Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i set my G5 to boot optionally from the second HD i have installed?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hold down the OPTION/Alt key right after the startup chime sounds and select the volume you want to boot from.
Or go to System Preferences > Startup Disk.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
and how do i set that disk up with OSX so i can work with it?

Nov 28, 2010
located
and how do i set that disk up with OSX so i can work with it?

You mean, you have a second HDD, but there is no OS installed onto it?
If so, use CarbonCopyCloner to clone your existing OS onto that HDD or use the grey Restore CD, that came with your Mac, or the Retail DVD you might have of Leopard, to install Mac OS X onto that second HDD.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I dont want to clone the OS already installed cause my mac is not working so good with that configuration, i want to make a clean installation so i can set all things right from the beggining

Nov 28, 2010
located
I dont want to clone the OS already installed cause my mac is not working so good with that configuration, i want to make a clean installation so i can set all things right from the beggining

Then insert your Restore or Retail CD/DVD containing the Mac OS X installer and perform an installation and choose the other HDD as target. If it does not show up as option to install to, format it properly like in the guide shown below.
How to format a new HDD/SSD to install Mac OS X or make a bootable copy onto - select Apple Partition Map instead of GUID though​

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
ok i will check it, and by the way, once i set it up will be able to see the original HD so i will be able to transfer my files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.