Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Australia
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14245398

I know the OP posted a duplicate post somewhere else (which was also closed), and I know he deleted his initial comment shortly after. That wasn't great forum etiquette… BUT, there was really no need for this. The thread had developed into an interesting discussion about why people get so emotional/fanatical about their choice of mobile platform. Did the forum moderator who closed this actually read the thread, or just knee-jerk react to someone who didn't like it?

ipoopsplinters

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I think they thought since the original post was gone, new people coming in wouldn't know how to reply. As if people couldn't read further down for the discussion. I got this nice little automated message from the mod telling me i'm naughty for making duplicate threads and to not do it anymore. I messaged back a little frustrated asking to have it put back, giving ideas how it could be changed to fit the forum better and trying to work this out. The response i got after trying to work it out was "Well maybe you should start a new thread". To which i replied...whaaaaa? And abandon the great posts that people took the work to put there?

He...or she (or whatever) replied with "don't be short with me". Hey. I just wanted to work it out and salvage the thread without being told to make a new one. Sorry for acting annoyed, but i was. Hopefully we can get it moved back. I'm trying to work this out with him her or whatever

kalsta

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Australia
Okay, well I don't think you're furthering your cause by referring to the moderator as 'whatever'… But it does sound like they were alerted to the duplicate post and just trashed both, disregarding the polite discussion that a number of us had contributed to in one. I guess that's the way it goes in a busy forum with mods who are trying to be efficient with their time. Unfortunate though for those of us who invested our time to post some thoughtful comments.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Okay, well I don't think you're furthering your cause by referring to the moderator as 'whatever'… But it does sound like they were alerted to the duplicate post and just trashed both, disregarding the polite discussion that a number of us had contributed to in one. I guess that's the way it goes in a busy forum with mods who are trying to be efficient with their time. Unfortunate though for those of us who invested our time to post some thoughtful comments.

I've restored the thread back to iPhone forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1316431/

but without the original post it's a bit odd of a thread.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.