Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Currently I take my early 08' Macbook everywhere with me and at home hook it up to my FW 400 external/scratch disk and work from there.

I've been tempted to get the early 2011 13" MBP (I have a few important PPC applications) but want to know before I lock one in if it's possible to use the server Mini as a sort of docking station over Thunderbolt.

Say I'm working on a FCP7 project on the road and when I get home I can hook it up to the Mini and finish it from there with the two machines working as one?

Would such a thing work if the Server is running Lion and the MBP Snow Leopard?

I'd also like to use a 1920 x 1200 monitor as well, could I screen share the two as an extended desktop and use PPC applications?

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
If you're running Lion you will not be running PPC apps. You'll need 10.4-10.6 for that.

As far as connecting the Mini and MBP via Thunderbolt to share resources that also is not possible.

However if you connect the two over thunderbolt you could use target disk mode by holding the "T" key at boot on the MBP.

That would make the Mini mount the MBP's HD like any regular external drive.

Hope this helps.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Honestly I have no idea what I'm talking about and thats why I'm asking.
I'm getting kinda tired of sitting around waiting for a free space at my campus' computer lab to use FC or whatever so I'd like to use a MBP to work on what I can there and plug it into a mini at home and finish there.

I suppose what I'm asking is if the Mini can be used as a cluster or whatever it's called to offload some work from the MBP? I know QMaster I think distributes the FC/Logic workload between multiple computers right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.