Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What app do you prefer for your books?

• Total voters

HoddzDJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
England, UK
Okay, so this has been a question that I have always wondered out of curiosity who uses what and why. So out of iBooks and the Kindle app, which is your favourite? I have both installed and find myself using the Kindle app more.

Please answer the poll and then explain your reasons. One reason I don't want to see popping up is 'because it's cheaper than the other' because we are all looking for ways to save money! Any other reason is fine.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use Kindle and Kobo, which mirror my two e-readers (Kindle and Sony).

The main reason why I don't use iBooks is that I don't feel I need yet another app for reading - I'm happy with Kindle and Kobo and never considered the need for an additional one. I also read somewhere that you can only read books bought through iBooks in iBooks - but with my Sony especially I buy books from a range of providers, some in my native language, which I just assumed might not be available through iBooks.

Romac

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2012
I also use the Kindle app. Mainly because I have a Kindle (which is still my main reader) so its nice to have my collection consolidated across the board, synced etc.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Yes, agree with the others, the sync feature is also very important to me.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Aside from a largely similar reading experience..the jump feature in kindle is good, as are group highlights.

Additionally, iBooks is consistently 50-75% more per book than kindle store...so for me it's a no brainer.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I find myself using Kindle. I haven't bought any books in a while, but the last time I looked, several that I was looking for were only available in Kindle format. It works for me, so I haven't really looked back to see what I might be missing.

BubbaJones

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
East Coast
I like the kindle app better for a two main reasons:

I have two Kindles (Gen 1 and a Gen 3), so sharing the books amongst the three devices is a huge plus.

I also like how the Kindle app displays the pages. iBooks has a bit of a cheesy look to it, in my opinion.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I prefer the Kindle app too. I've never really got on with iBooks but I do wonder if it's now down to what I'm used to, as iBooks has come a long way since the first time I've used it. But I suppose as I've books in Kindle already, it's unlikely I'll switch. I hate fragmentation of my libraries. I end up wondering where one particular book is. I also suffer from some books bought in country specific stores, but that's another issue. (and the fragmentation issue also applies to files in different apps but that's another thread ;) )

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
Kindle App. . . . My wife and I have Kindles. I also have Kindle apps on Android phone, wife's iPhone, iPod, Mac, Win PC etc. Bigger book selection and the ability to read on more devices.

Discaciate

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
The apps themselves are fairly similar...
But when it comes to the whole experience, Amazon has a huge advantage. iBooks ecosystem is far behind amazon.
And the fact that I have a Kindle makes the choice even easier.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
I prefer the appearance and functionality of iBooks, but Kindle books can be used on many more platforms, so I buy more books from Amazon.

lee14160

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2009
Fruitland, Idaho
I use my Kindle when hiking and the iPad when in the house. I like the ability to change the screen color from just white to Sepia or Night in iBooks, and along with Calibre you can convert just about any format to epub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.