that 4S and iClouds will solve future problems.

Thanks guys !.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.