Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

percival504

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
I'm moving from a dual core MBP to a hexacore 3.33 Mac Pro (apropos nothing: I am going to install 2 X25-es and 32GB RAM - I expect that it will... umm fly :)).

Can I just install my MBP boot drive in my Mac Pro (as the boot drive)? The MBP drive is based upon the original OS that came pre-installed. As I understand it, when that is the case, the OS will not work on different hardware - for example, I know that you can only use the recovery disk on the computer that it came with - or am I mistaken?

I ask because I am running a little wiki server now (Lion Server), and I cannot find a decent answer about how to migrate it.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
If you have the latest 10.6.8 or 10.7.x version installed on that MBP, you will have the drivers for the 2010/11 Mac Pro, thus can use it as boot drive. You could also put the MBP into Target Disk Mode and clone the MBP's HDD onto the MP's HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.

That's correct.
It accomplishes the same thing as moving the hard drive, but saves you the trouble of physically moving drives.
I believe with a firewire cable you could also use migration assistant on the new computer to copy the users and applications to the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.