Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
A client of mine sent me their developed application's source code to submit to the AppStore. I have XCode and everything, but I'm getting the following error when I attempt to Archive:

Code Sign error: The identity 'iPhone Distribution' doesn't match any valid certificate/private key pair in the default keychain

Firstly, it isn't an iPhone app, and secondly, I've been reading developer documentation that is quite literally the most confusing instruction I've ever had to follow. I don't quite understand how certificate creation works, and there are two types of certificates I have the option to obtain, a development one, and a distribution one. Do I need both just to submit this app? Just one? Those are my biggest questions amongst others.

I'd greatly appreciate any direction possible.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Hmpf.
About the "iPhone developer", it won't change to iPad, so don't worry about that.
The thing is, you need an developer account, to actually develop on the device etc, and an distribution profile to distribute.. Like Ad-Hoc sharing, or App Store building.
Thing is, you need an distribution profile, which is CORRECTLY matched with your certificate, so just sending his distribution profile won't cut it, since it's matched with a private certificate in your keychain.
Then you need to archive it, and then you can build it to an .ipa for the appstore, those steps are quite logic, if you just follow the guide in xcode itself.
If you go to the app in xcode, set it's path to iOS device/or whatever device you have attached, press Product at the top, then archive, and when it's done, press the Share button. build for app store, etc.
Hope that helped a little.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
Hmpf.
About the "iPhone developer", it won't change to iPad, so don't worry about that.
The thing is, you need an developer account, to actually develop on the device etc, and an distribution profile to distribute.. Like Ad-Hoc sharing, or App Store building.
Thing is, you need an distribution profile, which is CORRECTLY matched with your certificate, so just sending his distribution profile won't cut it, since it's matched with a private certificate in your keychain.
Then you need to archive it, and then you can build it to an .ipa for the appstore, those steps are quite logic, if you just follow the guide in xcode itself.
If you go to the app in xcode, set it's path to iOS device/or whatever device you have attached, press Product at the top, then archive, and when it's done, press the Share button. build for app store, etc.
Hope that helped a little.

Thank you! This cleared things up a little, but not greatly. They setup a developer account for me to use to submit the app. When I enter the iOS portal to assign a certificate, there are two options for certificate. I don't understand if I need the developers certificate and the distribution one, to submit the app to the app store. Also, the process to create a certificate in the CA is confusing. I've actually already created the certificates, but I don't know how that corresponds with XCode and inevitably, the app I'm submitting.

Many thanks!

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Via your keychain, you need to request a certificate from an authority, (remove all your certificates in your provisioning portal).
After you have the .certifRequest thingy, SAVED TO DASK, don't send email, well, you can, but save to disk is faster.
Go to the provisioning portal, upload the certifRequest thingy. Now you have an Certificate, download that and save it to your keychain.
Now at the Distribution Profile, make a new one, make sure it's all set it up to match your application, like bundle id, the name (for eg. be.jNoxx.appName), if you don't know what that is, research a bit.
You only need the distribution profile to get it on the appstore, like i told you, you need to make a new one.
Go to your developer Portal, go to Provisioning, then the Distribution Tab.
Like I show here
http://cl.ly/1h2E2B3l1K1L0t1h1u1V
Make a new one, set it all up, download it.
And when you follow the steps in my previous post, it should all work out..

EDIT: You need to SIGN the PROVISIONING files, with CERTIFICATES. so these are all seperate things working together, if you double click them, and they are in your keychain, Xcode will recognize them, otherwise go to the organizer in Xcode, and click REFRESH at the Provisioning Profiles tab like i show here
-->
http://cl.ly/1U180c1O3S0v1z1p2t3i
Then press
Refresh here ->
http://cl.ly/2z0d1V1J021M3g32093M
Then it should take a while to load up after you entered the credentials, then u can actually use it i think ^_-
Good luck

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Thank you! This cleared things up a little, but not greatly. They setup a developer account for me to use to submit the app. When I enter the iOS portal to assign a certificate, there are two options for certificate. I don't understand if I need the developers certificate and the distribution one, to submit the app to the app store. Also, the process to create a certificate in the CA is confusing. I've actually already created the certificates, but I don't know how that corresponds with XCode and inevitably, the app I'm submitting.

Many thanks!

A developer certificate is for building a debug version of an app that can be installed on test devices.
A distribution certificate is for building a release version of an app that can be submitted to the app store. (I think, but I'm not sure, that this is also what one needs to do an ad-hoc distribution of their app.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.