Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Weekly Photo Contest Feb. 1-7 2012 // Cats

Topic: Cats - everyone takes cat photos. Everyone gets tired of cat photos. So let's do a contest on cats! Creativity is encouraged! As long as the theme of the photo fits "cat" in some way, it'll work.

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

cabernar

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
Ottawa
This one will take some explaining...

This was taken on the flight line during an exercise. The aircraft and technician both belong to 410 Squadron, RCAF. 410 Sqn is better (and sometimes hilariously) known as the Cougars.

F-18 by cabernar, on Flickr

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
5607865722_a41dbecfd3_b.jpg

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
kiwipizza.jpg

Canon Rebel T2i + 24-70mm f/2.8L
32mm, 1/50s, f/2.8, ISO 6400
Processed with Neat Image and Topaz Adjust

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Technically I should end entries tonight, but I am going to keep it open until tomorrow morning around 9ish eastern time. I plan to do the judging tomorrow evening.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Contest entries are now closed. I will do the judging this evening.

BEN779

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2011
Bb.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328627973.152187.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328627973.152187.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 169

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Whoops! I totally forgot to judge last night. At least the book I was reading was good (Sun of Suns by Karl Schroeder). Let's do this real quick now.

Well, I'll start it off. This is a picture of my cat, Kozmo.

Pretty kitty. Focus is just right on the eyes, and it looks like you were pretty wide open since the nose is a bit blurry. It seems a bit under exposed, though. Still a nice picture to start off with.

This was taken on the flight line during an exercise. The aircraft and technician both belong to 410 Squadron, RCAF. 410 Sqn is better (and sometimes hilariously) known as the Cougars.

F-18 by cabernar, on Flickr

I'm glad someone got creative in the cat theme. I really like this shot, too. The jet wash really does interesting things to the plane in the background. The person in front is nicely in focus, and you get bokeh plus jet wash for the background for a really neat look. My only complaint is that without the explanation there's no way to tell it is related to the cats theme.

Mufasa! Do it again! Mufasa! I hope this was a long lens you used. I'm not sure I'd want to be that close. There's a lot of potential power feeling here. And yet there's also a relaxed feeling, too. This is definitely a king among cats.

On the prowl.

This is a good environmental cat portrait of a cat doing what they do second best. You've captured the focus the cat has on it's victim/prey pretty well. The B&W treatment brings out the strong textures in the leaves, wood and cat's fur.

Brothers In Arm(chair)

6811200141_a9f299b70c_z.jpg

And this is what cats do first best. :) I'd like to recommend getting down lower at the cats' level instead of standing above them. I can also tell you used on-camera flash. If you could use something else for light, like a lamp on the side of the chair, that would create a nice mood to the lighting. If you had a flash you could take off-camera, that would work, too, of course.

403283_215175898573221_100002424372943_435517_1254816655_n.jpg

My kitty, TC. First picture with my grandfather's SLR I've been happy with!

Bath time! This is an example of getting down to the cat's level for the picture, too. The focus seems to be off the face a bit, though, and on the side next to the head. That's where my eye keeps going, anyway.

I like this perspective. And you got up nice and close and still had good focus on the face.

kiwipizza.jpg

Canon Rebel T2i + 24-70mm f/2.8L
32mm, 1/50s, f/2.8, ISO 6400
Processed with Neat Image and Topaz Adjust

Another good perspective. I like the "caught in the act" look on the cat's face, too. I hope the pizza was all gone by the time the cat investigated the box. :)

My little Mimi girl...

I have a shot of one of my cats (now no longer with me...) in mid-yawn, too. It's a fun moment to capture.

That left eye has some interesting colors to it from the window light. It must have been late (or early) in the day since the light has the warm color of golden hour to it. I keep going back to that freaky colored eye...

Poor wet kitty... I like the reflection of the floor in the kitten's eyes. Good job getting the exposure on the face without completely blowing out the backlit background.

Just a Wondering Cat Shot ;)

I like the toned treatment here. My only complaint is that the nose is the focal point and not the eyes.

barclay - I have no image from you to judge...

A little late, but since I blew judging on time, I'll accept the entry. Definitely a cutie kitty. The eyes are a bit too dark here for my preference.

Thanks for entering everyone! As usual, it is tough picking a winner. But, winners there must be.

3rd - whodareswins
2nd - Sideonecincy
1st - jabbott

Cutest cat award - El Cabong

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
Thanks for entering everyone! As usual, it is tough picking a winner. But, winners there must be.

3rd - whodareswins
2nd - Sideonecincy
1st - jabbott

Cutest cat award - El Cabong

Thanks Keleko! My cat Kiwi also thanks you for the judging, and thankfully the pizza was already gone. ;) I'll need a little time thinking up another topic... I'll post something tonight. If anyone has any contest topics they would like to see, please let me know.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Thanks for judging, Keleko. That one grew up to be a little butthead, because his mom (who named him Monkey) didn't really get the whole "discipline" thing.

cabernar

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
Ottawa
Thanks Keleko for judging, and for the kind words. As the week went on, I was mildly worried that I had overstretched the creativity. Plus, I'm really more of a dog person. ;)

This is probably my favourite photo that I've taken. I almost didn't get it at all, because just as I was taking it, a senior NCO rather aggressively inquired as to the location of my photo permit...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.