Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
I was at the apple store asking a few questions about the mb air and the customer service guy said that apple is working on the mb air having a touch screen.
Could this be true??

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
As the above poster said, maybe but I can almost guarantee it WON'T happen. MAYBE we'll see a touchscreen iMac, but who even know's if that will come through.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
The Air can do anything any other Mac can do, just in a smaller, more portable way. I have an Air and wouldn't trade it for anything, and you can buy the SuperDrive for the Macbook Air so you can play CD's/DVD's.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
As the above poster said, maybe but I can almost guarantee it WON'T happen. MAYBE we'll see a touchscreen iMac, but who even know's if that will come through.

I would like that for sure on my iMac.

----------

The Air can do anything any other Mac can do, just in a smaller, more portable way. I have an Air and wouldn't trade it for anything!

I have been eye balling them. lol
But the iPad 3 is a definite buy for me.

----------

What does that have to with touchscreens?

Just thought you would know how they compare.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Steve Jobs shot down the idea of a touchscreen Mac when Lion was announced. While it's possible that Tim Cook thinks otherwise, or that Apple will change course if Windows 8 notebooks with touchscreens take off, I think it is highly doubtful for the foreseeable future.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I was at the apple store asking a few questions about the mb air and the customer service guy said that apple is working on the mb air having a touch screen.
Could this be true??

Chances that there will be a touchscreen: Low.
Chances that the customer service guy knows: Zero.
Chances that someone who knows would tell you: Zero.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
This is one simple fellow. But that Lenovo Yoga does look pretty neat :).

@OP No, probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
This is one simple fellow. But that Lenovo Yoga does look pretty neat :).

@OP No, probably not.

looks promising IMO. The main challenge I see here is if windows 8 can properly handle the 2 different uses of the machine. Wasn't apple themselves moving toward bridging ios and osx?

Either way competition is good guys.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
looks promising IMO. The main challenge I see here is if windows 8 can properly handle the 2 different uses of the machine. Wasn't apple themselves moving toward bridging ios and osx?

Either way competition is good guys.

It's definitely interesting. That's about the only way I can see the macbook line getting touch screen functionality.

I'll admit, I've always wanted like a 15" iPad, but I think I'm in the minority :)

The iPad is a giant Phone??? HUH????:confused:

Oh come on, you know what he's saying. The old "iPad just a big iPhone" argument. It's inherently flawed, but don't act like you don't know what he's talking about...

I joined this forum just to say some of you ipad lovers are pure :eek:

The ipad is just a giant phone. The mac air is a good netbook. The macbook pro is computer.

Adding a touchscreen to anyone of them does not make it an ipad. I own zero apple products but I will buy a mac air, only if it comes with a touchscreen. I shouldn't have to move my finger all over a touchpad to open a link or a drop down menu.

Otherwise Im waiting for the Lenovo Yoga, watch the youtube video demonstration. Apple will need to compete with windows 8 and convertibles. And if they are so advanced and ahead of everyone, that starts in march because windows 8 comes out 2nd half of the year.

Speed is everything for me and the ipad is a big slow phone/toy, nothing else.

ZOINKS! Is this flame bait? Cause I'll nibble.

The iPad is no more a "giant phone" than android tablets are giant phones. The run the same OS's as phones sure, but honestly which does an iPhone have more in common with, a computer or a telephone (remember those things with buttons and a cord? An iPhone is really a mini computer that makes phone calls. iOS is simply a new computer operating system along with OS X and windows. It was built with simplicity and ease of use in mind, that's why some may see it as "not as functional as a real PC"

Slow?? Wow sir, yeah wait till windows 8 comes out on tablets and then come back and tell me all about how slow the iPad is... :rolleyes:

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
I own zero apple products

obviously. apple is better off without you.

I shouldn't have to move my finger all over a touchpad to open a link or a drop down menu.

so you don't use laptops? and apple has key commands for doing those things.

I am having trouble believing this guys whole post... that really just happened?

troll along the slums of a windows rumor forum or provide actual feedback instead of sharing with us how much you hate apple and are too lazy to use a track pad. I'll bet you use a mouse? cuz that is soooooo much easier.

maybe look around the forum a bit and see not everyone here has a crappy attitude like you. Instead of trying to stir up things in trollville, people actually come here to give/receive advice.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I am completely against touch screen computers. Is it just me? It's a gimmick. The only way it could work would be if the screen moved closer to you, but it still seems pointless to me. Definitely pointless on a laptop.
And just think of the horrible smudges on the screen.

All tablets are giant phones. Until they compete with desktops thats all they will be, toys/giant phones, sorry, the performance is not there.
Define: Compete. They already compete... in fact they are winning. Apple sold more iPads than HP (the top selling pc maker) sold "real computers" last quarter! And the performance is right with them. I challenge you to find a $500 laptop that operates faster than the iPad 2. The speed is one of the main reasons I like my iPad, much faster than my old macbook.

Yes I am too lazy to use a track pad, thats my main point of wanting a touchscreen laptop. and WAY too lazy to care about short cut keys, isn't the idea of apple ease of use?
Ok... so you're too lazy to use a trackpad, but you don't think your arms will become tremendously tired from constantly picking up to touch the screen? Try this, hold both of your arms straight out in front of you for 1-2 minutes, then rest them on the keyboard. now, every time you want to interact with the screen lift up your arm to manipulate the screen. It won't be long before you'll notice how much strain it causes and how annoying it is. And I know you'll be too lazy to switch the laptops orientation every time you want to type and every time you want to touch the screen. You'll probably just wish there was a keyboard on the screen so you wouldn't have to switch back and forth...

...slow, yes, I am very picky on how fast something opens on a computer and how fast it changes programs, its 2012, I shouldn't have to watch a load bar or wait long for open/close, I've used an ipad 2 and im not impressed with its speed.
I really don't understand this, it's pretty blazingly fast. Especially for it's size. Maybe you tried opening some poorly written apps. The only wait time I've ever seen on my iPad 2 is when I have a poor internet connection or also on one particular slow app.

imromo24

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Define: Compete. They already compete... in fact they are winning.

you don't think your arms will become tremendously tired from constantly picking up to touch the screen? .....And I know you'll be too lazy to switch the laptops orientation every time you want to type and every time you want to touch the screen. You'll probably just wish there was a keyboard on the screen so you wouldn't have to switch back and forth...

I really don't understand, it's pretty blazingly fast. Especially for it's size.

I totally agree it is fast for how small it is. Its just that it is common to say if the processor in a device isn't above 3.0 ghz and ram over 8G, its "slow". By compete I mean in that regard.

Why would I have to switch orientation to type? Its touchscreen in all orientations.

Windows 8 will include a small optional "thumbs" keyboard on the touchscreen so you can type with two hands without crossing over, like holding a video game controller.

What I actually hate on laptops is having to go from keyboard to touchpad, then locate the arrow, move it and select, when very quickly I can go from typing to touchscreen and back much faster.

----------

Slow?? wait till windows 8 comes out on tablets and then come back and tell me all about how slow the iPad is... :rolleyes:

watch the Lenovo Yoga on youtube, looks pretty sweet and fast even as a prototype.

The mac air SHOULD be the first with Ivy Bridge processors, that my new friend will be fast.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
I totally agree it is fast for how small it is. Its just that it is common to say if the processor in a device isn't above 3.0 ghz and ram over 8G, its "slow". By compete I mean in that regard.

Why would I have to switch orientation to type? Its touchscreen in all orientations.

Windows 8 will include a small optional "thumbs" keyboard on the touchscreen so you can type with two hands without crossing over, like holding a video game controller.

What I actually hate on laptops is having to go from keyboard to touchpad, then locate the arrow, move it and select, when very quickly I can go from typing to touchscreen and back much faster.

----------

watch the Lenovo Yoga on youtube, looks pretty sweet and fast even as a prototype.

The mac air SHOULD be the first with Ivy Bridge processors, that my new friend will be fast.

But it certainly won't be above 3ghz. Doesn't that conflict with your philosophy?

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
In any case, it is a toothless argument against the track pad. Anyone who has used it wouldn't say that it is a chore. The Apple track pad is intuitive to use, I feel I have complete control of all functions with just one hand, simple. I don't see the need for a touch screen.

imromo24

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
But it certainly won't be above 3ghz. Doesn't that conflict with your philosophy?

True, I'm sure it will push high 2's, 2.6 to 2.8ghz, and with apple operating system I suspect it will function like an older low 3ghz computer, probably faster if done right in the os

3.0 ghz Is just a rule of thumb, operating system, ssd, ram, graphics chips, wifi cards...all contribute to over all user experience of speed..

illini71

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
After years of using touch screen i have come to absolutely dislike them for tablet sized screens. Just the thought of having to sit there and finger peck at a screen make me ill.

Apple needs to make an invisible touchpad with all the gestures in the iPad as an option.

IMO Apples touchpad is so good there is no need for a mouse let alone a touchscreen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.