Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Hi all, I am working with a client who has a Win 2008 server and a Sonicwall router he uses for his contractors so they can VPN in. They are all on Windows and I think a lot of what they do is just grab files. I know I can grab files via the VPN itself once I am set up.

My question is - can I run QuickBooks from his server? I am thinking the VPN will only work as a file share and only run programs if the machine attaching (ie my Mac) can run the program. (I have emailed Sonicwall and have yet to hear back from them, and my client doesn't know).

It also seems like Windows 2000 server will not allow Logmein to work, but it may allow Remote Desktop Connection.

My other alternative is to install Windows on my MB I guess.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,
Diane

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Hi

I would HIGHLY recommend against working on a database like file over a VPN

Much like Quickbooks, I use simply accounting, and using any database live over the internet is begging to have it broken.

Being that, any error in the vpn or your internet connection could create an error in the data being sent back and forth and cause corruption in the database. Not good at all.

You say thay they are running server 2008? If so, RDP can work just fine. Just don't set up the user login in to have an Administrator account, that begging for trouble.

The reason why Logmein may not be working could be a restriction of the local firewall on the server. Sonicwall wouldn't be the problem. But if they have a support contract on the sonicwall, you should call them.

Again. Don't run the database over the vpn your going to be asking for a bag of hurt.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Thank you so much! That is just what I was looking for.

The reason I say Logmein won't work is from some google searches I made. It seems it lets you log in but you can't actually do anything but look at what's on the screen. Not sure if this is a 2008 issue or not, or if there is a way around it. The couple of threads I read hadn't found a solution.

But if RDP works, I am good with that, as I will be able to print locally if need be.

Thank you again. :)
Diane

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Does this work like RDP on a desktop? Where only one person can do so at a time? And if someone is working on the server for some reason (less likely than them working on a laptop in the office), will it boot them off?

But this won't affect the VPN connections, correct?

Thanks again!

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
You're correct in that only one user can be using the server at a time (unless you want to look into Remote Desktop Services, but there are additional costs for that).

Where do the VPN connections terminate? on the SonicWall or the Server? If it's the server VPN connections and file-sharing will be fine, providing the logged in user (RDP) doesn't try and stop the service or shutdown the server ;)

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Did you mean the server for the connections terminating or the router? Just want to make sure before I say anything.

I certainly wouldn't be shutting anything down on purpose. :)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Being that, any error in the vpn or your internet connection could create an error in the data being sent back and forth and cause corruption in the database. Not good at all.

<snip>

Again. Don't run the database over the vpn your going to be asking for a bag of hurt.

Nonsense. If what you're saying is true, then ISDN, Frame Relay, and MPLS connections are also bad, yet they have been used for years. TCP has error checking built into the protocol. If the checksum doesn't match, a packet is resent.

Additionally, if a database connection is broken, the transaction is rolled back. Simple as that.

You're correct in that only one user can be using the server at a time (unless you want to look into Remote Desktop Services, but there are additional costs for that).

You get 2 remote connections and 1 console connection for free.

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
You get 2 remote connections and 1 console connection for free.
That's only partially true. With server editions you can run RDS in "Remote Desktop for Administration" mode, which allows two administrators to connect to sessions on the server, but I'm pretty sure using QuickBooks on a server isn't administration ;)

@Diane - Do you use the SonicWall VPN client to connect? If you do then your VPN connection terminate at the firewall, if not then you may be terminating connections on the server (Routing and Remote Access should be visible in the Administrative Tools section if this is the case).

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
That's only partially true. With server editions you can run RDS in "Remote Desktop for Administration" mode, which allows two administrators to connect to sessions on the server, but I'm pretty sure using QuickBooks on a server isn't administration ;)

You can enable it and use it without cost in this case. There are no licensing restrictions on what you do with it in this mode.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
@Diane - Do you use the SonicWall VPN client to connect? If you do then your VPN connection terminate at the firewall, if not then you may be terminating connections on the server (Routing and Remote Access should be visible in the Administrative Tools section if this is the case).

He's sending me NetExtender. I haven't even had a chance to research that yet. I did read some other threads here saying they had trouble with SonicWalls client and had to use another. I'll have to search again but it may be another couple of days before I get this installed.

Thanks!

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
You can enable it and use it without cost in this case. There are no licensing restrictions on what you do with it in this mode.
The licensing states that it is for server administration only (which is a big restriction in this case, if you ask me), but as it's not my server I'm not going to argue over licensing and EULAs with you.

If you're using NetExtender then the VPN terminates at the router/firewall which means you won't disrupt other VPN connections. Depending on how fast your internet connection is and how often you'll need to login and use QuickBooks, you may be better off installing a copy of Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac (assuming it's reasonably spec'd) and just saving a copy of the QuickBook files to the server. Unless the client requires the files to remain on the company network only.

Last edited:

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The licensing states that it is for server administration only (which is a big restriction in this case, if you ask me), but as it's not my server I'm not going to argue over licensing and EULAs with you.

I'd be happy if you had a link to reference this. Everything I've read doesn't dictate what you do over the connection.

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
It's all available here, takes a bit of reading though. Simply put, you cannot use/access desktop applications remotely on a server OS unless you are licensing RDS in application mode.

There's nothing physically stopping you from doing whatever you like, but you are violating the EULA which can have repercussions.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks for the help!

Installing Windows on my MB is an option, just one that will cost me. I will probably end up having to do it at some time for other clients though (the ones the like to shut their laptops right after I log in for instance <sigh>)

I'll let you know how it all pans out. :)

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Update - Got everything working (though it's not at the moment, at least I know it did).

I didn't realize NetExtender was the Sonicwall client :eek:

So I have to connect with that first, and then use Logmein to actually use the server. Last time I was in there was nothing in my profile but at least we know it works.

Thanks for all the help! :)

Diane

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.