PDA

View Full Version : Spigen Protects the iPhone's Screen With More Glass

MacRumors
Jan 30, 2012, 03:07 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/30/spigen-protects-the-iphones-screen-with-more-glass/)

The iPhone's glass screen may be made of Corning's advanced Gorilla Glass, but, contrary to Steve Jobs' assertion, that doesn't mean it is scratch proof. Many products exist to solve this problem, including ZAGG's InvisiShield (http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-iphone-4-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php) or rugged cases like Otterbox's Defender (http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4S-Defender-Series-Case/APL2-I4SUN,default,pd.html). Both solutions work well, but the feel of screen protector films bother some users, and though the Otterbox solidly protects the iPhone, it hardly maintains the svelte qualities that Jony Ive and his team worked so hard to create.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/01/glasstscreenprotector.jpg

As an alternative, Spigen has released a tempered glass screen protector (http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/sgp-iphone-4-4s-screen-protector-glas-t-premium-tempered-glass-series.html) to give an added layer of protection to the iPhone 4S. The 0.4mm thick glass protector completely covers the front glass (http://gizmodo.com/5880507/protect-your-iphones-glass-display-with-more-glass) of the iPhone, protecting it from damage and scratches. Spigen claims the glass is specially reinforced to increase shock absorbency and is three times stronger than standard protective PET film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate). As it's tempered glass, if broken, it breaks into smaller pieces that aren't sharp.

eCl1xdosfhM
The SGP GLAS.t iPhone 4 Screen Protector is available for $27.99 plus shipping (http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/sgp-iphone-4-4s-screen-protector-glas-t-premium-tempered-glass-series.html) on Spigen's website.

Article Link: Spigen Protects the iPhone's Screen With More Glass (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/30/spigen-protects-the-iphones-screen-with-more-glass/)

Macman45
Jan 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
Looks interesting, can't quite get my head around the application part though ....If it's glass, looks like putting on an ordinary screen film....Something I have never mastered, but at $27 you wouldn't want to mess too many up.

hobo.hopkins
Jan 30, 2012, 03:13 PM
Looks interesting, can't quite get my head around the application part though ....If it's glass, looks like putting on an ordinary screen film....Something I have never mastered, but at $27 you wouldn't want to mess too many up.

I was thinking that myself; it had better be fairly easy to apply or else one would be in a bit of trouble (and out $27...)

Tastannin
Jan 30, 2012, 03:16 PM
When in doubt, protect your iPhone with MORE glass! :rolleyes:

bigjnyc
Jan 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah like others have already mentioned, I would hate to mess up during that application and be out $27... I think I'll stick to power support even though that wont save you from hard falls and cracks (however I dont think anything thats not a full case will)

maattp
Jan 30, 2012, 03:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I've had my iPhone 4 for over a year now and the glass still isn't scratched. As long as you don't abuse your phone this really isn't an issue. The aluminum band, on the other hand, is all scratched up :(

syan48306
Jan 30, 2012, 03:37 PM
I bet you that last test with the wrench actually broke the screen and they were like oh **** we can't show that. XD

flash84x
Jan 30, 2012, 03:42 PM
How do you remove it?

Rocko1
Jan 30, 2012, 03:57 PM
Why do they keep inferring the iPhones still use Gorilla Glass?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1311957&page=2

Post 49 shows user pics.

BC2009
Jan 30, 2012, 04:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I've had my iPhone 4 for over a year now and the glass still isn't scratched. As long as you don't abuse your phone this really isn't an issue. The aluminum band, on the other hand, is all scratched up :(

I assumed that mine would not scratch, but I recently noticed tiny scratches on my iPhone 4S. I've never dropped it and the only thing that might have done it is my keys (which should not be able to scratch Gorilla glass). I usually keep the iPhone in a different pocket than my keys, but every once in a while I forget.

Close inspection makes me think the scratches may be on the underside though as the glass may have dropped at the factory. The scratches are so slight it is hard to notice, but now that I know the scratches are there they bother me.

There are a total of three extremely faint small scratches on the front (two front-and-center, and one by the home button) and one on the back on the bottom left. The reason I think the front glass may have fallen at the factory is because there is a tiny notch in the top-left of front glass by the silence switch under the coating that goes around the edge (not sharp because of coating, but a definite chip-like indentation). Anyway, the little notch never bothered me to drive across town to Apple Store, but the faint scratches that are in the center of the screen drive me a little nuts.

As far as the back-side scratch goes, I cannot guess what would have caused it. Holding the phone at an oblique angle does not reveal the scratches (making me think they are not on the outer surface). I have to be looking at the phone straight on and tilt it slightly away from me before they show up.

Anybody else getting scratched glass on their iPhone 4/4S with normal non-abusive use?

jephrey
Jan 30, 2012, 04:56 PM
I've also had tiny scratches from non wear and tear use. I segregate it from my keys and it gets its own pocket (of course I also forget from time to time). Aside from that, I do notice small scratches that I think are from somewhere else.

I will say that debris and dust can cause these scratches. Not organic maybe but if you have some ceramic chips or some other really hard material dust, it can do it.

Luckily I have a microscope handy (5X) and I just took a look at my screen. All scratches were surface but I suppose I didn't expect anything else. I didn't find any scratches on the "in"side.

FWIW, I also took my phone apart and put it back together a few days ago to fix a sticky home button... Still the inside of the glass looks good - although I didn't have to go between the glass and screen.

Yamcha
Jan 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
My brother has dropped his iPhone on few occasions and the glass broke.. In most cases I assume If you take care if it you'll be good..

But I don't understand why Apple does not use gorilla glass on their phones..?

Sardonick007
Jan 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Those scratch tests on the video are hilarious. Made my night! Love watching Apple related comedy. I do like the glass cover idea though, even if the scratch tests are about as stupid as the new samsung commercials.

Koodauw
Jan 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
Does it come in anti-glare version ;)

SuperCachetes
Jan 30, 2012, 07:54 PM

Kinda my theory. The kind of knocks or falls that will ruin your day, this won't help you with - but I have yet to see any kinds of scratches on the surface of my glass, with daily use.

Still, it's a neat product IMHO.

2 Replies
Jan 30, 2012, 09:01 PM
Glass on glass is a BAD idea.
The physics of glass dictates that any cracks in the 'protector' will easily propagate to the iphone, regardless of being tempered or not.
Add to that the fact that tempered glass and gorilla glass expand at different rates means you're MORE likely to get cracks.

justperry
Jan 30, 2012, 10:08 PM
The physics of glass dictates that any cracks in the 'protector' will easily propagate to the iphone, regardless of being tempered or not.
Add to that the fact that tempered glass and gorilla glass expand at different rates means you're MORE likely to get cracks.

While I agree with you on your first point, the second is just plain rubbish.

Plastic screen protector on glass would do a better job than Glass on Glass.

How much do you think the glass will expand, first there are no extreme temperatures, like 100s of degrees and second, the difference(in expanding and contracting-temperature coefficient) in both the iphones glass and the add on is negligible.
And then there is the glue between, it will act as a medium in between both layers that will give a bit.
The size of the glass is so small it will only expand contract just fractions of a mm in normal environments(temperatures).

buddybd
Jan 31, 2012, 02:15 AM
wth sounds from CSS? lol That freaked me out.

tahoeroscoe
Jan 31, 2012, 02:25 AM
looks pretty cool, scratch protection without the crappy rubber-plastic feel.

Rampant.A.I.
Jan 31, 2012, 02:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My brother has dropped his iPhone on few occasions and the glass broke.. In most cases I assume If you take care if it you'll be good..

They do.

Skika
Jan 31, 2012, 05:57 AM
Worst sound Fx-es in the history of ever.

bushido
Jan 31, 2012, 06:20 AM
28$? pfffff i can get a whole new 4S from my insurance company for 20 bucks

jabbawok
Jan 31, 2012, 09:53 AM

Ruuuuubbishhhh.

The bond between them wouldn't be strong enough to transfer the forces from one sheet to the other. The protector breaking would most likely absorb the energy needed to break it. Indeed I have had old original iPhones which have laminated digitiser and lcd (like the 4/4s), where one has cracked and the other has survived.

Rocko1
Jan 31, 2012, 10:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They do.

No, they DID.

jabbawok
Jan 31, 2012, 10:48 AM
No, they DID.

I think they have simply stopped using Dowe Corning's branding. Its very likely the same stuff used under licence.

bigjnyc
Jan 31, 2012, 01:01 PM

It's probably more expensive and that would mean Apple would have to raise the price of iPhones or eat the cost and hurt their plans to have a trillion dollars in reserve :rolleyes:

SchneiderMan
Jan 31, 2012, 08:01 PM
Apple doesn't use Gorilla Glass..

Cozmo85
Jan 31, 2012, 09:47 PM
Gorilla glass is just a brand name for chemically strengthened glass. Apple doesn't have to have gorilla glass to have the same product

Judas1
Feb 1, 2012, 02:45 AM
Either you use gorilla glass from Corning or you don't. Nobody else makes gorilla glass. While other companies can make their own chemically strengthened glass, it'll use a different process, and is most likely inferior to Corning's gorilla glass.

nmg196
Feb 1, 2012, 03:41 AM

What would be the point? The glass they use is the same product and just as good. Also Gorilla Glass has all the same problems as the new iPhone 4 glass - it can still be scratched and shatter etc as it's glass.

I don't really see the point in putting two layers of glass on your phone. The whole point of a plastic screen protector is that it helps stop the original glass from getting damaged by adsorbing the shock. Another layer of glass wouldn't do that you're likely to just break both layers as the shock will just transfer through. Glass isn't very bouncy and makes a poor screen protector.

Plus what's wrong with the plastic ones? Mine's been on for over a year and doesn't have any scratches on it yet. Looks like they're trying to solve a problem which isn't even a problem.

gpsouza
Feb 1, 2012, 09:12 AM
What would be the point? The glass they use is the same product and just as good. Also Gorilla Glass has all the same problems as the new iPhone 4 glass - it can still be scratched and shatter etc as it's glass.

I don't really see the point in putting two layers of glass on your phone. The whole point of a plastic screen protector is that it helps stop the original glass from getting damaged by adsorbing the shock. Another layer of glass wouldn't do that you're likely to just break both layers as the shock will just transfer through. Glass isn't very bouncy and makes a poor screen protector.

Plus what's wrong with the plastic ones? Mine's been on for over a year and doesn't have any scratches on it yet. Looks like they're trying to solve a problem which isn't even a problem.

So please tell me which screen protector you are using, because over the year I had some and they all ended with scratch and with a yellow dirty color (Back Zagg InvisibleShield).
The plastic screen will not do ANYTHING if damaged, it is simple not thick or bouncy enough to absorve damage. The point of screen protectors is to prevent scratches, not damage, and since glass is much more scratch resistant than any plastic screen protector, it would be nice to put some over our iPhone glass.

tbrinkma
Feb 1, 2012, 03:27 PM

Citation please. I know a lot of people look at Corning's customers page, and assume, because they don't see Apple listed, that Apple isn't a customer, but many companies don't list customers on those sorts of pages because their contracts with those customers say *not* to.

The known properties of iPhone glass match well with the known properties of Corning's Gorilla Glass. Apple doesn't put Intel Core i7 stickers on their MacBook Pros, but they still use them. Just because they don't advertise the use of Gorilla Glass doesn't mean they aren't using it

The lack of lawsuits relating to the Gorilla Glass story in the Jobs biography, I think we can safely assume that the story told there is true. Based on that, what makes you think they've *stopped* using it?

vincent.m
Feb 3, 2012, 04:15 PM
I have never though any kind of a screen protector was a good idea. As the guy at the Apple Store told me, the iPhone has the highest quality display out of any mobile device in the world. No matter how clear the protector is, it will always distort that at least a little bit, ruining the point of the retina display. As far as the tiny scratches people are getting on their phone, the front screen rarely scratches and when it does, its so small you can hardly tell when the phone is off and you can't tell at all when it is turned on. For the scratches on the back, you can pop a case on, or if your like me and have no case, if it somehow gets scratched you can get the back replaced by Apple for about the same cost as this screen protector.

The real problem with iOS screens is getting them smashed, and no screen protector would ever stop that (especially a glass one).

CTYankee
Feb 7, 2012, 12:11 PM

For what its worth I know a guy who casually mentioned his son works for Corning making glass for iPhones.

Another anecdote to toss into this incredibly important topic.

nuratrim review
Mar 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
Kinda my theory. The kind of knocks or falls that will ruin your day, this won't help you with - but I have yet to see any kinds of scratches on the surface of my glass, with daily use.

Still, it's a neat product IMHO.

I refuse to pay the money for these new smart phones. I work with aroud 300 people and there is someone every day that has had their phone broken or damaged buy a little knock.

bosco2012
Jul 6, 2012, 09:17 AM
I just note the Glass screen protector, it's so strong, and i am out!
I found it $21 on Caseswill, has anyone ever used it? Thanks.

check here:http://www.caseswill.com/0-4mm-tempered-glass-screen-protector-for-iphone-4-4s_p3488.html

miss.manson
Dec 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know if this works with the Speck Candyshell for the iPhone 4/4s?

rdokoye
Jun 20, 2013, 08:44 PM
I guess its okay; I think the protection that it offers is fairly limited, scratch resistance being the most pivotal. Id like something that offers some kind of shock resistance.